National - DVD+R-DL (DVD+R9) 8.5GB

vbimport

I had recently purchased a 50 disc pack of this brand (National) and my experience with this brand has been nothing other than a pain in the neck.

Before I begin explaining whatever I have done so far, I’ll include details about these discs and its manufacturer:

OptiArc AD-7240S capabilities on these discs

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:MBIPG101-R10-065]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]
Manufacturer Name : [Moser Baer India Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [MBIPG101]
Media Type ID : [R10]
Product Revision : [065]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x , 3.3x-8x]

Hex dump of ‘media code’ block

I have attempted to burn these discs using multiple burners, three, to be exact. None of the burner(s) were able to complete even a single successful burn. Out of the 50 pack, I have already accumulated 15 coasters, with 100% fail rate.

The burners that I used were:

• TSSTCorp SE-208AB
  • Sony OptiArc AD-7240S
  • Matshita DVD-RAM UJ8E2 (OEM-laptop)

All the burners were of course, updated to the latest firmwares available via the respective manufacturers.

I always used imgburn to burn these discs and at the maximum possible optimized settings after doing proper research. The available write speeds were variable from burner to burner, as the TSST burner offered 3x,4x, the OptiArc offered 4x,6x,8x, while the Matshita offered only 2.4x,6x. I have tried all possible combinations and all possible write speeds in each burner to no avail.

I also attempted to investigate the write strategies present within my OptiArc burner since I believe this is the most powerful and better burner than the other two I have. Initially, on older firmware that the OptiArc came with, there was NO write strategy present for the discs I was using (MID: MBIPG101-R10-065), so I updated the firmware for the OptiArc to the latest available for it (v1.04).

After updating the firmware for the OptiArc, I was now able to find a write strategy for these discs, however, the burn processes still failed. The errors were ALWAYS the same, irrespective of which burner was used, i.e., write error/medium error.

Burn Logs:

Therefore, I would seriously advice AGAINST purchasing any dual layer discs from this brand name (National), no matter what.

Setting fire to your money would probably be more exciting and enjoyable than purchasing these crappy discs and have to deal with it.

I would also like to add something else that I have tried:

I extracted the firmware from the device and replaced the write strategy for the MBIPG101-R10-065 with the write strategy for RICOHJPN D00-001 so that I could get the 2.4x write speed on my OptiArc AD-7240S. After doing so and restarting the computer (so that the changes take effect), I tried burning another disc, but the burn process failed, as usual.

burn log (MBIPG101-R10-065 replaced with RICOHJPN D00-001 at 2.4x)

Then, I tried another write strategy to see if it worked any better. This time, I chose to replace the write strategy for MBIPG101-R10-065 with the write strategy for RITEK D01-001 (2.4x). Again, I tried burning a disc with this write strategy, but the burn process failed again.

burn log (MBIPG101-R10-065 replaced with RITEK D01-001 at 2.4x)

Also, as can be seen from the previous burn logs posted, I have even tried using these discs as a normal, single-layer DVD+R by burning less than 4GB of data to the disc AND making sure that all the data is burned onto the first layer (L0) only. Even this method didn’t produce a single successful burn. This leads me to believe that even the first layer of the DVD isn’t fit for burning any sort of data, let alone making use of the complete disc.

The reason why I have been researching and trying so much to get this working is because I simply wanted to make sure that it is indeed a faulty disc manufacturer and not just a problem with the compatibility with the burner that I was using, a write strategy issue or a write speed or any other setting related issue.

I have found the only suitable DL discs to be Verbatium DL+R. I have very seldom had a problem when using Image Burn or Sly Soft"s burning program. That way I don’t waste my money.