Navigating the MyCE Forum locks up my computers

vbimport

For several years I had no problem navigating the CD Freaks Forum as DigaDo.

Then came the MyCE changeover. At first all was as it was with CD Freaks. Then, around the new year my password no longer worked. Every attempt to reset it or take a new password failed. I abandoned my DigaDo identity and reregistered as VoxHumana.

That worked for a time until MyCE Forum navigation caused my circa 2006 Dell Pentium 4 HT computer (with Windows XP MCE 2005 and 2GB RAM) to freeze-up. I’m also a member of several other forums, AVS, TCM, etc., etc., where there had been no similar navigation problems with that computer.

A few months ago I purchased a new Dell, an AMD Athlon II dual core computer (with Windows 7 Home premium and 4GB RAM). It’s the same situation, MyCE Forum navigation freezes-up this new computer. Navigating the other forums is no problem.

This is a MyCE problem, not my problem. I’ve been thinking MyCE isn’t worth the trouble. What say you?

[QUOTE=VoxHumana;2539926]For several years I had no problem navigating the CD Freaks Forum as DigaDo.

Then came the MyCE changeover. At first all was as it was with CD Freaks. Then, around the new year my password no longer worked. Every attempt to reset it or take a new password failed. I abandoned my DigaDo identity and reregistered as VoxHumana.

That worked for a time until MyCE Forum navigation caused my circa 2006 Dell Pentium 4 HT computer (with Windows XP MCE 2005 and 2GB RAM) to freeze-up. I’m also a member of several other forums, AVS, TCM, etc., etc., where there had been no similar navigation problems with that computer.

A few months ago I purchased a new Dell, an AMD Athlon II dual core computer (with Windows 7 Home premium and 4GB RAM). It’s the same situation, MyCE Forum navigation freezes-up this new computer. Navigating the other forums is no problem.

This is a MyCE problem, not my problem. I’ve been thinking MyCE isn’t worth the trouble. [B]What say you?[/B] [/QUOTE]

I say no trouble here at all :disagree:

Forum is being upgraded …

:flower:

Today has been an extraordinarily bad day for pages to load, but I’ve never had the forum freeze up my computer.

I’ve used everything from old computers with Nforce2/AMD XP processors, to dual and quad core Intels, to my newest build…an AMD Thuban 6core machine. Accessing the site and navigating through it has not caused hang ups for me with any of these machines.

Which browser are you using? Firefox works just fine for me. What kind of download speed do you have?

It is true that MyCE has had occasional days where we’ve had server problems (including today I suspect), but that happens to most sites eventually.

IE6 can cause problems like this when using the MyCE styles but I’ve never seen anyone report any problems with recent browsers and there are hundreds of thousands of users registered here.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I’m using whatever IE version comes with Windows 7 Home Premium. We have Comcast broadband service (around $50 per month when bundled with Comcast Cable) with a Motorola cable modem and Trend wired router, both perhaps around a year old. During late February/early March we briefly used a D-Link DIR-655 Router but our daughter reported that it was inferior to the Trend router for her downloads so the Trend went back into service. On the same network my wife has a circa 2007 emachine and my daughter has a new HP, both using FireFox.

When you say your computer will freeze up, does that mean that you have to re-boot by pushing the power button (no mouse/keyboard response)? Or, does the page loading just stop for a bit.

RM

[QUOTE=RichMan;2539995]When you say your computer will freeze up, does that mean that you have to re-boot by pushing the power button (no mouse/keyboard response)? Or, does the page loading just stop for a bit.

RM[/QUOTE]

The older Dell often had to be rebooted as a gray overlay would appear over MyCE as it would appear to be loading but that could go on for hours if left that way. There was no way to minimize or close the screen and there was no other computer functionality. Rebooting–holding the power button–became necessary with most visits to MyCE. If I remember correctly Control/Alt/Delete was of no help–the power button was the only way out.

With the new computer the gray overlay continues to appear when moving from one sub-forum to another sub-forum or even a different thread. Again, there appears to be loading but nothing ever happens. The difference is that I can minimize the screen and leave it that way and see that nothing is happening (except the little circle keeps going) even hours later. If I attempt to close the screen I get a box that says that the program has stopped working. There are choices to let it attempt to recover on its own, to close the program or attempt to restore the program. If I close the program I can return to the normal desktop. Then, when I click IE it will open without MyCE after which I have restored functionality. With the new Dell I haven’t had to reboot the computer because of MyCE, at least not yet. Not only do I not have any problem with other discussion forums, but I’ve not had any IE navigation problems with a wide range of websites with this new Dell computer.

Weird. [B]Never[/B] seen anything like that.

I can move this to the bug reports forum if you like. Maybe one of the developers would have some insight into this.

Have you tried other browsers? Chrome or Firefox for example?

I haven’t used other browsers.

My camera batteries just gave out but I was able to snap a photo of the gray overlay just before that happened. Photos of the other conditions I’ve described will have to wait.

I’ve had similar problems (continuing and ongoing)

I.E. 6 wouldn’t work at all I.E.7 is spotty and I am often forced to close an unresponsive I.E.8 browser.

And before one of the MS-haters speaks up and I suggest they put their mouth on various body parts of a dead rhinocerous I’ve had similar problems on another system with Firefox.

If this forum beta were commercial software not only would it get a bad review, but I’d have Ted Kazinski forward my hate mail to the person responsible.

This SPECIFIC website is the one I have the most problems with.
(cnet has been suffering from “the slows” lately)

AD

I use IE7 & except for the occasional slow page load I have no problems.
There have been a few times when I couldn’t get the site to connect at all but others were having the same problem .
Also Opera or FF wouldn’t load connect either.
I use the Google Siteopt test template for browsing here.

I’ve reported this to the website development team. Let’s see if they have an answer.

Here are two more of today’s MyCE screen shots illustrating conditions reported earlier. (Well, they were here a minute ago.)

Here is another of today’s MyCE screen shots illustrating conditions reported earlier. Darn, MyCE froze-up on the second photo. I’ll try it again and if it doesn’t work I’ll see if it can be attached in yet another post.

OK, here’s an attempt to post the final photo. Well, it locked up twice trying to post this photo but it looks like it’s finally here:

The first photo in post #14 is blurry as I was rushing to snap the photo before the batteries gave out.

Just a second or so before that photo was snapped the icons in the center of the gray screens had been the rolling circles–indicating activity–but that activity did not produce results.

The screen shot shows the enlarged version of the thumbnail at the right due to the mouse cursor being placed over that thumbnail screen. Had I clicked on one of those thumbnails the rolling circle icon would be restored and active in the full screen view of the thumbnail.

I would estimate that it took at least an hour to post the last four photos due to the glitches and freeze-ups. In the past attaching and posting four (or five) photos to a single CD Freaks or early MyCE post might take as long as three minutes. I continue posting photos at AVS, certainly there are hundreds of photos I’ve posted as “DigaDo” at AVS, and I’ve never had any problems at AVS like those MyCE currently puts in the way. “MyCE Beta” says it all. Don’t call it “good” just yet.

TCM is another Message Board where the regulars have to outsmart the Jive software in order to be able to post. Is MyCE using Jive software?

No problems here, and I think it’s using vbulletin.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2540008]I’ve had similar problems (continuing and ongoing)

I.E. 6 wouldn’t work at all I.E.7 is spotty and I am often forced to close an unresponsive I.E.8 browser.
[/QUOTE]

IE6 will work with the older styles but I couldn’t use it with the MyCE ones.

I’ve never had any such problems with any of the more recent browsers though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

No problems here using all machines and all browsers :confused:

What happens if you use the “older” styles?