My Sony drive has trouble recognizing Taiyo Yuden CDRs!

vbimport

My Sony CRX320AE CD-RW drive is having trouble recognizing my latest batch of Taiyo Yuden CDRs - has anyone else had any trouble with their recent stock?

I tested it with my older silver and gold TY CDRs and my Fuji TY CDRs and there was no problem. It couldn’t be the burn because TYs that I received in two recent trades also have trouble being read. I usually have to reinsert the disc a couple of times and then wait a while until it finally recognizes it. Other times it will recognize it right away, so I don’t know what the problem is. Are they using a new dye formulation or something?

I called Sony Tech Support and one tech told that they’ve never had any issues with anything like that before, but another tech told me that Sony drives can get fussy with certain CDRs over time - whatever that means…

They also said I could try running DriveCheck (a utility downloaded from Sony) to make sure that everything was functioning properly.

Each test was performed with CDRs from the same brand batch except where noted:

Test 1:
Taiyo Yuden Silver
Write: Passed
Read: Failed

Test 2:
Prodisc
Write: Failed
Read: N/A

Test 3:
Taiyo Yuden Fuji

Test 4:
Prodisc
Read: Passed

Test 5:
Taiyo Yuden Silver

Test 6:
Taiyo Yuden Fuji

Test 7:
Taiyo Yuden Fuji (Different Batch)

Test 8:
Prodisc

Test 9:
Taiyo Yuden Silver

I called Sony again to review the test results and they said the failures were caused by media errors. Is it possible that this test is just super sensitive, because I never have any trouble burning these CDRs, just recognizing them.

When the CDRs were recognized (after several tries), I tested them with Nero CD-DVD Speed and they all had excellent scores with no C2 errors. The problem just seems to be with the initial recognition - after that, they read, play and rip fine, and they play fine in all of my other players.

Someone else mentioned that maybe the laser needs to be cleaned, but I’ve heard that those wet brush cleaners can damage the lens. The other thing I’m wondering is if it’s possible that the drive is worn out after one year - I have done at least 300-400 burns during that time period. How many burns are in the life of a CDR drive? The reason I’m asking is because my last Sony drive lasted for four years before any problems showed up, but I also wasn’t doing as many regular burns back then. This drive actually had the same problem, but with ALL recently-burned CDRs, not just TYs.

The Sony tech said that it appears to be just an issue with the drive being fussy about recognizing certain discs (my drive has trouble recognizing certain Rhino/WEA discs also). They said if my drive was truly failing, then I would be getting unsuccessful burns and rips, which I haven’t. So it’s probably something I just have to live with.

Does anyone have any experience with this scenario? Sorry to be so long winded but I just want to be assured that my drive is functioning normally and that the hundreds of CDRs I’ve burned in the last couple of months are OK. I’d rather not buy a new drive right now if I don’t have to, but I also don’t want to keep burning important CDRs if the drive is on the way out.

Thanks!