Mysterious loss of speed

I have 2 burners, Lite-On and BTC. My system is 3.0Ghz, 2GB RAM. Everything use to work normal. The average ripping speed use to be around 11x, and writing not less than 8x, on both drives. Now something happened, and both drives can’t even break the 2x speed limit on both reading and writing. I assume there is some sort of software problem? I mean, the same thing can’t start happening to both burners at the same time, right?

What do I do? I really don’t want to format the hard drive and start all over, would take too much time to do that. Any ideas?

I am including the scan I did before this problem started happening and after (ZIP file has more detailed data from both scans: HTML + graphics). See for yourself.

P.S. Incidentally, I started to notice that the transfer rate speed between my 2 hard drives had decreased noticeably; maybe there is something that is affecting the whole system

You’ve checked that DMA is enabled for both drives? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a burst rate that low before :eek:

Of course, there may be another answer, but that’s where I’d start. :slight_smile:

Link here to enabling it, just in case:

I just checked those settings, this is what I have there. See attachment below.

Ouch…yep, both master and slave on the secondary IDE channel are in PIO mode - DMA should be enabled.

Try following the instructions in the thread I posted, hopefully that will help.

Hope you get a result :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! This was the problem. I think that when my PC crashed last time it did something to disable DMA on secondary channel. I ran a test now and it scans normally.

You’re welcome, glad it’s all working OK again. :bigsmile: