NAS are they worth it?

I am looking at NAS storage.
My question to all you freaks out there:
Are they worth it?

I have a phillips 5990 dvd play and love the usb connection.
Whats better.
external HD or NAS?

[QUOTE=WebRat;2297500]Whats better.
external HD or NAS?[/QUOTE]

It depends what you want it for; if it’s going to be used for one computer in one location then USB external drive is fine, but if you have multiple PCs spread over a household using WLAN, then NAS is definitely the way to go. If you have a decent audio-visual setup, then it might be worth considering a wireless multimedia centre with a decent sized HDD.

Sláinte

midders

Take one old PC, add some HDDs (and an eBay RAID card if you feel the need) and NASLite-2 (or -M2) and you will have a functional home NAS. Attach it to the back of your wireless router and it’s available from anywhere you get your wireless connection.

My NASLite-M2 server has 3TB in 2 x RAID-5 arrays - been running flawlessly for two years now (previously used NASLite-2 on the same hardware).

[QUOTE=WebRat;2297500]I am looking at NAS storage.
My question to all you freaks out there:
Are they worth it?

I have a phillips 5990 dvd play and love the usb connection.
Whats better.
external HD or NAS?[/QUOTE]
Depends on what you use it for.
I have a gigabit NAS with a DLNA server inbuilt - great for watching avi’s on a PS3 and general storage. It can also download torrents - and chews up considerably less power than a full desktop PC. It’s relatively convenient if you want to take files to a friends place, and they have a proper network.

However, it’s bulky & requires separate power supply & can only be used via ethernet, which is quite frankly, slow compared to external USB or E-Sata drives.

It’s OK for moving files to occasionally, and having 24/7 access … at home, but for most people, I’d not feel at all uncomfortable suggesting it’s next to useless.

If you want something to just haul files around with, go with an external USB/E-Sata HDD, or even a player with inbuilt HDD.