MyCE presents: LG N2B1DD2 Super Multi NAS with built-in Blu-ray rewriter Review

vbimport

I just posted the article LG N2B1DD2 Super Multi NAS with built-in Blu-ray rewriter Review.

”The LG N2B1DD2 NAS with its sleek looks, Blu-ray rewriter and ease of operation make it a one of a kind NAS solution”.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/lg-n2b1dd2-super-multi-nas-with-built-in-blu-ray-rewriter-review-21909/](http://www.myce.com/review/lg-n2b1dd2-super-multi-nas-with-built-in-blu-ray-rewriter-review-21909/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

hi,

is it possible to back up to an external hdd via usb or eSATA ?

As long as the backup program you are using will recognize network drive you sure can.

[QUOTE=belrock;2469975]hi,

is it possible to back up to an external hdd via usb or eSATA ?[/QUOTE]

Hi
I have difficulties getting the DLNA to work.
The NAS is working fine on the network. I have activated DLNA and specificed the /service/DLNA folder.
My TV is a Samsung LE40A8661W which has DLNA built-in.

The TV can find the DLNA servers on my PC, but cannot find the LG NAS DLNA.

I hope someone can help me?

I have not tried hooking to my Plasma yet but after we did the review I had gotten a PS3.

I didn’t have to do anything but enable DLNA and the PS3 picked it up and plays Video great.

You have a network and the TV plugged into the network?

Do you also have files in the /service/DLNA folder?

Yes I have a network, with my computer the LG NAS and the TV pluged in.
Both the NAS and the TV are cabled to the router(Belkin).

I have pictures in the folder, and also a subfolder with more pictures.
I beleive the problem is in finding the LG NAS, because it is not shown in the TV’s source list at all, as is my computer.
Could it be a problem with some settings in the router?

I don’t think the router has anything to do with it, well i never had to change anything.

Could be a TV setting.

Have you powered the NAS off and and back on after changing the DLNA setting?

Try and google your TV with DLNA in the search and see if anything comes up.

EDIT: Found something on google that might help you…

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?threadID=322480

I am using a NSLU2 now…
This sure got my attention.

How can you do a review on a gigabit NAS without testing it with gigabit ethernet?

And why is their no comments regarding:

1. Transfer speed (MB/s) of the NAS across 100Mb/1000Mb. This is a NAS!!! The primary function of it is to serve files across the network !!!
  2. Network Transfer speeds with multiple accesses (multiple users). is it good, bad, horrible? Does it affect playback of Hi Definition files from DLNA/Upnp server, and what bitrates are the tested files 40Mb/s, 50Mb/s, 10Mb/s ?
  3. Where is the power consumption of this unit? Will it be better to buy a Good server case with an Intel Atom with nvidia Ion/Ion2 platform, and have more expandability with more drives?
  4. Can I map NAS drives/folders in Windows/Linux/Mac without installing software - software often grants only a single user license … so installing this software to map drives on more than 1 PC violates the EULA turning people into pirates!
  5. Does it support Jumbo Frames?
  6. Does it do NFS?
  7. What partition formats does it recognize for external storage drives plugged into it - NTFS/ Fat32/ EXT2-3-4?
  8. What formats does the DLNA server support? Does it support the PS3/Xbox360, and what formats are picked up by this unit?
  9. How much ram/cache does it have? What are the HDD’s that come with it? What speed (RPM) are the drives? Did the author try any other drives, and did it makes any difference?
  10. Does it support multi-user? Can folders be assigned different security levels for different users, and how customisable is this?
  11. Were there any problems noticed with the networking? Any file aborts, slowdowns - etc/etc.
  12. When transferring files from USB - HDD, what’s the speed, is it quick & easy?
  13. What’s the internal transfer speeds - HDD to HDD?
  14. Can I replace the ODD with another ODD - Can it be another manufacturer’s Drive? Can I retrofit a BDRE drive into the DVDRW version of the NAS?
  15. Upgrading HDD’s -> What partition/file-system format are the HDD’s? This is particularly relevant if the system breaks down, can we just throw together a Windows/Linux PC, and start sharing these drives, or are they some sort of proprietary format? Which OS must be used? Is it an easy process to upgrade these drives? How flimsy are the connectors, are the drives easy to remove?
  16. Can the Esata/USB be used simultaneously? How do you access these on the network? Can these be mounted on an existing directory on the Mounted HDD’s? Are there any limitations to the recognized file system formats (ie, limited to Fat32/4GB file sizes?)
  17. HDD power/spin-down settings?
  18. DDNS support? Can I access this unit from a WAN/internet?
    Who’s ever heard of a NAS with an optical drive? That’s a bonus to a NAS, and not the primary function. This review totally misses the point of a NAS!!!

I now find myself in the position that after this review, I’m looking for OTHER reviews to get the information I want.

dang debro are you sure you read the review? lol

[QUOTE=Bob;2501263]dang debro are you sure you read the review? lol[/QUOTE]
All 3 pages of it :expressionless:
The reviews I read for my current NAS, I bought about 2-3years ago, I read about 10 reviews, along with a few weeks of user opinions, and the reviews generally had less pictures, and alot more pages.

At any rate, the no# of reviews available for this unit is pretty small, so the rate of uptake for this NAS is pretty low, so I’d expect it’s a low-end consumer grade NAS with a gimmick, and it can’t compete with the big boys of the NAS world.

Nuff said :expressionless:

ya i just meant that was a pretty large list you have.

If I do a NAS review again I will get together with you on MSN and we can go over what you would like to see run.

[QUOTE=debro;2501355]All 3 pages of it :expressionless:
The reviews I read for my current NAS, I bought about 2-3years ago, I read about 10 reviews, along with a few weeks of user opinions, and the reviews generally had less pictures, and alot more pages.

At any rate, the no# of reviews available for this unit is pretty small, so the rate of uptake for this NAS is pretty low, so I’d expect it’s a low-end consumer grade NAS with a gimmick, and it can’t compete with the big boys of the NAS world.

Nuff said :|[/QUOTE]

I just joined to say that I found your review very helpful. Of course there’s always more to be done but I just wanted to say thank you! (As Fed Ex rolls by while I’m impatiently waiting for UPS) :slight_smile:

Good review but could you tell me what it’s transfer speed is like for files across a network and where you using a 100Mb or 1000Mb network. Thanks.

Linky.

[QUOTE=debro;2501196]How can you do a review on a gigabit NAS without testing it with gigabit ethernet?

And why is their no comments regarding:

1. Transfer speed (MB/s) of the NAS across 100Mb/1000Mb. This is a NAS!!! The primary function of it is to serve files across the network !!!
  2. Network Transfer speeds with multiple accesses (multiple users). is it good, bad, horrible? Does it affect playback of Hi Definition files from DLNA/Upnp server, and what bitrates are the tested files 40Mb/s, 50Mb/s, 10Mb/s ?
  3. Where is the power consumption of this unit? Will it be better to buy a Good server case with an Intel Atom with nvidia Ion/Ion2 platform, and have more expandability with more drives?
  4. Can I map NAS drives/folders in Windows/Linux/Mac without installing software - software often grants only a single user license … so installing this software to map drives on more than 1 PC violates the EULA turning people into pirates!
  5. Does it support Jumbo Frames?
  6. Does it do NFS?
  7. What partition formats does it recognize for external storage drives plugged into it - NTFS/ Fat32/ EXT2-3-4?
  8. What formats does the DLNA server support? Does it support the PS3/Xbox360, and what formats are picked up by this unit?
  9. How much ram/cache does it have? What are the HDD’s that come with it? What speed (RPM) are the drives? Did the author try any other drives, and did it makes any difference?
  10. Does it support multi-user? Can folders be assigned different security levels for different users, and how customisable is this?
  11. Were there any problems noticed with the networking? Any file aborts, slowdowns - etc/etc.
  12. When transferring files from USB - HDD, what’s the speed, is it quick & easy?
  13. What’s the internal transfer speeds - HDD to HDD?
  14. Can I replace the ODD with another ODD - Can it be another manufacturer’s Drive? Can I retrofit a BDRE drive into the DVDRW version of the NAS?
  15. Upgrading HDD’s -> What partition/file-system format are the HDD’s? This is particularly relevant if the system breaks down, can we just throw together a Windows/Linux PC, and start sharing these drives, or are they some sort of proprietary format? Which OS must be used? Is it an easy process to upgrade these drives? How flimsy are the connectors, are the drives easy to remove?
  16. Can the Esata/USB be used simultaneously? How do you access these on the network? Can these be mounted on an existing directory on the Mounted HDD’s? Are there any limitations to the recognized file system formats (ie, limited to Fat32/4GB file sizes?)
  17. HDD power/spin-down settings?
  18. DDNS support? Can I access this unit from a WAN/internet?
    Who’s ever heard of a NAS with an optical drive? That’s a bonus to a NAS, and not the primary function. This review totally misses the point of a NAS!!!

I now find myself in the position that after this review, I’m looking for OTHER reviews to get the information I want.[/QUOTE]
1)

1. T.B.D.

Ion’s generally chew up about 24-50W which adds $XX to an annual energy bill. Ion boards generally only support upto 4 devices (some upto 6), but may have a PCI/PCI-E slot which can be used to add more. Note that in most cases, ION boards include realtek network chips which have been noted as providing poor network throughput, and the PCI/PCI-E expansion slot may be needed for an intel network card to improve throughput.

1. Yes … standard Samba.

Note that Samba performance is distinctly slower (and occasionally flaky) compared to NFS in linux.

1. T.B.D.

2. DLNA/UPNP server doesn’t work in this unit.

1. T.B.D.

2. T.B.D - Esata didn’t work.

3. T.B.D.

4. T.B.D.

5. T.B.D.

6. Esata didn’t work. T.B.D.

7. Standby (10, 30, 60 or 120 minutes) & Hibernate.

Commentary: The LG N2B1 seems to be prety standard for a NAS unit, with approximately 17MB/s Read for a single drive (or Raid1 configuration), and upto 31MB/s Read for a striped (Raid0 configuration). These results are for sustained file reads (lagre files) that will not fit into the NAS’s RAM. Small writes less than 64MB will read & write at speeds of upto 55MB/s & 80MB/s respectively due to the NAS’s caching.

Miscellaneous note: Single drive NAS performance is limited to approximately 67MB/s for single drive NAS configurations and <100MB/s for professional raid setups. Generally, commercially available NAS setups are limited to 17-25MB/s (read) for single drive configurations, and 30-50MB/s for performance raid configurations.

By comparison, a Windows XP (pro) PC to Windows XP (pro) PC transfer from the server (using a realtek network chipset) resulted in 18MB/s transfer speed for reading, and 10-12MB/s writing speed across a gigabit network link. (2.5GB file tested using XXCOPY with a mapped network drive).

Similarly, various flavours of linux result in hitting the single drive 17MB/s read (9MB/s write) in server (realtek onboard nic) to Windows XP (pro) PC. (2.5GB File Tested using XXCOPY with a mapped network drive).

To be tested is intel Nic’s which actually have a network processor onboard, compared to marvell & realtek, where all network activities are done in software (CPU) which can greatly increase network throughput.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that realtek peak at 30MB/s transfer speeds, Marvell achieve 35MB/s, whereas an intel card will achieve upto 55MB/s in the same setup.

This is truely a great unit will all the bells and whistles. I’ve gotten all features to work consistently, except for DLNA. My Samsung LNB46 HDTV sees all my other DLNA sources except the LG-NAS (firmware: 2450). My WDTV Live and a small iPOD app sees the LG-NAS OK.

Samsung and LG Tech support have not been able to figure this out so far. Does anyone have any clues to true DLNA compatiblity?

Thanks,
//\att

A few months after posting the review I had gotten a PS3 and Panasonic 42" Plasma.

The DLNA works perfect through the PS3, plays most AVI and MKV I have tried as well as MP3.

[QUOTE=mfalcon;2505164]This is truely a great unit will all the bells and whistles. I’ve gotten all features to work consistently, except for DLNA. My Samsung LNB46 HDTV sees all my other DLNA sources except the LG-NAS (firmware: 2450). My WDTV Live and a small iPOD app sees the LG-NAS OK.

Samsung and LG Tech support have not been able to figure this out so far. Does anyone have any clues to true DLNA compatiblity?

Thanks,
//\att[/QUOTE]

I am having loads of problems with the setup of my nas drive.
Firstly I have had loads of issues with the NAS printer freezing and then when it restarts it keeps printing the same document over and over. I have tried cancelling all documents yet it seems to ignore this command. It’s driving me nuts and I have had to unplug the printer from the network as I ccan’t seem to stop it.

When I click on the ‘file viewer’ button it opens up ajaXplorer and not the LG software window that you show in your review picture. Why is this?

I have upgraded the firmware to 1.0.0_2450 so is this casuing the problem?

[QUOTE=joeadvfn;2506804]I am having loads of problems with the setup of my nas drive.
Firstly I have had loads of issues with the NAS printer freezing and then when it restarts it keeps printing the same document over and over. I have tried cancelling all documents yet it seems to ignore this command. It’s driving me nuts and I have had to unplug the printer from the network as I ccan’t seem to stop it.

When I click on the ‘file viewer’ button it opens up ajaXplorer and not the LG software window that you show in your review picture. Why is this?

I have upgraded the firmware to 1.0.0_2450 so is this casuing the problem?[/QUOTE]

What router are you using? Are you using Windows 7? I have the same issue with my fiance’s laptop (Dell Studio 1555), the only thing is the printer is not connected through the N2B1- I have it connected directly into the back of the Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11n. The printer not only loops printing but gives it weird @$$ justification and what should be at the top ends up in the middle and the bottom rolls over to the next page. The printer works fine for me though (Macbook Pro1,1). I haven’t been able to figure it out myself, it would be interesting to hear your setup though and maybe we can draw some conclusions.

Has anyone gotten other software to recognize the bluray drive and burn BD’s with it?