My VHS and DVD

vbimport

I just bought a new RCA dual vhs to dvd machine which works fine for my own tapes from tv. My problem is when copying movie vhs (about 30 of them) which won’t copy (pops up with “video is copy protected”.
Any way of getting around this? Some of these tapes are 10-12 years old and i’m afraid they may get outdated and break the tapes.
Thanks in advance for any help.

All commercial Movies are Copy Protected, but they do have software to make Back ups. The resolution or picture quality is much better on commercial DVD or even better on Blu-ray. So a better idea would be to get your 30 Movies on DVD or Blu-ray. :cool:

In a previous post by you say you have a GREX .There are instructions on their site for wiring a combo unit to record itself. The instructions may not be exact for your unit but should be similar enough.
http://www.xdimax.com/grex_faq/faq_vcrdvdcombo.html
Those that do this & want the best copy say a SVHS unit should be used for the input.

There is also an old method where a VHS video camera with a firewire out connected to a computer with a firewire in produces the best results. I beleive this creates a huge avi file. I don’t know because I’ve never tried it.

[QUOTE=cholla;2616546]In a previous post by you say you have a GREX .There are instructions on their site for wiring a combo unit to record itself. The instructions may not be exact for your unit but should be similar enough.
http://www.xdimax.com/grex_faq/faq_vcrdvdcombo.html
Those that do this & want the best copy say a SVHS unit should be used for the input.

There is also an old method where a VHS video camera with a firewire out connected to a computer with a firewire in produces the best results. I beleive this creates a huge avi file. I don’t know because I’ve never tried it.[/QUOTE]

My old method for removing Macrovision was to output VHS> Sony Betamax to a second VHS recorder. Not recording to Beta, just using the recorder for removing copyright protection. VHS to DVD? I’m not sure it’s worth it unless the video is not available on DVD or better yet, Blu-ray. Jeff