My PC gets stuck when turning off or restart

vbimport

Hi,

Recently, my PC has got problems when I turn it off or want to restart.
It freezes when it gets to the windows blue screen before turning off.
This happens since I began to make photo slideshows or DVDs by importing/eding videos.

I’m sure it is linked to this, like a full cache problem or so.
I work in XP SP2

Can anybody help?

Thank you
Alex

A program running in the background is not shutting down properly. Type MSCONFIG in the RUN box and click on the StartUp tab. Uncheck all items (you can recheck them later). Reboot and retest system. 1GHz PIII isn’t well suited for editing video.

DELL website has a 2.8GHz P4 with 19" LCD for about $550 (Dimension 4700). This is a cheap PC but it gets the job done. You obviously have the $ to buy toys. Spend it wisely. The old PC is a DOG. Donate it to charity.

This deal is available in the US.

How about giving this a try using registry editor. If you’re not familiar with using it be sure to do a restore point before modifying in case you make an error

Start - Run - Regedit
Navigate to the following Registry key:
HKEY CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Double click on the AutoEndTasks entry and replace the 0 with a 1 in the Value data text box

If that didn’t help go back and change it to 0 again.

Read More Here:
http://www.tweakxp.com/article19401.aspx

Well, I tend to disagree on this statement, it’s a question of needs.
So far, I’m doing any sort of video/photo editing and CD/DVDs without any trouble.
The one I just mentioned has nothing to do with being a PIII, otherwise it would have shown up earlier.
My PC is clean, no games etc. and it runs fast enough for my needs.
I think it’s much better having a less powerfull but clean system than a P4 full of crap.

Nonetheless, I tried your suggestion and let’s see how it works.
As I said, it happens not so often, so I will have to wait untill I do my next recoding or so to see whether it works or not.
MSCONFIC is something I’m quite familiar with, you can uncheck programs on the startup in order to not run, but is there a way to let them disappear instead?
For instance I have NeroCheck, qttask and InterVideo WinCinema Manager disabled, but I’d like to have them not in the start up at all, any way to delete them from there?

Thank you!
Alex

“For instance I have NeroCheck, qttask and InterVideo WinCinema Manager disabled, but I’d like to have them not in the start up at all, any way to delete them from there?”

Download this free but very compact program, it will do what you are asking.
It will reside in your control panel. :iagree:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Last night I left my PC downloading something and I programmed a shutdown at 02.00 hrs (I use Switch Off and it has always worked fine, it has the function “force applications to close”, never had a problem before).
This morning I found it hanged over to “Windows is shutting down”, I could move the mouse pointer but CTR+ALT+DLT did not work, so I kept the switch push 3-4 sec. untill the PC shutted down.
Then turned PC on again, tried to switch off, but again hanged over.

Very strange.

I’ll keep you informed, if you have any other idea to look at, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

Alex

Uncheck ALL items in MSCONFIG’s StartUp tab and retest.

Probably too many applications running. Symantec’s ccApp is known to cause REAL slowdowns and sometimes refuses to be killed. I get slowdowns with Windows Messenger (msmsgs.exe) too.

This is because MSCONFIG is not the proper way to disable startup applications or any other resources. This is a “Selective” process and that is why you get that notification immediately after rebooting. MSCONFIG should be used only as a quick view tool.
This is why you also have that long list of unchecked boxes in MSCONFIG.

The proper way to disable unwanted startup programs is to enter the Registry and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Here you can delete the start up entry and there will not be any unchecked boxes left in MSCONFIG as this change is a permanent change and not a “Selective” change.

If these entries are deleted from the Registry they will no longer appear as unchecked boxes in MSCONFIG.
The Registry location is:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

You can clean up MSCONFIG by deleting the appropriate entries here.

Hi,

in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I have nothing to remove because I do have only the necessary startup programs.

in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

I have NeroFilterCheck and QuickTimeTask
If i click NeroFilterCheck I have six entries:

command
hkey
inimapping
item
key

Shall I remove the root NeroFilterCheck or only some of the six entries?

As far as the IntervideoWinCinema is concerned I found it in here:

in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder\C:^Documents and Settings^All Users^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk

Can I remove the root C:^Documents and Settings^All Users^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk

or not?

Thanks for your help!

Alex

Yes, the root should be removed. This will clear the unchecked NeroFilterCheck box from MSCONFIG.

Yes, this can also be removed. This will clear this item from the unchecked list as well.

you can also use the advanced tab on spybot and go into “system startup” and uncheck any items you want to test, then if you want to remove them permanently, you can highlight and delete them. Be aware some programs like real player, and quicktime will reload the startup item everytime you use them. So it is best to check your startup list once a week or so. Hope this is helpful.

I forgot to say that I had the same problem appear out of nowhere, and I found tha in my situation the sound file that plays upon shutting down windows was corrupted and it was hanging up my comp, until I removed the offending sound file. Good luck.

My company just bought a bunch of the Dell Dimension 4700 computers. One of them has the same problem the OP described. When I try to shut it down it shuts down almost completely and then gets a blue screen and a fan goes on inside. It wont go off until you hold the power button down. It has done this since we turned it on. Have you found a solution? I will tell you if I find out any info. It only has the software that came with it installed. It is a mystery and I wonder if it is the motherboard.

-crumb

ps. does you fan go on also