My Sony CRX820e cannot read any dvd

Hi… everyone…

I replaced the cd-rw/dvd rom drive of my vaio labtop a yr ago.
But somehow it refuses to read any dvds. Actually, I’m not sure since when it stopped working. - It could be possible that my daughter touched the lens…:frowning:
It works great with any blank CD or CD-RW but it cannot read dvds. It just makes weird sound, it’s like it is trying to read but nothing appear on my computer or explorer. Is this problem about a lens? firmware?
I’ve been looking for the answer for more than 1 wk, I saw few people who had the same problem with their cd/dvd drives but no answers.
If anyone knows the cause of this problem or the solution, plz help…

• I can’t boot my labtop with a dvd.

Thank you.

I hope I am wrong.

When my laptop DVD burners start to die they make a tack tack tack sound when the laptop starts or when trying to access a DVD. I think CD’s work better in a dying drive than DVD’s because they hold less data.

You could always try the “jam a cotton bud in there” approach to see if it is simply dirt ?

If you’re worried about fingerprints, you could just dampen one end of a Q-tip, swab the lens, then dry it off with the opposite end of the Q-tip and see where that gets you.

Thanks guys…
I tried to clean the lens with a Q-tip, nothing was changed…
yeah…actually, when it’s trying to read dvds, it make a tack tack tack tack (4 times) sound…
But I can’t believe that it is dying b/c it is a pretty new one - I replaced the old one b/c it couldn’t even read cds.

Anyway, thanks for your help…