MyCE Explains: Writing User Reviews

vbimport

How to write a good user review?
Did you know you can now write user reviews at MyCE? By writing a user review, you can let other people know what you think of a product, and share knowledge about and experience with a product. Writing a user review is very easy, so why not write a review about a product you own right now? :slight_smile:

[I]From owner to reviewer[/I]

To start writing a user review, you should locate the product page of the product you want to write about. You have to be signed in, and best thing is to go to your profile page right away and click on ‘edit your products’ (or hit this link for a shortcut). You can then find the product by using the search function, and when you are on the product page you click on the ‘I have it!’ button. This adds the product to your profile, so others can see that you have this product. Once you have the product, go to the ‘User reviews’ tab where you will find user reviews on this product (if there are any), and the possibility to write one right away.

Rating & recommendation
This is where you give your overall rating of the product on all its aspects all together. The rating can range from very poor (0 out of 5), to very good (5 out of 5). Whatever rating you give is very personal and totally up to you. However, keep in mind that your written review has to be in line with the rating you give the product. For instance, a very good product (5 stars) will probably have more pros than cons and have a praising detailed message, whereas a very poor product will have fewer pros and more cons and a negative detailed message. Of course any great product does not necessarily has to have all five stars, and good products can still have cons, but just keep in mind the rating has to be in line with the rest of your review.

Just below the rating you can check whether you would recommend this product to your friends. This is pretty self-explanatory, and you will probably only recommend products that you think are great to your friends. However, if you really have awful friends you are of course free to recommend them crappy stuff :bigsmile:.

Review Title
The title should be a summary of your opinion of the product. See it as your one-sentence answer to someone who asks you what you think of this product. So what do you think of your current phone for example? If you are unsure about the title, you can always fill it in later when you have written the rest of the review. Just make sure to fill in something, since every review has to have a title.

Pros and Cons
The pros and cons give a summary of what you think the product is either bad (con) or good at (pro). The pros and cons should be short and clear points that show what you think of the product, so they are very personal. This means that what you think is a pro of a product, can be a con for someone else. For instance, design is always very personal: somebody can totally love the design while someone else really hates the very same design. This does not matter, since you are giving your opinion about the product.

Pros and cons can be a lot of different things, which usually depend on which product is being reviewed. General pros and cons usually include: performance, quality, features and functionality, looks and design, value for money, availability, and many more. Pros can be things (features) that you like about the product, for instance durability. Cons can be things you don’t like, or things you miss about the product.

Broadcasting your message: let the writing begin
Best thing is to start with mentioning which version/model you have of the product you are reviewing, if applicable. Some products come in different versions, and it usually is best if you tell which one you own. For instance, if you have the blue version and you mention in your review you like the color, people know you like the blue colored version.

Then, it usually helps to indicate why you are writing this user review. This gives the readers a global idea of what you think of the product. Also, you can mention where and how you use the device – or you can tell us something about yourself: are you an experienced user or is this your first experience with products like this one? If you want, you can also tell why you bought the product.

Your pros and cons usually have three sources: your opinion about the product, your knowledge and your experience. These three do not have to be separate and can overlap to some extent. The main body of the message usually contains your thoughts on the product. You probably mentioned at least some pros and cons, so why not go into more detail on those? Explain why you think something is a pro, or why it is a con. Some things can even be both, if explained properly.

Maybe you have tips how to use this product better, or you know some useful additions. For example, you know you can use this memory card for this mobile phone, even if it’s officially not supported yet. Why not share it with others, and let them know it works?

If you own the product and you have actually used it, you have experience with it. This could mean, for example, that your recently purchased hard drive performs way better in real-life (after some minor tweaks from your part) then what it says on the box. You know this, because you experienced it. Care to share it?

[I]This review is totally yours[/I]

Always remember that a user review is very personal, so try to focus on the points that matter to you and give the review some personal flavor. This also means that reviews can vary greatly in length and detail. Some products are just good because they simply do what they should do. Others are bad at everything, and it’s almost too much to mention. In this case, you can take into consideration what others wrote about the product – if there are other reviews about the same product that is. In any case, you should try to end your review with an overall opinion, a sort of summary.

As a more functional tip, it might be handy if you write your review in a word program, just for your precaution. I can only hope you haven’t been unlucky enough to write something really nice only to have electricity go out or your PC/web browser crashes. Also, make sure not to focus on the service of the store or its employees – this is a product review and not a shop review.
[I]

Checklist for writing
[/I]Here just a small checklist which pretty much summarizes the above. Remember that not every point has to be checked, these are all just suggestions.

• Have you entered a fitting review title?
  • Are the pros and cons short and clear?
  • Have you specified the version/model of your product?
  • Have you explained why you write this review?
  • Have you told about yourself and how you put the product to use?
  • Have you mentioned why you bought the product?
  • Have you explained and motivated what you think are the pros and cons?
  • Is your review still readable? Did you use of whitespaces and paragraphs?
  • Is there some kind of summary at the end of your review?

Very nice guide, BussyB :clap:

Be nice to see some user reviews of the cool stuff they’ve bought, I know I for one would enjoy reading them. :slight_smile:

Thanks Arachne!

Yes I enjoy user reviews too - I think they are essential when you are looking for something new! And I always love to hear what other people think :wink: Probably everybody has at least something that can be reviewed, usually something you use every day like your phone or your MP3-player. Don’t you? :bigsmile:

I’m poor send me something.

What happened to the elite review team?

Hehe Bob! We still have the review team producing reviews for you, for the top products. However, we also want to give our members the ability to write a user reviews, which are normally shorter compared to the big and detailed reviews the review team writes. Also, as you can imagine it’s hard to write a detailed review on all the 100.000+ products we have in the database :bigsmile:

Bob, would you be willing to be the first one here? Give it a go! :slight_smile:

Robin i thought MyCE was preying on the members for reviews now is all. I have nothing here that a review has not already been done that i know of.

Most all of my stuff is close to being antiques.

My wife bought another new clock a couple weeks ago and it has arrived. It plays 12 songs plus 3 Christmas songs. My wife and her mother are clock freaks. Sounds like a clock shop in my house. Maybe i can get her to write a review on it? I doubt she would but i can ask her.

Bob, we mean just shorter user reviews, with your opinion about a product.
E.g. check out these user reviews on the Sandisk Cruzer USB: http://www.myce.com/usb-sticks/Sandisk-Cruzer-Micro-16GB-74432/

I can’t imagine you don’t have any CD/DVD/Bluray players/writers, mp3 players, mediaplayers, TVs, netbooks, notebooks, mobile phones, digital cams etc? We could use all the help! Doesn’t matter if it’s not a very -new- product, I am sure there are still a lot of people looking for the products you currently have.

What is the product you most use and is working according to your needs?

[QUOTE=MP|3;2462609]Bob, we mean just shorter user reviews, with your opinion about a product.
E.g. check out these user reviews on the Sandisk Cruzer USB: http://www.myce.com/usb-sticks/Sandisk-Cruzer-Micro-16GB-74432/

I can’t imagine you don’t have any CD/DVD/Bluray players/writers, mp3 players, mediaplayers, TVs, netbooks, notebooks, mobile phones, digital cams etc? We could use all the help! Doesn’t matter if it’s not a very -new- product, I am sure there are still a lot of people looking for the products you currently have.

What is the product you most use and is working according to your needs?[/QUOTE]No sorry i have nothing new from the last 2 years at least Robin. All the pc items i have here are not even available anymore. Pretty sad ol’ Bob doesn’t have anything new isn’t it :doh:

Since our stock took a crap last year our dividends don’t pay nothing and that was our “play money” so to speak so i really don’t have anything here at all.

Ouch, sorry to hear! Can we get you a sample of something to review then ? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=MP|3;2462618]Ouch, sorry to hear! Can we get you a sample of something to review then ? :)[/QUOTE]No i was only kidding about sending me something Robin but thank you for asking :bow: Maybe i’ll get something for Christmas.

You can delete these posts if you want to. They are off topic sorry.

[QUOTE=Bob;2462620]No i was only kidding about sending me something Robin but thank you for asking :bow: Maybe i’ll get something for Christmas.

You can delete these posts if you want to. They are off topic sorry.[/QUOTE]

Quit lying Bob, you know you want a some new Core i7 parts for which to play.

Now Myce.com could send me some ATI HD5870’s to run in Crossfire so I could give a legitimate review on their pure awesomeness.

Good thread, nice posts.

I think I may have an idea…appearing.