MyCE presents: EMINENT EM4072 GigaShare PRO NAS DUO review

vbimport

I just posted the article EMINENT EM4072 GigaShare PRO NAS DUO review.

NAS is becoming popular for streaming and sharing media content around the home.
We check out the Eminent EM4072 GigaShare PRO NAS DUO in this review.
Let’s see how it performs in our tests.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/eminent-em4072-gigashare-pro-nas-duo-review-27582/](http://www.myce.com/review/eminent-em4072-gigashare-pro-nas-duo-review-27582/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Great review ms Robertson!

I’ve never heard of Eminent before, but this unit looks quite nice.

I really like the media sharing section, this is something I really want to know of NASes nowadays - they’re more than just storage!!

Not that I disagree with your opinion, but just out of curiosity: why is the drive awarded only 3.5 out of 5, when it has so few negative points (in the conclusion section)?

Hi [B]Logitacer[/B]. and thanks for the comments regarding the review.

NAS is new to me, and that was the first unit i have reviewed.
I tried to keep the tests relevant for our members here on MyCE, although i do see further scope to improve the testing procedures, and the type of tests that are carried out on NAS.

Regarding the “Good” rating.
As this was my first NAS review, i didn’t want to back myself into a corner and rate the Eminent EM4072 to highly, as that would have left me with little room for maneuver regarding “ratings” for future reviews.
Ratings for future reviews will be based on the rating for this unit as a base reference.

In regards to SMB/NFS access, how flexible was the security?
I have the D-Link DNS323 which outright annoys me, because when i create shares, I can assign only a single read only / write attribute, with either multiple users OR multiple groups with only a single set of read/write attributes shared for all users.

I can’t have one user with write access, a different user with read-only access and/or mix & match attributes and users.

Worse, a single user cannot be a member of MULTIPLE groups. Arrrrgh!

Also, when streaming to the PS3, were there any dropouts? What firmware was used on the PS3 playing the media? The PS3 is renowned for weird disconnects with different UPNP media servers, both software based, and NAS based media servers.

Was there a significant difference (in transfer speed) between single drive mode, Raid 1 mode & Raid 0 mode?

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=debro;2521739]In regards to SMB/NFS access, how flexible was the security?
I have the D-Link DNS323 which outright annoys me, because when i create shares, I can assign only a single read only / write attribute, with either multiple users OR multiple groups with only a single set of read/write attributes shared for all users.

I can’t have one user with write access, a different user with read-only access and/or mix & match attributes and users.

Worse, a single user cannot be a member of MULTIPLE groups. Arrrrgh!

Also, when streaming to the PS3, were there any dropouts? What firmware was used on the PS3 playing the media? The PS3 is renowned for weird disconnects with different UPNP media servers, both software based, and NAS based media servers.

Was there a significant difference (in transfer speed) between single drive mode, Raid 1 mode & Raid 0 mode?

:)[/QUOTE]
Wow … I’m famous … 1hr after posting this … I’m no#6 on google …

Hmmm the unit was on short term loan, and i didn’t have it for long. So what follows is from memory.
Regarding shares
From what i recall. Create a group then set permissions (read/write) then add people to the group.
Create another group, set permissions (read/write) then add people to the group, from what i recall this is how it was done on the Eminent unit.

The PS3 system software was 3.15, i didn’t experience any disconnections in the short term that i tested it.

Regarding RAID, i only tested in RAID 0, but if another NAS review should come along with 2x HDD, i will test in RAID 1 as well.