To get things started:
PlexWriter Premium fw 1.05
Plextor PX-708A fw 1.08
Verbatim 52x CD-R (CMC) Phthalocyanine (1 spindle of 50)
Verbatim DatalifePlus 52x CD-R (MCC) Cyanine AZO (2 spindles of 50)
I used Nero CD-DVD Speed to create a DAE Quality Test Disc using both types of media (the CMC and MCC) and both are burned at 52x.
I then opened up ScanDisc with only surface scan checked I start the test. For the MCC test disc it starts to show errors (yellow=damaged) 62% into the scan the remaining 38% are all yellow errors.
The CMC disc however does not error and is 100% green. I ran the test twice on both types of media and the results were the same. I then opened up PlexToolsPro 2.19a and did the same test on both types of media. The MCC disc showed extremely high C2 errors and a 0.1 CU error while the CMC disc had no C2 or CU errors.
I thought oh well it’s probably only the discs on top so I pulled a disc near the bottom of the spindle and ran the tests again. Again, the results were still the same errored after 62%, however I brought one of these MCC AZO discs up to my cousin’s place and had him do a test on his Sony DRU-530A. Suprisingly the disc burned perfectly and did not error at all. No yellow blocks and no C2 or CU errors. I used 3 discs on his drive just be sure and the results were the same; all 3 disc were 100% green. We both use the same version Nero 184.108.40.206 and run Windows XP Pro.
Does this mean my Plextor doesn’t like AZO dyed type discs? or is it just a bad batch?