My Second Plextor. I'm A Little Confused

vbimport

OK, this is my second Plextor PX-760A:

ID 0 (G) PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A V6.06 TLA:0106 (S/N:XXXXXX) (1.37.26C - 0.0.0A)
Drive Model: PX-760A
Read speed: 17-40 X CAV
Jumper Settings: n/a
Buffer Underrun Proof enabled
AutoStrategy: enabled
PoweRec: enabled
Auto Insert Notification: yes

Now, I’m a bit confused by the firmware revision. What is 6.06? I’ve never seen that mentioned anywhere, and it’s not downloadable from the Plextor web site. Has anyone ever used it or seen a PX-760A with it?

Also, can it ever be the case that firmware can wipe out the burn time information on a Plextor? I simply cannot believe that this drive has never burned a single DVD. It doesn’t look THAT new.

Note that this drive has a plain, non-descript faceplate, with no Plextor or AutoStrategy icons.

Never mind. I figured it out. 6.06 is for drives that are used in duplicators:

http://www.rimage.com/DAM_public/6727.pdf

It’s the equivalent of 1.06 for standalone drives, with some added tweaks.

Wow. If this drive was in a duplicator and was used so little, I got really lucky.

I went ahead and flashed to 1.07, and here is the first test burn. Jitter is a little bit higher than the other drive, but not out of spec.

You really ought to see what kind of results you get@16x on that media, my Plextors just seem to LOVE MCC 03RG20.

Uhmm… in the 755/760 Firmware MCC 03RG20 is just ‘plain’ AutoStrategy media, not even rated ‘compatible’ and not ‘recommended’ at all.

The quality of MCC 03RG20 seems to vary quite a bit more than their +r counterparts. I’m still ‘suffering’ through the rest of a spindle here that is probably the worst MCC 03RG20 ever made and always envy other peoples results with these, because they sure got a way better batch than mine :sad:

[QUOTE=hwp;2125784]The quality of MCC 03RG20 seems to vary quite a bit more that their +r counterparts. I’m still ‘suffering’ through the rest of a spindle here that is probably the worst MCC 03RG20 ever made and always envy other peoples results with these, because they sure got a way better batch than mine :sad:[/QUOTE]

I’ll bet you got some Prodisc. Prodisc manufactured Verbatim has gone completely downhill, especially in DVD-R. The current spindle I’m using is MAP7 (CMC), which has given people good results.

Bingo! :iagree:

Just thought I’d add that I too acquired a PX-760A with 6.06 firmware. I couldn’t find any info about it on the Internet except for this thread. Oh well, it’s flashed to 1.07 now and it just sings! Especially with CD ripping/burning. So far, I’m impressed.

This thing is pretty slowwww with DVDs though. Good thing I’ve got the BenQ DW1640.

Just to double check i have a PX-755sa (Haven’t installed due to lack of cable) it should be running the same firmware as the PX-760a right? as i plan to rip CDs mostly when i get the right cable.

Last FW for 755: 1.08.
Last FW for 760 :1.07.

However only the numbering-sheme is different. So 1.08/755 = 1.07/760.

I don’t know if i can’t read the graphs or what but i just had 1 question. my old optic drive died and i have aquired a PX-755sa and was noticing that some people report some unsettling times as far as ripping CDs (factory pressed Super Fast!) cause my old drive was taking somewhere in the area of 8min to rip and that isn’t counting the encoding. So my Question is what kind of time should i expect on factory pressed cds? Forgive my if i used the wrong word i mean the CDs that i buy from stores not Burned CDs

On both the 755/760 the maximum read speed for Audio is 40x on CD-ROM and CD-R and 32x on CD-RW. 40x should translate into less than 3min for a 80min disc.

That is what i was thinking but really didn’t want to get my hopes up. one last question was i screwing something major or does my old TSST corp TS-H552U (Dead Now) read that slow? cause i thought it said in the Specs it would read at 48X? (Using EAC with all the normal secure specs)