MyCE presents: USB3 Superspeed - A first look article

vbimport

I just posted the article USB3 Superspeed - A first look.

We have waited a long time for USB3 Superspeed.
Was it worth the wait?
Let’s take a first look at the technology

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/article/usb3-superspeed-a-first-look-26421/](http://www.myce.com/article/usb3-superspeed-a-first-look-26421/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Unfortunately, until faster flash memory chips start getting made, USB 3.0 will have almost no effect on thumb drives. The read speed on USB 3.0 thumb drives will probably increase, but write speed will still suck. Even now external USB 2.0 HDD write speed trumps USB 2.0 thumb drive write speed by at least 2 to 1 (rough estimate).

Turbo mode FTW!

Thanks for the “first look” Dee - very informative :clap:

I’d say give it a year or two and USB pen drives will leap ahead on write performance. I still remember when the first pen drives came out and PCs had USB1.1, wondering what benefit USB2.0 would provie when affordable pen drives typically came in a capacity of up to 64MB.

As this article shows, the biggest advantage at the moment will be for external hard disk drives, especially for those who regularly backup data, edit camcorder footage, copy a large amount of data from place to place and os on.

[QUOTE=Seán;2496811]I’d say give it a year or two and USB pen drives will leap ahead on write performance. [/QUOTE] My 3-year old A-Data Professional PD7-200x 8 GB USB pen drive still beats almost all other USB pen drives available today, presumably partly because it was based on SLC flash memory.

In those 3 years, USB pen drives have got cheaper, larger, and a little bit faster on reading; there has however been little apparent improvement in write speeds.

I’m guessing that this is largely due to the fact, that marketing specs for USB pen drives always include capacity, sometimes include read speed, almost never includes write speed for large writes, and never ever ever includes write speed for small writes. So there’s no immediate gain for the producers in making USB pen drives that have better write performance.

Eventually, sometime, when technological evolution of flash chips makes it inevitable, we will see USB pen drives with faster write speeds, but the last few years have been disappointing in that respect.

If there was a market for high performance pen drives then write speeds would increase. Technically NAND isn’t that fast, the outrageous speeds seen in SSD is mostly from parallelism. SSD use much more powerful NAND controllers, usually 4 channels or more. If people were prepared to spend, then more powerful NAND controllers would find their way into pen drives. SLC is another solution rather than MLC, but then available space within the device case would mean less capacity for SLC pen drives.
Up until USB3, there hasn’t been much point in increasing speed that much, but there is a reason now, so let’s wait and see. :slight_smile:

If the rumours published on digitimes are true, then Intel’s next chipset generation won’t have USB 3.0 support.

Cougar Point chipsets will feature SATA 6Gbps, but will not support USB 3.0 natively

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100224PD217.html

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2496919]If the rumours published on digitimes are true, then Intel’s next chipset generation won’t have USB 3.0 support.
Michael[/QUOTE]Bad for Intel, good for the competition.
Also reading that news article, their next generation CPU Sandy Bridge will support a iGPU supporting DX10.1. WOW the competition already have DX11. :smiley:
Also, the Marvell 6Gbps SE9128 is already a strong chip, so Intel will have to do well with ICH11, or whatever the next Intel SATA controller is named.

How will this affect audio downloaod over 4g storage ??? what will be the diference if any … muzza.

[QUOTE=murray_bredin;2497001]How will this affect audio downloaod over 4g storage ??? what will be the diference if any … muzza.[/QUOTE]It depends.
If you mean download over the Internet, then unless you have a very fast connection (1Gbps) then you won’t notice any speed inprovement with USB3, if however you want to transfer files over USB3 to an external HDD, then you will notice a difference over USB2, if your HDD is fast enough to take advantage of the extra speed.

See this page in the article.

5 gbgp it’s good technology

How about a test USB3 with a SATA 6Gbps HDD. SATA 3Gbps HDD is old tec. use a WD SATA 6Gbps HDD and compare. Chris

[QUOTE=Chriscreative;2498391]How about a test USB3 with a SATA 6Gbps HDD. SATA 3Gbps HDD is old tec. use a WD SATA 6Gbps HDD and compare. Chris[/QUOTE]There is really no point in testing with a SATA 6Gbps HDD for two reasons.

1, The host controller on the USB docking station is SATA 3Gbps, so any drive connected can never be faster than that.
2, HDD has only now, with the Samsung F3 drive i used in the test been able to saturate a SATA 1.5Gbps host, and that drive is faster than the WD 6Gbps HDD.:slight_smile:
HDD are not fast enough to even remotely push the bandwidth of USB3, some SSD can push it close, but i need to wait until a native USB3 SSD finds its way onto my desk to try it. :slight_smile:

Thank you for jour reply. I were under the impression The host controller on the USB docking station is SATA 6Gbpt. Chris:flower:

Interesting how much results can vary even the tested devices all have used the usb3 chips supplied by NEC.
Check the latest c’t magazin if you can. :wink:

I can’t read German, chef, or i would, maybe you could translate some of it?

I’ll try to post the relevant testresults tomorrow (actually have the mag not here).

Thanks [B]Chef[/B] :flower:, that would be great. I’m really interested in what other people are finding with USB3, as not a lot of data has been gathered, so far.

Yep, surely it will widespread rapidly. I had hoped firewire and esata would have the same “spreading”. :wink:

Anyway, had no time yesterday to post the relevant info, will do today evening.

Sorry for the delay. :flower: