My usb 3.0 stick is slow as usb 2.0 still

vbimport

i have just bought a usb 3.0 pcie control card for my xp pro computer , and i have also bought a usb 3 stick , now when i transfer a 1gb file from the usb 3 stick to my sata drive on my pc its exactly the same speed in tranfer as i was getting with my usb 2 sticks . is there something i must enable for the faster transfer to take place ?

the memory stick was formatted in fat32 , but i changed it to ntfs to see if that was the issue , but its still going slow as usb 2 .

any help please.

Yo-

Did you check to see if your bios supports usb3 ?

Did your card come with XP drivers for usb3.

Since usb3 is backwardly compatable - sounds like your system is reading it as usb2-eh.

it seemed to install all good with no errors straight from the cd that came with the usb 3 card .

and yes i would also say its reading it at usb 2 speed. as it took 34 seconds to transfer a 1gb file from it to my Sata HDD

i dont know anything about bios or how to check if its enabled in there .

how can i check it in there ?

can bios be udated at all ?

There’s nothing magical about USB 3.0 that would any accessory faster than is in it’s nature.

USB 2.0 is/was NOT the limiting factor in speed for stick memory.

It is/was a limit on the speed of a USB hard drive.

Though a faster USB standard is “nice” I already bought a dozen eSATA enclosures,
which are so far as I know slightly faster than USB 3.0… the only advantage wold be
not needing to connect a seperate power cable.

What does Bios have to do with it?

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2588531]

What does Bios have to do with it?[/QUOTE]

Alot the motherboard has to support it to even begin to us USB3. The OP should check with the manufacture site for firmware or BIOS update to their Pci card to see what updates they have. Also they have to make sure their O/S even supports USB3 and from the looks of it XP doesn’t support USB3. They need to as well check with M$ site whether or not they have updates to XP that will allow it to support USB3. Just plugging a card doesn’t guarantee that it will work with older O/S one must know that already and do their homework before just running out and buying hardware without knowing some background about compatibility first.

For a PCI card, the bios is probably not a factor, if it was the card likely wouldn’t work at all…

Bios on Pentium3 and many Pentium4 computers didn’t support HDD’s with 48-LBA, on a PCI controller card this wasn’t an issue…

For a PCI card the device driver could be a problem but what I’m thinking here is that the OP bought a cheaper USB 3.0 drive that isn’t materially faster than a USB 2.0 flash drive.

Lacking information to the contrary I’ll say that all thumb drives labeled as “USB 3.0” are not created equal. Some are hardly better than USB 2.0

How good a USB 3.0 stick did the OP buy?
what are the specified read/write rates?

AD

You have to buy a motherboard that supports USB 3, or its USB2 forever. They even made the USB ports a different color, A nice blue.:iagree:

i wanted to transfer files from a usb 3 stick to my pc for fast transfer, so i bought the usb 3 stick . it is supposed to be faster than usb 2. i was told that it could be not enabled in bios or my mobo isnt suitable for usb 3 . but i just rang the computer store where i got the usb 3 stick and usb 3 pcie card and he said i should be getting noticable speed difference then usb 2 .

so i really dont know why its working at the same speed as my usb 2 stick .

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2588662]For a PCI card, the bios is probably not a factor, if it was the card likely wouldn’t work at all…

Bios on Pentium3 and many Pentium4 computers didn’t support HDD’s with 48-LBA, on a PCI controller card this wasn’t an issue…

For a PCI card the device driver could be a problem but what I’m thinking here is that the OP bought a cheaper USB 3.0 drive that isn’t materially faster than a USB 2.0 flash drive.

Lacking information to the contrary I’ll say that all thumb drives labeled as “USB 3.0” are not created equal. Some are hardly better than USB 2.0

How good a USB 3.0 stick did the OP buy?

AD[/QUOTE]

A-ram usb 3.0 32 gb stick

i can transfer 1gb in 34 seconds with usb 2 , and i get the exact same time for usb 3.0 .

[QUOTE=alan1476;2588672]You have to buy a motherboard that supports USB 3, or its USB2 forever. They even made the USB ports a different color, A nice blue.:iagree:[/QUOTE]

IF you are using the USB ports ON the motherboard,

ONE MORE TIME:
The original poster said they are having issues with USB 3.0 on a PCI accessory card that’s plugged into their computer.

The motherboard does NOT need to be 3.0 capable to use 3.0 on a PCIe card, that the entire point of a PCIe card

USB is easily deal with by the chipset ON THE CARD.

the same way you can use a PCI-IDE controller on an older computer to run 160gb-500gb IDE drives
on a Pentium3 Motherboard that did not support HDDs with 48 Bit Logical Adressing or SATA drives on a computer made before SATA, or a card that supports SATA 3.0 drives on MoBo’s that only natively supported
SATA 1.5…

Or like on my desktop with my eSATA controller card. my “motherboard” supporting eSATA or not is irrelevant .
in point of fact my Motherboard does not support eSATA but my PCIe eSATA controller card does! (it even has two 5V jacks on the back to power the eSATA cards) ,the Silicon Image chipset on the PCIe Controller card deals with it the same way a similar card for USB3.0 would.

Are we clear now?

here is nothing “magical” about USB 3.0, what people are all gaga over
is NATIVE (on-the-motherboard) USB 3.0 that isn’t widely available… yet!

For that the chipset and bios DO need to support it, but that is not the discussion here, the OP is using a PCI-card for his USB 3.0.

Now while it could be argued that there is no DRIVER to support his usb 3.0 PCIe controller CARD that works with the OS used by the orignnal Poster, XP, that is equally unlikely to be the case.
The common PCIe USB 3.0 cards typically use a, NEC chipset and there is Driver support for that chipset not only for XP, but also Windows 2000, as well as 98SE and even Windows ME.

SOME people who have wanted USB 3.0 are all agog with the idea of it directly on the MoBo.

If you aren’t so pickey about it or you have an open PCIe slot in your computer you never needed to wait.

Now to the OP:

[QUOTE=ghosts;2588697]A-ram usb 3.0 32 gb stick

i can transfer 1gb in 34 seconds with usb 2 , and i get the exact same time for usb 3.0 .[/QUOTE]

I said “Specified” which with your information on make/model the manufacturer advertizes:
40MB/s, Write speed 35MB/s.

Which is only a tick faster than many USB 2.0 drives.

the Kingston USB 3.0 32gb is advertized at 80MB/sec. read and 60MB/sec.
but for USB 2.0: 30MB/sec. read and 30MB/sec. write

The Kingston USB 3.0 drive sells for $85, the drive you bought seems to sell for ~$50

I think the issue is the specific USB drive you bought.

AD

BTW, with a PCIe controller usb 3.0 card, the device must be plugged into the card itself, because only the USB jacks on the PCI card run on the controller.

it is true tha having a USB 3.0 controller card does not affect any other usb jacks you might have on your computer.

unless you get a card that has header pins to connect your front-of-case USB jacks to the card instead of to the MoBo.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2588726]BTW, with a PCIe controller usb 3.0 card, the device must be plugged into the card itself, because only the USB jacks on the PCI card run on the controller.

it is true tha having a USB 3.0 controller card does not affect any other usb jacks you might have on your computer.

unless you get a card that has header pins to connect your front-of-case USB jacks to the card instead of to the MoBo.

AD[/QUOTE]

my usb 3.0 stick is plugged directly into the usb3 card, and all other usb 2.0 slots still work perfectly for usb 2 devices .

and yes my usb 3 is NEC brand driver .

the base problem here is that the USB 3.0 drive you bought isn’t a terribly fast one.

And that’s going by it’s advertized specifications, which are not all that much faster than typical
"good quality" USB 2.0 drives

there are MUCH faster USB thumb drives but they are more expensive

For example:
Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Model DTU30/32GB
Model DTU30/32GB 32GB
Speed Class Rating:
USB 3.0: 80MB/sec. read and 60MB/sec. write
USB 2.0: 30MB/sec. read and 30MB/sec. write

But this drive currently retails for $85

Bargains often aren’t if you take the time to read the fine print.

Allan is quite right. The component that performs the slowest is limiting the chain of process.

Here’s the problem laid down:

Your usb 3.0 pci card can process usb 3.0 speeds perfectly.
Your usb 3.0 stick is fully 100% compatible with the usb 3.0 specifications
The memory chips on that usb 3.0 stick have a certain read and write speed.
The memory chips are the limiting factor here.

This is the same as using a very very slow harddisk in a usb 3.0 drive cage. It will be usb 3.0 compatible 100%, but the performance will be limited to the slowest thing in the chain: The very very slow harddisk. If this harddisk has about the writing speeds of a usb 1.0 device, then you would now have a perfectly 100% usb 3.0 cage, only capable of performing like a usb 1.0

Unfortunately high performance speeds are more expensive. Like everybody loves SD cards, but almost nobody wants to cough up the money for a Class 10 card. :slight_smile:

ok thanks for all the info guys . much appreciated , many questions were answered for me .