My Scan Results using a Lite-on

vbimport

Hi,

I was wondering how good these results were.
I was using Taiyo Yuden DVD-R’s with a Lite-On LH2OA1P (KLON Firmware)
Got a quality score of 93 as you can see.
Could i improve these results or are they good enough anyway to not be improved?
I am burning at 6x with Nero Version 8.2.
Got 2 GB RAM. With Intel Core 2 Duo. Using Windows XP SP2.
I am also scanning with the same writer i burned with.
Is this writer very well suited to Taiyo Yuden Media?

General Information
Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P
Firmware: KL0N
Disc: DVD-R (TYG03)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 17
Average: 2.55
Total: 38803
PI failures
Maximum: 3
Average: 0.01
Total: 1035
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 8:49
Number of samples: 100550
Average scanning interval: 1.21 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

Thank you.

Someone must know, surely.

Ah, yes they are. :iagree:

Tip: if you scan at 4x with your drive, the scan might look even better.

Tip 2: the quality score is only a baseline comparison, and shouldn’t be taken too serously. One little PIF spike can make it drop. :wink:

No need to try to improve them, in my opinion. But that’s just me. :stuck_out_tongue:

The results are fine & pretty typical for good quality DVD-R media. Being TY, they’ll last for a very long time too.

Every burner is suited to TY media, unless it’s a very $hit burner, in which case NO media will be suitable for the burner, in which case, rip off the front panel & use it to cook pizzas with. Or just return the burner for a refund.

If you are a hardcore CDFreak and demand 100% perfection, you could find some modified firmware for your drive which perfects the write strategies, experiment with different writing speeds & experiment with all the quality control On/Off features of your drive, different driver versions for your ide/sata card & of course, different software.

Ah! Excellent!

Thank you very much indeed mate.

The scan is usable but nothing to brag about. I would try to get better results myself.

Here is a preview of that drive as it is one of the first articles I ran across:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Lite-On-LH-20A1P-AllWrite-DVD-Writer-Preview/Features.html

Half way down the page you will find different options in smart burn that looks to support that drive.

If it were me I would look in the liteon forum and search for your drive, and scans people have posted…it will take some reading…but you may find hints on what makes that drive burn the best…be it media, smart burn, or different burn speeds. (I would try a burn @12x if that ty03 is 16x media…just to see).

I did not see the debro post…debro prob knows better then myself…still…I would try more options myself…as I bet you can get better results then that…??

I do not have a 20A1P, but it is one I would not mind having in my collection…Good Luck

Also…I would check on the 20a1p forum…that drive may support jitter readings on your scans…

If you were to try to get better results, your best bet would be to slow the burn down, as Roadhog said above. So I would just try a lower speed [12x is usually a good place].

You may also try tweaking the SmartBurn settings. However, note that some of the SmartBurn features–specifically, HyperTuning and Online Hyper Tuning–may not work with the Taiyo Yuden discs. [LiteOn has opted to disable HT/OHT when writing certain Taiyo Yuden media at certain speeds, but I cannot say for sure this will occur.]

Also, with good media, turning these options on gives worse results than it does better. But you can try and see. [Note: to check to see if HT/OHT are working, write a disc–don’t simulate–in CD-DVD Speed. There should be dips in the write graph where the drive pauses to recalibrate. If not, then HT/OHT isn’t taking place.]

I suggest browsing the LiteOn forum to see what others are getting, quality-wise. :wink: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/

may not work with the Taiyo Yuden discs. [LiteOn has opted to disable HT/OHT when writing certain Taiyo Yuden media at certain speeds

That is interesting Albert:bow:

Thanks Debro, Albert n Roadhog im guna try some of your suggestions…

Appreciate all your help.