Nagg with WinXP Pro and Plextor PX-W4824A

I have Windows XP Professional with SP1 installed on my PC and I also have an Plextor PX-W4824A CDRW drive.
Just after the installation, the Plextor drive was shown as “CDRW Drive (D:)” in Windows Explorer.
Recently I have updated the firmware of the CDRW to 1.03 and Windows detected the CDRW again but now it shows up as “CD-ROM drive (D:)” in Windows Explorer.
I have tried removing and reinstalling the drive, I have tried everyhting and the drive still shows up as CD-ROM.

I can burn CD in it, I can use ait as before but it’s just bothering me that it shows up as CD-ROM instead of CD-RW.
Can I do something to make the drive show up as CD-RW again ?

the bios off the drive sends information to the computer. with that information the computer creates an icon and name the drive.
if you flash the drive you also change the info that is send to the computer. and now the computer may create a normal cdrom icon instead of a cdrw icon.
had the same with my pioneer DVD drive. with the old firmware it is reconized as a DVD drive in explorer. flashed to a newer version and now the drive is reconized as a standard cdrom drive.

so use a firmware that send the right info to the computer.
the other method is to edit your register and manually create a icon and name for the drive.

Trust me, I’ve tried that, it is not a BIOS or a firmware problem but a Windows problem.
If I reinstall Windows it will again see the drive as CD-RW drive, but once I flash a new firmware it will change to CD-ROM drive.

My plex 40/12/40 is also seen as CD-ROM after flashing in XP. And i don’t care it burns everything lol

Originally posted by Alexandrus
Trust me, I’ve tried that, it is not a BIOS or a firmware problem but a Windows problem.
If I reinstall Windows it will again see the drive as CD-RW drive, but once I flash a new firmware it will change to CD-ROM drive.

Yep it is a Winblows problem because I have had the same thing happen to me.

I have plexwriter 10/24/40A and XP pro. It won’t burn. It identifies itself as a CD-RW but it won’t burn anything. I’m told I need some firmware. Do you know where and what I should do? I don’t care if it calls itself a ROM, so long as it burns cds.

rsvp

indywim

[QUOTE=Maelstrom;352845]the bios off the drive sends information to the computer. with that information the computer creates an icon and name the drive.
if you flash the drive you also change the info that is send to the computer. and now the computer may create a normal cdrom icon instead of a cdrw icon.
had the same with my pioneer DVD drive. with the old firmware it is reconized as a DVD drive in explorer. flashed to a newer version and now the drive is reconized as a standard cdrom drive.

so use a firmware that send the right info to the computer.
the other method is to edit your register and manually create a icon and name for the drive.[/QUOTE]

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Well although this involves the resurrection of a 6 year old thread, i guess your hardware’s age justifies it :slight_smile:

It would be helpful if you would write more info about what exactly the problem is. What do you mean when you say “it doesn’t burn anything”? Did the recorder work before and now it does not? Is there any error message? What software do you use for recording? What media?