My pc wants can not reinstall software lost off HDD

vbimport

i recently had remove one of my SATA HDD. it was my third one i used for storing games.
this was removed due to it dying on me and i re-arranged everything else and all is working fine.
No Virus, no hardware faults nothing.
all legal copies of all software.
when i try to re-install any of the software that was on the defunct HDD windows vista tells me there is an error on the H: drive (the one now dead and removed) and therefore can not continue to install.

i am getting really frustrated.
How do i stop windows seeing this HDD if it is not there. i have checked the admin tools and the HDD does not show up…help

I was going to give you a suggestion but then realized your using vista, sorry man. Welcome to the forum anyways jjreynolds, someone will chime in :slight_smile:

Did you uninstall the software prior removal?
I think you problem is in registry. Most likely there is a reference in there to those software and once you try to install, OS try to repair to H drive.

thanks sounds right to me. how do i remove these from the registry…is there a way to do it

Removing bits of each program from the registry could take forever. Personally, I’d just bite the bullet and reinstall everything :wink:

i have been told that i might have old software links within my registry. when i try to re-install a game that was on an old HDD now removed the OS is trying to repair the link to the old HDD in order to re-install.
does anyone have any ideas how i go about removing these software links still remaining behind, so that i can re-install to a new location

many thanks

You will need to clean the registry. You can google registry cleaners. Make sure that you search for reviews before you decide to use one, and that you make a backup of your registry. One wrong move in the registry, and you could render your pc useless… A cleaner that a lot of folks here have used (myself included), is cccleaner.

The best method, would be to format your pc and do a fresh install of windows, then reload all of your stuff. Just make sure you make a backup of anything that you might need. Formatting wipes out everything on your hard drive.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2094589]
The best method, would be to format your pc and do a fresh install of windows, then reload all of your stuff. Just make sure you make a backup of anything that you might need. Formatting wipes out everything on your hard drive.[/QUOTE]

I agree. :slight_smile:

** Two threads merged **

You can use the “Find” in the registry to find remnants. That’s what the “Find” is for…but yeah back up your registry before deleting anything.

thanks for the help…i have now got rid of the links and am now installing my software again…you guys are great