MyCE presents: The Pioneer BDR-205BK Blu ray Burner Review

vbimport

MyCE are proud to present, the Pioneer BDR-205BK Blu ray burner review.

You can read the review here
Please feel free to comment on the review in this thread.

Thanks for the review, seems like a great drive! May be next time I travel to Asia, I’ll get the BDR-S05J version just to have the fancy faceplate for an extra $100. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just an insignificant typo I saw.

The ScanDisc will be performed using our Light-On DH401S and the Transfer Rate tests will be performed using our LH BH08LS20 drive to check if there is any issue with the burned disc.

I bought his burner 3-4 weeks ago and love it. Pioneer is really making a name for itself, after buying their 115D dvd burner I was sold, so purchased the BDR-205. If you’re looking for a bluray burner, this is where you have to start.

Thanks KTL, got it :slight_smile:

One question you use the LiteON BD ROM for testing the “burnquality”. This drive is able to do BluRay qualityscans comparable to PIE/PIF DVD scans of LiteOn drives. Why don’t you use that?

Yes the Lite-on is capable of quality scans but it seems my drive anyway is not a good quality scanner.

No matter what disc I through in it end up showing every color of the rainbow if you know what I mean. This is for discs burned on any drive I have ever owned.

My next Blu-ray review however will have Quality Blu-ray scans as I have now gotten a Lite-on iHES208 and through testing so far it seems very reliable.

[QUOTE=BurningFish;2471205]One question you use the LiteON BD ROM for testing the “burnquality”. This drive is able to do BluRay qualityscans comparable to PIE/PIF DVD scans of LiteOn drives. Why don’t you use that?[/QUOTE]

Great review on a great drive, contgrats.

Here is something you might want to correct.
(Special thank to nikoneko Ya! for supplying use with this media) ----> you wirte use instead of us everywhere were you copyied to nikoneko sentence :wink:

Thanks H3rB3i for the comments (and corrections) always appreciated :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=H3rB3i;2471368]Great review on a great drive, contgrats.

Here is something you might want to correct.
(Special thank to nikoneko Ya! for supplying use with this media) ----> you wirte use instead of us everywhere were you copyied to nikoneko sentence ;)[/QUOTE]

burst rate seems a bit low, 32mb/s?

my LG, BH08 gets 55mb/s

i mean 8x bd is about 36mb/s, how can burst be lower then that? especially from burner that write at 12x

I have Canon HG 21 hd camcorder with AVCHD. Will this burner read and write AVCHD video? Will I be able to burn AVCHD video to a DVD disk? Will I be able to view the DVD/blu ray video on my pc? I can view AVCHD DVDs on my blu ray player on our HD tv.

[QUOTE=Louis35;2496660]I have Canon HG 21 hd camcorder with AVCHD. Will this burner read and write AVCHD video? Will I be able to burn AVCHD video to a DVD disk? Will I be able to view the DVD/blu ray video on my pc? I can view AVCHD DVDs on my blu ray player on our HD tv.[/QUOTE]
The burner is capable of reading and writing anything. But, the burner isn’t your problem, you need the proper media player. PowerDVD9 works, and I believe Media Player Classic and a few others.

i’ve just been reading some of your reviews on the pioneer bdr-205 bluray burner,
i have always used pioneer products in the past and found them to be of exellent
quality,however i just cant understand when looking at a photo of the pioneer bdr-205
bluray burner why the facia panel is so plain and drab looking,its as if pioneer cant
afford the paint to write the name of their product on it,if the name pioneer is not
displayed on the on the front of theyr product i will definitly not be buying this product
it is quite obvious to me that pioneer takes no pride in theyr in product anymore.
yours sincerly carlyjustin

[QUOTE=carlyjustin;2503937]i’ve just been reading some of your reviews on the pioneer bdr-205 bluray burner,
i have always used pioneer products in the past and found them to be of exellent
quality,however i just cant understand when looking at a photo of the pioneer bdr-205
bluray burner why the facia panel is so plain and drab looking,its as if pioneer cant
afford the paint to write the name of their product on it,if the name pioneer is not
displayed on the on the front of theyr product i will definitly not be buying this product
it is quite obvious to me that pioneer takes no pride in theyr in product anymore.
yours sincerly carlyjustin[/QUOTE]

That has to be one of the dumbest reasons I ever heard not to buy a product: Because it doesn’t have a company logo! Well, it’s your loss. Go buy some lesser drive with a pretty logo. The 205 is an excellent drive that performs very well. That’s all I’m concerned with when I buy electronics.:rolleyes:

Yeah, true.
ricoman, your thoughts are absolutely correct. IMHO.

Is the BDR-205 compatible with Windows XP SP3? Even the Pioneer website doesn’t ID operating system compatibilities. My mobo is an ASUS P6T, if relevant. Thanks.

Megadeth,

You state on your authors page that this drive does not have a riplock. I think it does now with firmware 1.04. I have used makemkv for backups and cannot get anything higher then a 2.5x rip speed. I went looking for the 1.02 firmware to flash it back and Pioneer’s web site says “Once updated to version 1.04, this drive will not revert to older firmware versions”

So, can someone verify that this drive is riplocked and if so, how can or is it possible to get the riplock taken off by either mediacodeedit or hacking the 1.04 firmwware?

NM to the above. Using DVD fab I do get way faster speeds. Must be an issue with makemkv

Got this one,and it is excellent. Don’t know why a person would balk over the faceplate. You got it to do kick ass Blu Ray burning,not stand off and admire it like a pair of expensive rims…sheesh !!! And to the poster that’s wondering if he can watch Blu Ray ,he either has to do one of two things,get AnyDVD HD which sidesteps a compliant system and enables playback of High Definition video ,or get the appropriate monitor and graphics card…check NewEgg,they got 'em all…

[QUOTE=setha2z;2508389]Is the BDR-205 compatible with Windows XP SP3? Even the Pioneer website doesn’t ID operating system compatibilities. My mobo is an ASUS P6T, if relevant. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Is this a serious question??

Optical drives are not OS limited.

Is that true, that firmware V 1.04 has riplock??