Mystery spots on cdrs

vbimport

Help! my music collection is being ruined by mysterious spots appearing on my cdrs, causing them to no longer play. :sad: the spots are a sort of murky colour and are visible from the top and bottom of the cd. I mostly use TDK cdrs with the white paint and “toughness coat”.

does anyone know why this happens or if it can be prevented?

maybe the record labels have sabotaged them! :a

The spots might be due to excess heat, a few years ago leant my friends my playstation 1 and all of the games, he stacked the games next to a radiator and because of that the discs came back with little dots all over them, and only a few of them would play properly.

Sorry to hear your music collection is having problems…

Proper storing and care are paramount for CDRs and DVDRs. No excessive heat, no direct sunlight, reasonable humidity levels (<85%) etc… the burning dye is a sensitive chemical component, which stability depends on these factors.

Leave a CDR out of its box, recordable side up, in a car, exposed to sunlight, in summer, for 5-6 hours only, it’s dead.

A bad burn (too high writing speed for the media, for example) can produce these spots, refered to as “dye melting” (you may google on that). These just get worse over time, so it may go unnoticed at first until the CDR/DVDR starts to have problems.

Record labels (“doughnut shape” only of course) on CDRs are rarely a problem, unless you peel them away, which may definitly destroy the media completely…

Sorry to tell your disc was exposed to high temp causing mysterious spot. The dye is too sensitive for temperator and humidity variation.

i thinks humidity caused the reflective layer to oxidise, probably allowing the dye to contact with the air and evaporate.

thanks guys… also i forgot to mention that i keep my cds in those cd books, where you slip them in. apart from the obvious risk of being scratched on their way in or out, do you think that environment may cause excessive humidy as there is less ventilation than in conventional jewel cases?

it’s known that those cd-slip volumes can cause them to degrade because they cannot air or they adhere. PVC plastic which is used in the cheapy ones are the main offenders - like shower curtain material. They tend to stick to the discs over time and keep the humidity trapped in making the layer oxidise or peel faster. PP based plastic slips are acceptable however