MyCE presents: Plextor PX-B940SA Blu ray writer review

vbimport

I just posted the article Plextor PX-B940SA Blu ray writer review.

12x BD writing speeds and 16x speeds is currently the fastest available to Blu ray writters.
In this review we check out the latest offering from Plextor, the PX-B940SA Blu ray burner.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/plextor-px-b940sa-blu-ray-writer-review-27681/](http://www.myce.com/review/plextor-px-b940sa-blu-ray-writer-review-27681/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Except there are no more true plextor drives… RIP :frowning:

Sure, it’s a Pioneer !

In the future, spend more time on the BD writing tests. This is the main reason to buy this drive. :Z

Thanks for the review Dee.

In the future, why don’t YOU buy the drive and test all the media YOU want to see? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=roballar;2505388]Sure, it’s a Pioneer ![/QUOTE]

Pioneer ROCKS !!!

What is a “free” gift? Aren’t all gifts free?

[QUOTE=KTL;2505645]In the future, why don’t YOU buy the drive and test all the media YOU want to see? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I do have one. :bigsmile:

Normally I enjoy Dee’s reviews but if you’re going to review a drive like this, spend as much time on the BD writing performance as you do DVD. I might as well go read PC Magazine.

[QUOTE=Im a PC;2505728]Normally I enjoy Dee’s reviews but if you’re going to review a drive like this, spend as much time on the BD writing performance as you do DVD. I might as well go read PC Magazine.[/QUOTE]What’s the point when i can’t show the quality of the burn?
Just burn endless media for the sake of it?
Maybe you’d like to send me this media for testing?
Maybe i can also borrow your PX-B940SA for these tests, as the review unit was on loan.

[QUOTE=Im a PC;2505728]Normally I enjoy Dee’s reviews but if you’re going to review a drive like this, spend as much time on the BD writing performance as you do DVD. I might as well go read PC Magazine.[/QUOTE]

Then please go do that. And while you’re at it, go read a magazine about not trolling on tech sites. She did the best she could with what she had. Blu-ray discs are still pretty expensive.

Thank you, Dee, for your effort. :slight_smile:

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.

BR burners are still quite expensive themselves… while (adjusted for inflation) not historically pricy-- our economy isn’t doing so well that we are not as enthusiastic about new technology the way we used to be. There still are frayed nerves about how blue ray “WON” the format war in favor of those DRM fanatics-- backed by SONY’s group!

That said, wake us up when the burners hit an under $99 pricepoint and they get the dvd write speed over 16x… there are already 24x dvd burners available, and while I rarely burn @ over 16x, I still want the capabiilty. Another thing is the media needs to be cheaper, which is to say under $1 each for the 25gb and under $2.50 for 50gb dual layer discs… not the $3-$15 they are today! IMO, based upon the [current] prices of the burner and the media, I’d rather just buy an additional hard drive as backup instead!

It’s possible to do LDC/BIS quality scans with LiteOn Blu-ray burners. If I remember correctly, this Plextor is LiteOn-based. I just think it must be that there are no real standards yet, but it would be great to see some LDC/BIS scans in the future. :flower:

I think that it’s based on pioneer and not liteon.

Does anybody have the BD suite of the Plextor sold in the State ?
In Europe, WinDVD 8 comes with this writer and I can’t update it because I don’t want to use Internet Explorer 7…

Hi Dee and thanks for your efforts in bringing us details and info regarding the new Plextor Blu Ray writer. Since in my country, as in most parts of Europe, it’s very difficult to get the new Pioneer 205, I decided that my first Blu-ray would be the one you have reviewed here (Plextor PX-B940SA Blu ray writer).
I searched in Plextor sites to see what is the latest firmware available and if there’s a compatibility table with media recommended e.t.c. but I couldn’t find any. Any ideas?
Thank you or anyone else who might be helpful.

OK, got the firmware, version 1.08…

Seems there are some people who just like to present a negative opinion,usually at the reviewer.

@Dee
Keep doing what you’re doing.

If anyone else can do a better job, then feel free to approach the vendors to just hand over a unit for you to test, then by all means do so, and make sure you get ALL of the available media and perform ALL of the tests then sit down and put into words, that people can comprehend, ALL the results. OH, and make sure you take the time to answer ALL of the questions that are sure to get shot your way.

Nice, subscribing to thread!

is it possible to do some quality scans with this drive?
are quality scans with plexutilitys possible?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this drive supports 4x CD-R write speeds.

I need a high quality drive that is capable of writing CD-R at 4x speed, and I’d rather not spend so much on a used Plextor Premium if I can help it when a BD-R drive wouldn’t cost much more… although it was an amazing quality CD burner.

Please let me know if this can do 4x CD-R, or if there is another high quality BD-R drive that is capable of this.

Thanks!

I haven’t burned a CD in ages, so I can’t really tell you much about the CD burn quality of this drive, but in my opinion buying a PX-B940SA is not a good idea.

Basically the PX-B940SA is a Pioneer BDR-205 rebadge sold at a higher price than the original Pioneer drive and at the same time ‘offering’ much poorer firmware support than the original Pioneer drive. The PX-B940SA is stuck on firmware 1.08 for ages, while after a couple of successive firmware releases the BDR-205 has now reached firmware 1.12. All this time Plextor did not bother to release an updated firmware.

If you were to buy this drive, it is better to buy the real thing (BDR-205) if you can find one, since it is bound to be cheaper… the only reason I bought this drive was because at the time the BDR-205 wasn’t yet released in the UK, and I really wanted one.

Regarding CD burn quality, have a look at the various PX-B940SA / BDR-205 reviews and that should give you an idea of what they’re capable of…