Name a book you'd like to see made into a movie

vbimport

This is a topic I see on various forums around the net from time to time. Thought I’d see where your tastes lie.

Personally, I’ve been reading sci-fi and fantasy novels for much longer than I’d like to admit, and there are a few that I would like to see made into movies, but not the huge blockbuster, giant explosions, over the top CGI stuff we’ve been seeing from Hollywood lately. No, I’d like a quiet exploration of a good story, with real emotional impact.

So, my first suggestion would be a sci-fi story by Ursula LeGuin, called The Left Hand of Darkness. This is a classic “what if” story in sci-fi. The question it asks is “what if” there was a group of humans, isolated from all other humans, who had only one sex most of the time? How does that change society? How does it affect relationships? Most of the time these people are neutral in sexual orientation…they have no permanent sex drive, no natural division into two branches. They have been altered so that they only have sexual desire at certain times of the year, and can assume either male or female roles at that point.

This book is also a story of two people forced into a harrowing journey across a frozen wilderness, depending on one another under desperate circumstances, and becoming more and more drawn to one another in that journey.

My second choice is a far less well known story, called The Death of the Necromancer. Written by Martha Wells, it is set in a world that is most similar to Victorian England, but this world also has magic. The protagonist is a cold, calculating man…an underworld crime lord, set on revenge for the man who adopted him. But his character is not one sided, and his own sense of honor forces him away from his path of vengeance when a danger to his entire city appears. A long time opponent with a deliberate resemblance to Sherlock Holmes is also drawn in, and they combine forces to stop the rise of a relentless killer.

So, what are your choices?

I woud really love a very good (So no Will Smith!) movie adaptation of the Asimov books starting with The Cacves of Steel and all the other robot books. I don’t care if it’ll be a trilogy or something else.

In this novel, Isaac Asimov introduces Elijah Baley and R. Daneel Olivaw, later his favorite protagonists. They live roughly three millennia in Earth’s future, a time when hyperspace travel has been discovered, and a few worlds relatively close to Earth have been colonized—fifty planets known as the “Spacer worlds”. The Spacer worlds are rich, have low population density (average population of one hundred million each), and use robot labor heavily. Meanwhile, Earth is overpopulated (with a total population of eight billion), and strict rules against robots have been passed. The eponymous “caves of steel” are vast city complexes covered by huge metal domes, capable of supporting tens of millions each: the New York City of that era (wherein much of the story is set), encompasses present-day New York City, as well as large tracts of New Jersey.

Asimov imagines the present day’s underground transit connected to malls and apartment blocks, until no one ever exits the domes, and most of the population suffer from extreme agoraphobia. Even though the Robot and Foundation series were not considered part of the same fictional universe until much later, the “caves of steel” resemble the planet Trantor.

In The Caves of Steel and its sequels (the first of which is The Naked Sun), Asimov paints a grim situation of an Earth dealing with an extremely large population, and of luxury-seeking Spacers who limit birth to permit great wealth and privacy. Asimov, who described himself as a claustrophile, mentioned that a reader asked him how he could have imagined such an existence with no sunlight, and related that it had not struck him until then that living perpetually indoors might be construed as unpleasant.

Another movie adaptation i’d like would be Journey Through The Night.

Journey Through the Night (orig. Dutch: Reis door de nacht) is a novel, originally in four volumes (1951–1958), by Dutch author Anne de Vries centering on the impact of the Second World War in the Netherlands on a Christian family. It was translated by Harry der Nederlanden in 1960.

The book is divided into 4 parts:

Part one : Into the Darkness
Part two : The Storm Rises (published in English under the title The Darkness Deepens)
Part three : Morning Glory (published in English under the title Dawn's Early Light)
Part four : The New Day (published in English under the title A New Day)

The main character is Jan (in the translation John) de Boer. He is the eldest son of the family. During World War 2, the 5 year German occupation, he gets involved in the Resistance.

The Storm Rises

Two years have passed. The family is getting used to the war. But father De Boer joins the Underground Resistance. Jan and his sister Guusje (in the translation Tricia) also get involved. At the end of the chapter a meeting of the Underground Resistance is thwarted by the Germans and the family must go underground. During the last chapter, Uncle Gerrit hides in the house from Germans while the rest of the family escape. He is forced to use the house’s secret tunnel to escape from the Germans and he flees into the forest. The de Boer family house in destroyed by a German grenade and burns to the ground. The book finishes with the de Boer family hiding in a forest as the Germans destroy their house.

Morning Glory

After the Germans have destroyed the house of De Boer, Jan is in hiding. An old friend joins the Fight Force (Knok Ploeg (KP)). After his adventures in the FF the force is been betrayed and Jan must go into hiding again.

Another would be Frank Herbert’s The White Plaque

When an IRA bomb goes off, the wife and children of molecular biologist John Roe O’Neill are killed on May 20, 1996. Driven halfway insane by loss, his mind fragments into several personalities that carry out his plan for him. He plans a genocidal revenge and creates a plague that kills only women, but for which men are the carriers. O’Neill then releases it in Ireland (for supporting the terrorists), England (for oppressing the Irish and giving them a cause), and Libya (for training said terrorists); he demands that the governments of the world send all citizens of those countries back to their countries, and that they quarantine those countries and let the plague run its course, so they will lose what he has lost; if they do not, he has more plagues to release.

After releasing the plague, he goes to Ireland to hide, planning to offer his services as a molecular biologist in the hopes of sabotaging whatever work is done there on finding a cure. When he arrives in Ireland, he is suspected of being O’Neill (whom the investigatory agencies of the world have deduced is responsible). To travel to the lab at Killaloe, he is forced to walk with a priest, a boy who has taken a vow of silence due to the death of his mother, and Joseph Herity, the IRA bomber who detonated the explosive that killed O’Neill’s wife and children; their purpose is to confirm his identity, either through Herity’s indirect questioning, or the possibility that he will confess to the priest when confronted with the pain his revenge has caused for the boy.

Meanwhile, law and order have broken down in England and Ireland, and the old Irish ways are coming back. Local IRA thugs appoint themselves “kings of old”, and others recreate ancient Celtic pagan religions centered on the rowan tree. The IRA has effective control of Ireland, but as the governments of the world grow certain that O’Neill is there and essentially in custody, they consider wiping out the three targeted countries to end the lingering threat.

[B]The Portable Door by Tom Holt[/B] would make an excellent film. And there are a couple of sequels, so the studio could really cash in. Also another Tom Holt book, [B]Barking[/B]. A tale of squabbling lawyers with a twist - the blood-suckers are just that, vampires, and the ambulance chasers are warewolves. :cool:

[B]Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman[/B] would also make a great film. BBC Radio 4 broadcast an excellent dramatisation of it over Christmas (available on CD if you missed it).

A book I would [I]not[/I] like to see made into a film is [B]Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams[/B] (on any of his other books). The Hitchhiker’s Guide film better than expected, but expectations were so low to begin with. It felt like the producer had read the book (or more likely had his secretary read it) but completely missed the point, every single one of them. The same goes for the Dirk Gently TV series - everything that made it great had been removed.

But if you could recruit, say, Dirk Maggs, Neil Gaiman and… maybe Terry Jones as director (the other Terry would overdo the special effects), restrict the budget enough and completely eliminate Hollywood from the process it could be a wonderful film. Shame Handmade films are no longer in business, they made some very enjoyable comedies in the '80 with minimal budget.

The was a similar thread a while back. Maybe it was just about books.
In it Kerry suggested " The Left Hand of Darkness ". I read this book & enjoyed it.
So a couple of comments on it .
The gender of the planets inhabitants changing for mating reminded me of the Star Trek series Vulcan Pon Farr with a different spin.
Read the book in the Summer so after a few chapters you can go outside & warm up. If you don’t feel cold while your reading it your not reading intently .

Now for some of my suggestions ( I’ve made some of them before) .
J. R. R. Tolkien’s (Actually finished by his son) The Silmarillion which is sort of a prequel to The Hobbit & the Lord of the Rings trilogy .

The John Carter of Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs .
I know they made a few that were their takes on " A Princess of Mars " .
That is just the first of 11 books in the series.
I think the movies underplayed the Tharks jeweled armor & IIRC they wore more fur . The Tharks had close to a Klingon philosophy (or it is the other way around).
Since ERB wrote them a long time before Star Trek .
I would like to see movies about this series follow the book closer.

To comepletly change direction. Some good Westerns .
Any movie based on a Louis L’Amour novel.
The last good Western movie I know of was “Unforgiven” from 1992 it was written by David Webb Peoples.A screen play writer .

Unless you want to count “Rango”. :bigsmile:

Back in the 1979 the BBC made a three-part television adaptation of [B]Running Blind by Demond Bagley[/B] (probably his best thriller). It was shot on location in Iceland with lots of stunning scenery.

But I’ve never seen it - the BBC hasn’t repeated it nor released it on video/DVD. :sad:
(I would even consider breaking rule 3 to see it.)

It would make a superb film. The plot and narrative of the book are quite cinematic in style, so it should be easy to adapt into a screenplay. But once again it probably be better done on a small budget. Hollywood would inevitably rewrite the whole thing for a big star, completely unsuited to the role, add lots of CGI and turn the whole think into an unrecognisable blockbuster worthy of a Razzie. They might even move the location to downtown Manhattan and call it Die Hard 7. :rolleyes:

@ Ibex ,
I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for but I found this :

link removed by mod

I only found it surfing so I have no idea if this is a dependable site or source .

Edit: Sorry cholla, but reading the description in that link, it is a violation of copyright. Home copies are perfectly legal, but they cannot be sold without permission from the copyright owners. I’ve no personal objection, and even sent Ibex the same link before you posted, but its not something we can discuss in the open forum.

By the way, I agree with the L’Amour books as a source for more Western movies. [I]Flint[/I] or [I]Reilly’s Luck[/I] would both be good.

Choosing more sci-fi might be difficult. There are some obvious choices like [I]Rendezvous with Rama [/I](which I found boring), or [I]Ringworld[/I], but many wouldn’t translate well to the screen. Too bad they totally screwed up [I]Starship Troopers[/I], else [I]Armour [/I]would be a fine sci-fi/action film.

The edit is OK with me.
I wasn’t too sure about it anyway.
I wouldn’t mind watching it but I wouldn’t order a copy from the removed link.

It is like a VHS I ordered some years ago of a different movie.
This one was supposed to be a commercial copy but wasn’t.
I guess the seller had the original.
I have since seen it available as a DVD but it looked like a “homebrew” to me .
Like the one in the link so I didn’t even try it.

I would like to see a movie version of Tom Clancy’s “Without Remorse.” I always thought his John Kelly/John Clark character had as much potential as Jack Ryan for being interesting and entertaining.

I would agree on L’Amour books for Movies I have read a lot of them.
Tom Clancy is another author I would like to see put to movies, he has a lot of series that I read years ago.
OP Center
Net Force series
and the Power Play series are some I remember

Not quite entirely in line with the original topic but on the same theme.

I’d like to see John Grisham’s “Street Lawyer” made into a better film.

It’s one of the most gripping and fulfilling books I’ve ever read yet the TV only film was terrible.

[B]Wombler[/B]

On “basically” the same subject, I would like to see the movie companies make a movie according to the BOOK, not try to jaz it up. I loved Edgar R Bourroughs John Carter Books, and the old Matt Helm “Super Spy” and, Nick Carter KillMaster agent of AXE. Maybe to old???

Marty