My Philips DVD+/-RW 8631 suddenly doesn't work!

vbimport

The Problem is with the Philips DVD+/-RW DVD8631 drive with Windows XP Home. Since about three months ago it has ceased to be able to burn disks and eventually the drive has stopped opening and closing the tray. When I have been able to insert any media the drive does nothing. The light on the front of the drive does show activity at start-up etc and the drive is detected in device manager.

I have attempted a few steps from the support website to solve the problem. Nothing works. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drive. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver (and updated). I have uninstalled the IDE controls and reinstalled them there are two Primary Channels, should there be? One I can’t enable. The system always detects and reinstalls the drives after reboot.

I hope somebody can help me. Thank you in advance for your help!

Welcome to cdfreaks :slight_smile:
Disconnect the IDE cable and use a different power connector, so the drive is only connected to power. If the drive still does not open/close the tray there is nothing you can do.

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the reply. I am going to attempt to do that now and see what happens.