My SH-S202H thinks it's a DVD-RAM Drive

My CD/DVD Writer stopped working yesterday, it’s mechanically broken. However I NEED to get some DVDs out to clients this week.

So I hopped into dabs and bought this

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx…9,42949 57178

Anyway, whipped old one out - chucked this one in

Booted up and it thinks it’s a DVD-RAM drive.

It won’t read from any disks - it expects me to be putting in blank media to use as some sort of drive.

Never experienced this before - I just want to use it a normal CD/DVD RW - what settings do I need to change?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

It [B]IS[/B] DVD-RAM drive and any drive that is Muti DVD burner and supports DVD-RAM will appear as DVD-RAM drive in windows , not as CD/DVD RW

When you pun a blank disc it will not access the disc untill you burn something , just burn a disc and eject it and load it again and it should read it normally

Ok i think i got my terminology mixed up

it wont read any disk. it just keeps asking for a blank disc to format.

it’s somehow got into packet writing mode, and i cant get it out of packet writing mode.

i’ve put in another cd writer, and this too now thinks it’s in packet writing mode asking for a blank disk to format.

InCD launches automatically

i then put this new drive as a slave thinking a new drive letter for it might help, but now i have an old cd writer and this dvd writer both not reading normal disks and expecting blanks to be formated.

i never want to use packet writing - i just want it to read my disks, and let me use nero to record them like i always have in the past

tearing my hair out now - not sure what to do to get things working.

Do you have INCD installed? If so, UnInstall it.

i have uninstalled it, and uninstalled sonic record now and sonic dla too.

if i go to drive properties and into the record tab it’s unchecked, so windows isn’t doing the packet writing.

i even put a blank disk in, but it still says put disk in drive. if i check on windows handling the recording i can open the drive and put files there, then when i try and record it says there is no disk in the drive

if i try and format the blank disk it says there is no disk in there.

nothing seems to be working, it’s like it’s got inself totally confused.

[QUOTE=teapea;1984082]i have uninstalled it, and uninstalled sonic record now and sonic dla too.

if i go to drive properties and into the record tab it’s unchecked, so windows isn’t doing the packet writing.

i even put a blank disk in, but it still says put disk in drive. if i check on windows handling the recording i can open the drive and put files there, then when i try and record it says there is no disk in the drive

if i try and format the blank disk it says there is no disk in there.

nothing seems to be working, it’s like it’s got inself totally confused.[/QUOTE]

This will give nothing, windooze has no DVD (blanks) support.

Use Nero etc. and burnyour stuff to dvd.

Do you have Alcohol or Deamon Tools installed by any chance?

i do not have alcohol or deamon tools installed
i have cleaned off nero
taken off incd
taken off sonic dla
taken off sonic record now

i went into properties and turned on windows recording, so eveything is as “standard”

i put a blank cd-r in the drive

i can then copy the temp files to the drive, then when i use windows to record - it says there is no disk in the drive.

if i try and record through wmp, it says there is no disk in the drive.

i wont recognise anything

the same thing is happening with whatever drive i try and use in there (i have tried 2 other cd writers)

i don’t get it! i’ve never had problems before.

something seems to have set all my drives to packet writing, yet no packet writing software will recognise the drives.

i’m starting to think there is something set in the registry but i have no idea what.

Windows does not record. You need burning software. There are some free ones out there. If you use Nero, take InCD off of the startup menu if you install it. If you use Roxio, take Direct CD off of the startup menu.

'fraid you’re wrong there.

Windows XP will at least prepare audio and data CDs using CD recordable media through Windows Explorer.

Windows Vista will do both CD and DVD.

He attempted to burn a CD through Windows and Windows stated that there was no disc in the drive, usually Windows XP will recognize the blank disc then allow you to either go through it’s wizard or open up a file explorer window to drop files to be burned to the media.

:cop: There is no need to wake up an old thread with some off-topic discussion :cop: