My XP CD-R Back Up Doesn't Work

vbimport

I format my computers maybe 4/5 times a year each. On my desktop, my burned cd-r of XP boots fine and I install without a hitch, but on my laptop it doesn’t and I have to use the original disc. It’s a pain in the ass DLing sp2/sp3 and takes so long and I prefer using my slipstreamed back up. I thought maybe it was the DVD drive that was the problem so I tried using my Lite-On externally from my desktop onto my laptop, no dice, the same problem occurs. Anyhows, anyone know why it doesn’t wanna boot on my laptop, when the ‘Press any key to boot from CD’ comes out and I press any key, it jus freezes and also anyone know any solutions/tricks, etc… Thanks all for your input and help.

[QUOTE=Robert De Niro;2059560]I format my computers maybe 4/5 times a year each. On my desktop, my burned cd-r of XP boots fine and I install without a hitch, but on my laptop it doesn’t and I have to use the original disc. It’s a pain in the ass DLing sp2/sp3 and takes so long and I prefer using my slipstreamed back up. I thought maybe it was the DVD drive that was the problem so I tried using my Lite-On externally from my desktop onto my laptop, no dice, the same problem occurs. Anyhows, anyone know why it doesn’t wanna boot on my laptop, when the ‘Press any key to boot from CD’ comes out and I press any key, it jus freezes and also anyone know any solutions/tricks, etc… Thanks all for your input and help.[/QUOTE]

What did you use to make your slipstreamed cd bootable?? Also you don’t need to download sp2 because sp3 has everything sp2 has plus the new stuff You only need to install the sp3 but that sucks the cd won’t boot do you have bios configured correct?? & the first question too

I’m sure my back up is done correctly, I dunno what was used, my friend did it for me, it works on my desktop just fine with no problems. I think the problem is the BIOS, which configurations do I have to modify in the BIOS?

[QUOTE=Robert De Niro;2059600]I’m sure my back up is done correctly, I dunno what was used, my friend did it for me, it works on my desktop just fine with no problems. I think the problem is the BIOS, which configurations do I have to modify in the BIOS?[/QUOTE]

Ok if it works in desktop then you need to modify bios

well, go into bios and find the setting that says “boot order” this tells your computer what to boot from and in what order. Set first boot device or primary to CD-rom second boot device to floppy and third to Primary master hard drive which has your operating system on it. And this way your computer will be forced to boot from the CD-ROM first.

Please tell me what happened

I’ve formatted and installed XP a million times on my laptop with the original XP disc, my boot order is already set up properly.

If the xp back up was done on the desktop this is the reason it won’t work on the laptop.

I’ve used the same cd-r to format and install XP on a friend’s laptop which is a Compaq also and it worked jus fine and also on numerous friend’s desktops.

As long as you have legit keys it should work…

The keys aren’t the problem.

I was replying to Dr.Who sorry…

Oh, I was wondering what was up, cuz you always give great addvice/help, LOL!

Try to see if you are the Admin, then if that doesn’t work try to do it in safe mode.