MyCE and it's Finances

vbimport

Since looking up MyCE and some company stats via the web, (approx five millions hits per month by the way), I thought about it’s finances.

MyCE is blessedly clear of advertisements and annoying Pop Ups but like us all it needs a source of income.

The site seems quite anxious that members provide in their Profile details" haves and wishlists" . The space devoted to this is obvious if one clicks on the relevant tabs.

I presume that the site software analyses this data and it is then sold on to leading manufacturers, many of whom are listed on the revelant page, and market research companies.

There is nothing wrong with this. Everything is market driven in business. I shall complete my Profile. Many more manufacturers should be added to the page. I am a big Sony fan for instance. It is also possible to shop of course.

John

John
The Newbie forum is primarily aimed at answering questions from those who are new to the site, or have no experience with the particular type of problem they are facing.

It is not the place to post opinions about the site. If you wish to start a thread for discussion of MyCE, you should do so in the Living Room.

I am therefore moving this thread into the Living Room. Please remember this in the future.

Personally I do not think that advertisements are annoying here (like on some other sites), I hardly even notice them.

As far as its finances are concerned, MyCE is doing ok…it is no Facebook yet…but give it another 30 years and they may come close :wink:

screw facebook I will take MyCE anyday

[QUOTE=samlar;2566928]screw facebook I will take MyCE anyday[/QUOTE]

LOL same here, although I do use Farcebook occasionally. At least we don’t have those annoying apps etc on MyCE…Farmville, anyone? :Z

My profile is about 70-odd % complete. Originally this was because I couldn’t find the model names/numbers of some of my kit. So I see where John is coming from there. :wink:

There are plenty of ads here, but mainly in the guest mode. Just log out and refresh this page. :slight_smile:

While logged in, the only ads I’m aware of are from certain keywords, e.g. these keywords Nero, UltraISO, clonecd become affiliate links in this post, unlike Farcebook which continues to display heaps of ads, this time based on the user’s personal information. The only other advertising here is the odd ad-square that appears on the upper-right, usually on the homepage.

Personally, I really don’t like websites that present pop-ups and especially flash-over ads. If I click a news story and see a flash-over ad or a heap of ads, I just click the back button and head for the same story elsewhere.

As for Facebook, I’ve never had an account there and never will! It’s just become a viral social monster where a “friend” is a number and the idea seems to be to score the highest count. I’ve already seen stories mentioning that they are disappointed by its popularity in Russia and China, as if they expect be the #1 website globally. :Z

Most of my real friends are on MyCE and the rest can be reached by Telephone, Instant Messenger or E-mail. :cool:

I think a viral social monster is the finest description ever of Facebook!! If this is an original, well done If not, well quoted.

It should be on advertising hoarding, if only to encourage people to engage their brains, before they waft away on a keyboard or mobile phone.

John

There’s ads here? Never noticed.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2567451]There’s ads here? Never noticed.[/QUOTE]

If you’re logged in then you’re not overwhelmed by advertising.

One of the main incentives for registering IMO.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=johnedlord;2566826]
The site seems quite anxious that members provide in their Profile details" haves and wishlists" . The space devoted to this is obvious if one clicks on the relevant tabs. I presume that the site software analyses this data and it is then sold on to leading manufacturers, many of whom are listed on the revelant page, and market research companies. [/QUOTE]

Just for your information - the information in the profile details, haves and wishlist functionality is [B][U]not[/U][/B] being sold to any party or company.

At this moment, there is no any commercial newsletter from MyCE (as opposed to some websites) - just the weekly newsletter that gives an overview of last week’s activity at MyCE.

We strive to keep advertising at minimal levels, especially for members that are logged in. The reality is that we can’t run without ads though - there are server and hosting costs, as well as a (small) office team who keep the site from crashing, come up with new functionalities (development) and have contacts with companies in order to obtain review samples and do fun things like giveaways (that’s me).