National Semiconductor unveils Trusted I/O for Motherboards

This is the beginning of the end. George Orwell was right, he was just 20 years early… :c

I just posted the article National Semiconductor unveils Trusted I/O for Motherboards.

While most  software and downloadable DRM protected audio/video content are using software  based locks in an aim to prevent unauthorised duplication, they all have a  common weakness in...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9165-National-Semiconductor-unveils-Trusted-I_O-for-Motherboards.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9165-National-Semiconductor-unveils-Trusted-I_O-for-Motherboards.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

It’s the end only if people buy the stuff. If it doesn’t sell, it won’t be sold…

Well Its gonna be hard if they pass federal laws requiring chipmakers to include the technology under the “Patriot Act” or some other bullsh*t smokescreen… If Intel puts this in their chips then AMD surely will too as they will market it as some security “enhancement” that everyone will want. Microsoft will of course be leading the pack with XPSP2 already showing signs of this with its “DEP” feature. I guess we will have to buy our future computers in back-alleys or succumb to the whims of the media giants and big-business and government zealots. It is truly a sad time. Innovation used to be about bringing technologies that improved lives, or entertained, or helped society. Now it is all about $$ and invasion of privacy and control by the media. I am afraid that the cat is out of the bag and I don’t know if we will ever see the glory days of the 80s and 90s again. We can only hope I guess.

If you pay close attention, and your a programmer you quickly realize there is nothing in this hardware that would stop you from getting a virus. No matter how much you encrypt something there is nothing in the system that prevents a virus from simply deleting encrypted data. The only thing these types of systems do is enforce hardware DRM just like in the XBOX or PlayStation. That’s the only reason they exist. They’re just a hardware DRM system forced upon consumers. This is very dumb and won’t work for two reasons. One to force people to use it Intel and AMD have to remove the feature that allows you to turn this DRM hardware off. Most people like myself will turn it off and just not use the software that uses these features. Once they remove the ability to turn it off, anyone selling computer chips without these DRM measures will quickly become the number one chip maker in the world. They’re very dumb to push this onto people. You can’t sell a product that no one wants to buy, it’s the most basic of basic economics.
[edited by chsbiking on 04.10.2004 04:00]

You know man, corporations remember me a sort of dictatorship…usually they impose you what they want, no matter what you think.

Both AMD and Intel have DRM in the chips now. For the most part if your computer has PCIe you have DRM now (it’s just not enabled yet) Some of the Intel P4s have it and everything after it will have it. I don’t know chip numbers from AMD. But Microsoft forced? them both to support it. And thanks to the free market (monopoly) they had no choice. I will never buy a computer with copy protection. Most programs and all the data (mp3s…DVDs) on my computer are not legal. So what if there are 10Ghz computers coming if I can only run and do what some corporation says I can do with my computer. Apple supports DRM too, so forget about them.

One thing we should not forget that the Chinese are in development of non-DRM computer chips seeing that the Taiwanese will succumb to corporate America. The Chinese don’t care they have much to lose if they go DRM. They already went their own way by producing DVD players using their own proprietary decoder and encnoder. The Chinese may force the electronic giants of the western world yet. Give them a few years to catch up…and they will!!! In the meantime, a 2.8GHz motherboard is more than enough for ur MP3 and movies…:X
[edited by icepax on 04.10.2004 12:50]

I call BS. There is no DRM in processors right now. The next generation…probably, but not current chips.

I agree. I think we should keep a close eye on this. May create a forum focused on this issue were we can discuss different motherboards. This way we know where and what to buy.