N00b ? - Easy I Hope. Playback Issue

vbimport

Hello all,

I am new to the forums but I have been backing up my personal DVDs for quite some time, until recently, with no problems.

No Problem: DVD backed up to file (no issues). DVD burned to blank media (no issues).

ISSUE: Backed up DVD will only play on a PC. Unable to playback in stand-alone (standard home media) DVD player (two different ones) or PS3.

I am hoping that this is just a setting someplace that I am overlooking. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Same results on any number of application combos. Ripped primarily with AnyDVD or DVDFab HD (Newest of both). Have tried numerous combinations to initiate burns (DVD Shrink, ImgBurn, DVDFab).

The common denominator seems to be Nero 8 (Primary burning app).

I have been through Nero settings until my eyes are crossed and I can’t seem to solve this issue. Can anyone lend a hand?

What is the blank media you are using? If you are using dvd+r blank media then in burn settings for dvd shrink you need to check book type dvd-rom.

Thank you for responding! I am using Sony +R which has worked well for me in the past. I’m not burning coasters, the DVDs will play in any PC I put them in. I just can’t play them in stand-alone players.

I looked for the setting you mentioned in DVD Shrink but did not see it. However, every time DVD Shrink kicks off the burn phase, it [U]does[/U] indicate that the Book Type is set to DVD-ROM.

I want to verify your suggestion though. [I]Burn Settings [/I]under the [I]File I/O[/I] tab in [I]DVD Shrink Preferences[/I] only has two check boxes:

1. Enable burning with Nero
  2. Erase media that is not blank without prompting

This leads me to think that it is a Nero setting but I have not yet been able to find it.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Most of times playback problems are due to a bad burned media, and most of times this is due to a low quality disc.

Sony discs are not exactly the very best, and often gives a lot of errors after the burn.

What burner do you have? Did you installed latest firmware available for that drive? At what speed did you burn these discs?

Do you have a reliable burner to run a quality test of your burned media? For example a Lite-On burner.

About the settings in DVD Shrink, I suggest to disable both settings and save the shrinked files as ISO on your HDD first, and then use any burning software to burn the ISo on a disc.

To change booktype you can use ImgBurn, but also nero should allow you to change it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the welcome!

I have a Samsung SH-S162 with the latest firmware. I have also tried on a BenQ DW1620 and a couple of others (I can’t recall the make/model ATM) with the same results.

I don’t have a Lite-On at the present time but I have backed up a ton of DVDs and have only been having this issue for a few weeks.

I know going to buy new media is probably the next step but I have 20 or 30 DVDs downstairs burned to the same Sony blanks that worked just fine.

I am willing to go buy another stack of blanks if you guys think it will help but unless Sony has changed the way they press blanks, I remain skeptical. Seriously open to best media suggestions though.

Are you trying single layer or dual layer discs?

As suggested, try saving as an ISO through Dvd Shrink to your hard drive, then burn the ISO with ImgBurn. You have nothing to lose because it’s free. If it fails, ImgBurn creates a burn log, please post it.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Just single layer …thank you!

[quote=beef barley;2042612]As suggested, try saving as an ISO through Dvd Shrink to your hard drive, then burn the ISO with ImgBurn. You have nothing to lose because it’s free. If it fails, ImgBurn creates a burn log, please post it.

http://www.imgburn.com/[/quote]
Not sure how to save as an .iso out of Shrink but I will make it happen if possible. Logs will follow in the morning. Thank you.

[QUOTE=soonerkid;2042656]Not sure how to save as an .iso out of Shrink but I will make it happen if possible. Logs will follow in the morning. Thank you.[/QUOTE]
Remember this is for making a backup of a factory DVD you own.& the copy protections have to be removed by a program like AnyDVD .
Here’s the quick tutorial on Shrink to .iso.I’m sure you can find more detail by searching the forum if you need to.
I’m going to assume you have already shrank the files & have them in a VIDEO_TS folder on the HD & the copy protections have been removed.
1.Load the VIDEO_TS folder in Shrink You can use Full discsince it is already compressed.
2. Then select Backup in the “Target Device” pulldown select ISO image file.
3.Browse for a target folderon the HD where the .ISO will be.
4. Use a program that will burn the .ISO to disc.I would use ImgBurn in write mode.
btw you can build the .iso with ImgBurn from the Shrank DVD files.& then write it with ImgBurn.Which is what I would do myself.

[QUOTE=soonerkid;2042656]Not sure how to save as an .iso out of Shrink but I will make it happen if possible. Logs will follow in the morning. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

After pressing the “Backup” button, in the following window select save as ISO image :slight_smile:

I have been wickedly busy at work. I don’t want anyone that offered help to think I’m blowing them off.

I did get one good burn using the .iso suggestions you guys made …but that is all I have had time to try.

I will do some more tests later tonight and tomorrow and post the results. Again, thanks a ton for all your input.

There is a Shrink version for ImgBurn around here somewhere. The download that is.

[QUOTE=Bob;2043826]There is a Shrink version for ImgBurn around here somewhere. The download that is.[/QUOTE]

How about a link

[QUOTE=cholla;2043832]How about a link[/QUOTE]I believe this will do it > http://forum.videohelp.com/topic341447.html there is even a guide :wink:

I have it installed :iagree: