My Toshiba DVD driver refuses to read nearly all disks!

vbimport

Hey I am new on this forum, and I need some help.

My 4 year old Toshiba sattelite notebook have expirienced some really nasty problems this year.

Its CD/DVD driver SD-R2212 refuse to read nearly all kinds of disks!
When I insert a DVD disk into the drive, it just spinns for some seconds, and stopps. Nothing happends. The SD-R2212 does not even try to read the DVD.
But with other DVDs are red fine by the SD-R2212.

While with CDs… They just make alot of noice when theyre being red.
They hack, and crash! Spin half way, then stops and tries to go backwards!
A mess, really. The CD rarely would be red, and generally just some error messege comes upp.

I think this may be the result of some virus I got. I installed a game from a dodgy disk, and i learnt later that the disk i installed from was infected by a virus!! After that… Things went to hell, just getting worse and worse.

I ended up running microsoft uppdate and manually uppdating the driver (as Microsoft Uppdate kept on saying it was the newest version…). But… I think i uppdated the wrong driver. I downloaded a CD driver.
Now my SD-R2212 is apparently a CD driver (atleast it says so in the description) But it can rarely play either cd or DVDs.

PS. At first the CDs played dodgy. Then they played horrebly. Then the DVDs stopped working (previously they worked great).

Can someone please help me? I would really appreciate it!

I just found it’s doing the same thing with Sony disks that were burned on the same drive previously. I guess I’ll try the firmware upgrade, but I’ve read that causes problems too. Maybe it’s time for a new drive. Can anyone recommend a good deal on a DVD +/- R burner? If it’s not too much more I may even go for a dual layer drive. this one looks like a good deal:

LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 8X DVD-R DL 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM IDE Burner with LightScribe Technology