My PX-716A is bad? who do i get RMA from?

vbimport

my drive -> 716A TLA0203 Firmware 104u

Media -> YUDEN000-T02-000
16x burns are coasters :Z

TLA0304 is looking good
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=862336&postcount=485

purchased from bestbuy on December 14, 2005.
do i call plextor for RMA?

That media is only rated at 8x and most can burn fine at 12x. Note the errors go up big after it is exceeding the 12x point. Can’t blame the Plextor for that. Some batches of that media act that way. Get Verbatim 16x media if you need 16x, but I say just burn at 12x or 8x and get quality burns.

There are a lot of fake YUDEN000-T02-000 discs on the market too… Try using a Verbatim verified 16 speed disc b4 condeming the Plextor…

I agree with VeryBadBoy. The YUDEN000T02 is Fuji that is on sale at bestbuy? What is the serial? Mine is GG0001133 and GG0001125 and burns fine.

Before you RMA, try burning that YUDEN000T02 @16x one or two more times with PR ON. If it still a coaster, try @12x. Also try MCC004 (Verbatim 16x).

Coud you tell the MID code and the label printed on it
and BTW the serial written around the hub
just to be sure it is not a fake …

Run the Plextools Media check on several of the blank discs - try 8x, 12x and 16x and see what results you get. It will tell you if the disc is capable of a quality burn at the selected speed before you do it. I tried it on several of a 50pack of the Fuji 8x DVD+Rs I got at BestBuy on sale last week and only a few of them can passs the Media check at 16x, most do so at 12x.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:YUDEN000-T02-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [YUDEN000]
Media Type ID : [T02]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

Fujifilm 50pk MIJ purchased this week from BestBuy.
serial -> TG001133

16x PR:ON scans on the way

i dont know who i am suppose to contact for RMA request. plextor? bestbuy?

Yep thats what I get for the most of the FujiFilm 8x DVD+Rs from Best Buy I got last week. Very few pass “judged as good” on 16x media check, most pass on 12x a few only on 8x.

Thats not a problem with the Plextor drive, no RMA needed. Thats just how 8x media quality varies. Plextor just allows you to try to burn at 16x, they don’t guarantee it will work all the time with 8x media! The FujiFilm media is rated at 8x, so they don’t guarantee above 8x burning either.

Use Verbatim 16x DVD+R media if you want to get higher quality 16x burns, or just burn the cheaper Fuji 8x media at 12x or 8x, its not that much slower but high quality at those speeds. By scanning with Plextools Media check first at least you can determine which speed is most likely needed for a good burn first.

number i posted above might not be the serial, its written on the disk. i threw the paper cover away.

don’t have MCC004 or other 16x media, i’ll keep a look out for some good deals

created another coaster :iagree:
PR:ON scans w/ logs

i’d like to see someone else’s scan with same speed, media, drive, Media Quality Check results

RMA would be from plextor correct?
http://www.plextor.com/english/support/support_rma.html

Try using Plextools to make a test disc and turn off PR and select 8x speed and then compare the quality. Also examine the surface of the discs first and make sure there are no obvious scratches or fingerprints or other stuff.

Please…i suspect there will be folks who’ll try and RMA just to get an 0304.

Cook Coke, that is not a good scan, unfortunately. I also notice that the burned media from Nero CDSpeed is DVD+R. You didnot set the booktype? What is the settings in Plextools - Drive Settings - Advanced?

i’d like to see someone else’s scan with same speed, media, drive, Media Quality Check results
See my sig.

You can’t RMA to bestbuy because it’s over 30 days. If you RMA to plextor, there’s no guarantee to get TLA 0304, and you will not get a brand new drive, Plextor RMA dept will send you a refurbished one.

I got a new drive, different serial number etc., mine WAS tested and found to be faulty…crazy vibrations. This new 0304 is super silent.

My TLA0203 is super-silent too.

My 0203 is perfect. I use Fugi 8X+R MIJ and Fugi-R8X. The +R burns at 16x and slows down at the end. The -R 8X burns 8X all the way.

Increased the buffer to 304 MBs
1.04U=FW
updated plex tools at the site

Interesting… will try that.

Doesn’t work. I up the Buffer Setting in Plextools to 310MB from default 40MB (total RAM in my system is 1GB), there is still slow downs at the end. Tested with YUDEN000T02, MCC004, and TYG02. Mine is TLA0203 fw1.04u.

Mine slows down also at the end on a 16x burn. You can force a 16x by disabling power record and enable speed read. TY MIJ burned a perfect movie using this method.

Be sure you have Sonic DLA and INCD removed from your computer.

only two options are unchecked “enable single session” & “enable hide cd-r media”. booktype of disk created by CD-DVD Speed v3.55 is DVD-ROM.

i have a MCC004 disk that came with the drive. Media Quality Check gives the same results as the YUDEN000-T02-000 @ 16x posted above “The drive may not write correctly on the disk at the recording speed you have selected”.
i’m going to create a data disk of it. for the purpose of the test, should “change booktype for +r” be left enabled? enabling SpeedRead “leads to excessive vibrations” could this be effecting Write? PR on or OFF?

i noticed here MCC004 TE is lower than T02 TE also T02 results say 16x burn not recommended.
Note: SpeedRead disabled in scan below

Thank you for your input. :slight_smile: I invite you to visit my quality test scans so you can see what I’ve been doing so far. Click one of the “link” in my sig. :slight_smile: