MyCE presents -Lite-On iHAS524 DVD writer review

vbimport

I just posted the article Lite-On iHAS524 DVD writer review.

Lite-On’s first drive with LabelTag and 24x writing speed. Let’s check out how it performs in this review.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/lite-on-ihas524-dvd-writer-review-23899/](http://www.myce.com/review/lite-on-ihas524-dvd-writer-review-23899/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

That LabelTag feature is definitely interesting to me! Glad to see that the drive has overall good write quality too. Thanks for the great review!

Can anyone tell me how much data space you lose on a cdr, dvd5, dvd9 disc by using LabelTag feature? Also, the logistics… is this burned separately from the acutal data burn… before or after? With lightscribe it didn’t matter because it was the other side. My guess is upto 25%, but if you have accurate numbers… let me know.

You can burn data and add LabelTag later, providing you leave the disc open for further writing.
There are no figures how much space you have to leave for LabelTag, it depends on how much space you want to leave free for your label. The LabelTag software will take care of the rest, it will only allow to place a label on the free space. Perhaps 10% free would be a minimum to have any sort of useful label.

So LabelTag is exactly the same as Labelflash?

Sounds good but unfortunately Newegg doesn’t show a listing for that drive otherwise I would’ve ordered it. Hopefully after Xmas they will have that drive. I did notice the label was in EN but I haven’t seen it state side yet. I like the stats but until I can get my hands on one I be hard press to read the review and knowing I don’t have one in my rig.

I noticed quite a few high jitter peaks (above 20%) in the DVD scans. Do you think this is a peculiarity of the scanning drive or scanning program (Opti Drive Control), or do you think the drive really burns with such high jitter spikes?

[QUOTE=Dee;2477867]You can burn data and add LabelTag later, providing you leave the disc open for further writing.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Womi;2477938]So LabelTag is exactly the same as Labelflash?[/QUOTE]I don’t think so. If you have to leave the disc open in order to get it “labeltagged”, then this is a huge difference to Labelflash/Disc Tattoo.
Another difference: Labeltag supports CD-R, DiscTattoo does not (It did with some old Yamaha CDRW drives, IIRC).

Michael

Summary:

CD-R writing quality is generally very good, however, there was quite a few discs where the writing speed was reduced. CD-RW writing quality was ok, but could be improved by implementing a fast P-CAV writing strategy.
I’d rather have seen scans done with a Nexperia Benq, so we could see the jitter this drive produces.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2478008]I’d rather have seen scans done with a Nexperia Benq, so we could see the jitter this drive produces.

Michael[/QUOTE]Not easy with a drive that is no longer available. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2478005]I noticed quite a few high jitter peaks (above 20%) in the DVD scans. Do you think this is a peculiarity of the scanning drive or scanning program (Opti Drive Control), or do you think the drive really burns with such high jitter spikes?[/QUOTE]This seems to be a problem with Opti Drive Control with some drives, as these spikes don’t appear when the disc is scanned with CD-Speed.

[QUOTE=Dee;2478064]Not easy with a drive that is no longer available. :)[/QUOTE]Hehe, want to have my spare Philips 1660? :bigsmile:

Michael
No, the drive is not for sale

A very kind offer, but my rig is SATA only. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dee;2478261]A very kind offer, but my rig is SATA only. :)[/QUOTE]
You could swap the AD-7200[B]A[/B] you used for the CD-R/RW tests for Michael’s Philips 1660. :bigsmile:

New rig now. :wink:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2478382]You could swap the AD-7200[B]A[/B] you used for the CD-R/RW tests for Michael’s Philips 1660. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]Having 2 Nexperia drives and one AD7200 is better than having one Nexperia and two of the same AD7200 :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2477839]Can anyone tell me how much data space you lose on a cdr, dvd5, dvd9 disc by using LabelTag feature? Also, the logistics… is this burned separately from the acutal data burn… before or after? With lightscribe it didn’t matter because it was the other side. My guess is upto 25%, but if you have accurate numbers… let me know.[/QUOTE]

The LabelTag software actually pops up after you hit the BURN button in Nero. It’s exactly how Dee explains it. It uses whatever space is left over on the disc. The label looks super clean and works on regular CDs and DVDs. The CD I tagged played perfectly in my car stereo. LabelTag isn’t limited to just text either, there was an import image option although I didn’t get a chance to try it.

The only thing about discs that have been LabelTagged is that you can’t simply copy them anymore. You would have to rip the data off the disc and then create a new compilation.

In short, LabelTag is a cheaper and much much cooler way to label my discs.

BA

I would love to have a new lite on DVD+R drive and I think I deserve it because I am a Grandpa and I have the best grandkids in the world , Beside that My Lite on Drive is Not working because it has served it time and I have recorded video’s from my grand kids Pictures and video and put it on the liteon DVD+R it was one of the easiest drive i have ever use to record on and to work with that i would not buy any other drive other than a liteon drive and I am a simple man and I think if this works great and is easy to work with for a simple man like me than i think you have got a great product that is Durable and user friendly

thank you
pawpawwalston

Paw

[QUOTE=pawpawwalston;2497090]I would love to have a new lite on DVD+R drive and I think I deserve it because I am a Grandpa and I have the best grandkids in the world [/QUOTE] Perhaps you intended to post in the contest thread instead of the review thread?

Here’s the contest thread:

As an event video producer, I’m excited that the labeltag aspect may act as a niffty copy protection procedure BUT how can I duplicate the labeltagged dvd in a standalone duplicator? Perhaps this drive can read it’s own labeltag info and pass that along to the other idendical labeltag drives in the duplicator and duplicate?