My ps2 has trouble playing dvd

I currently own a PS2 Slim Black version and I use that as my dvd player…no separate dvd player. Here is the thing. All the dvd movies I rent from my local video shop work perfectly fine on my ps2.

But heres a weird part. I’ve recently dled a movie and burned into a DVD-R disc.
The burn was a sucess. But when i play on my ps2, it plays ‘ok’ for couple of mins (there is some choppyness in the music). After couple of mins, the movie gets very choppy and keeps skipping parts.

And Eventually, ps2 comes up with the message “unable to read disc”.

So this is a mystery I really want to solve. Has it got something to do with DVD-R and DVD+R? Or something else?

would appreciate if someone can help me out :bow:
thx

PS2 are famously picky about what media they will (and more often) will not play.
The first thing is, what version is your PS2? Some are more forgiving than others.

Next, what brand of DVD-R did you use, and what burn speed?
These can both have an impact.

A general suggestion is to use Verbatim media, and burn at lower speeds.

Also, try using the search function on this site, as I know this subject has been discussed a lot of times before. :iagree:

I’ve recently [U]dled[/U] a movie and burned into a DVD-R disc.
The burn was a sucess. But when i play on my ps2, it plays ‘ok’ for couple of mins (there is some choppyness in the music). After couple of mins, the movie gets very choppy and keeps skipping parts.

what are you asking? Why a copy of a downloaded movie you don’t own will not play play correctly?
[B]
Please read the forum rules.[/B] :cop:

I dont know the exact version of the ps2
like i said its a black slim ps2. I’ve bought few months after it was first introduced.

I use memorex DVD-R 16x 4.7 gb
And I’ve burned at a speed of 2x hoping for better quality.

I’ve actually tried the search function but all i’ve seen is related to people with mod chips, burning their own games etc.

edit: Well I’ve tried on numerous movies. not just one. and They all have the same symptoms.

PS2 version guide linky here

Try a different brand of media.

However, PS2 are not really very good as DVD players as they are fussy about what they will play.

thanks professor.

According to that guideline, I have a version 12. So what does that mean?

Also I’ve done more search and is it true memorex is really horrible?

oh and not all my movies are dled. alot of them are burrowed from my friends/families.

If it’s skipping, you probably need different brand of media. I had the same problem with some back up games (slow loading, cut scenes stuttering), after I switched to MIJ Sony DVD-Rs it doesn’t seem to happen anymore.

what are some of the best brand of media? Ill try to get my hands verbatim like prof suggested. other than verbatim , what are some other ones i should consider?

v.12 PS2 (from memory) are not good at DVD playback, so you may be fighting a losing battle.
Try different media - just get a selection and see if any work.

Personally because of the unreliable nature of PS2 as a DVD player, I’d just save the money on testing out all the new media and buy a cheap standalone DVD player - it will probably cost you less :iagree:

sorry for such newby question. whats a dvd playback? is it same as the stuff i rent from my local video shop? the ones i rent work perfectly fine.:-o

I just mean playing back a burned DVD - exactly what you’re having trouble with.
DVDs that you rent from the video store are pressed rather than burned, and the difference in format and structure is likely what is causing problems with your PS2.

oh i just remembered. I tried playing one of the burned movies on a actualy dvd player and it didnt work either. so im guessing its the problem with the type of dvd i was using.
anyways i found a place where they sell verbatim :smiley:
now the question is DVD+R? or DVD-r? I dont wana end up buying the wroung one…(they cost alot :sad: )

DVD+R are better because you can set booktype to rom. PS2’s have never been any good with -R

ok thanks alot.
I just have one more question :o
the store im looking at dont sell any 16x verbatim dvd discs. they have a lot 4x.
So if im burning one of the 4x disc, then I should set my burning speed to 4x and higher? or 4x and lower?