My own tests DVD+R/RW with DVD-R/RW

Helo guys ,

At my company I was assigned to select what standard we will use for DVD data writing the DVD PLUS or MINUS .

So I did a lot of tests with 2 different writers : HP DVD 200i (DVD+R/RW) and Pioneer A03 (DVD-R/RW) and here is my throughts :

1. Speed .

No comments here the HP is defenatly the winner it’s x2.4 is much faster then x2 Pioneer offers (and to reach this x2 I had to hunt down “special” disks , with most of the media it writes only x1) .

1. DVD-ROM / players compatibility .

Here there was a lot of confusion on the net about this topic but according to results I saw (7 different DVD-ROMs , 5 different DVD players + Playstastion 2) the is NO DIFFERENCE in compatibility between 2 standards , some old players did not “liked” both DVD+RW and DVD-RW (I saw only one case when player was able to read DVD-RW and culdn’t DVD+RW but using HP’s utility fixed this) . Both DVD-R and DVD+R read PERFECTLY on any player/DVD-ROM .
My theory that because the PLUS standard come out first with DVD+RW only (without DVD+R) this gave birth to the “less compatible” hypo , of cause DVD+RW less compatible then DVD-R but DVD+R fixes this problem .
Crossplatform:
Installing lattest firmware update on HP made it read DVD- disks without any problems , while Pioneer had a lot of problems reading DVD+ disks .

1. CDROM / CDROM Writers issues .

Here again HP drive is absolute winner the CDROM writing /readin/rewriting speeds is much faster then Pioneer’s .
Another issuer is a software compatibility , the HP drive can be used with most of even old CD writing programs to write CD , the JustLink buffer underrun protection get recogonized by any software that can use it and such , while in Pioneer case you had to have a “support” for this drive by the program to make it work .
Even the Symantecs old Ghost worked on HP without any problems to create CDs while none of such programs worked on Pioneer .

1. Copieability .

I don’t know who can be interested but you can’t make perfect 1:1 copy of a DVD using DVD- standard , the area of the disk where encription should be stored is not writable on DVD- media .
On the other hand it can be done without a problems on DVD+ media .

1. Technology .

The DVD+ standard has some other technical adventages over DVD- :

• Media managment (ability to mark some sectors as bad and remap them) - this cool feature almost usless in DVD+R but in DVD+RW it saves the day , if you use your DVD+RW disk as a floppy , you don’t need to throw away you disk if you screatched it .

• Mount Rainer support - this one has to be seen yet but obiouse and immidiate advantage of it’s support is ability to format DVD+RW disk in few seconds instead of 1/2h on DVD-RW .

• The DVD+ standard has 2K block size while DVD- has 32K block size , it’s not that important untill you recall that Windows’ cache block size is 2K :smiley:
    And indeed Microsoft selected the DVD+ (PLUS) standard to be supported in next version of Windows (look about this here .

You probably already guessed whitch standard I selected for my company :bigsmile: , I am not promoting the DVD+ standard but the usability and feel of the PLUS standard was such better that I had to tell you about .

Of cause many people whould probably disagree (specially the people who already bought DVD- drive :wink: ) but this is the my opinion and my choise .
Of cause new Sony drive will solve out this problem :slight_smile:

It looks like I am not omly one who thinks so . This newspost on CDFreaks site tells the same story .

No comments here the HP is defenatly the winner it’s x2.4 is much faster then x2 Pioneer offers (and to reach this x2 I had to hunt down “special” disks , with most of the media it writes only x1) .

Of course. And there is media around that the DVR-A03 won’t even write at 1x properly…wait a year or so and we’ll see as many crap media for dvd+ as we now see for dvd-… :stuck_out_tongue: It has been the same with cd-r!

And with new highspeed media coming, there will be even more crap media out. The first available ones are based on a princo dye. Ouch. I hope Sony is not going to bundle such ones with their drive.

(I saw only one case when player was able to read DVD-RW and culdn’t DVD+RW but using HP’s utility fixed this)

I know someone whose DVD player only reads dvd+rw discs if this utility is not used…while other players require it to be used.
As to DVD-ROMs: Many Toshiba drives won’t read DVD+RW discs at all.

some old players did not “liked” both DVD+RW and DVD-RW

Which one did it not like? There are some older players that don’t read anything but Verbatim media (which is, fortunately, very easy to get here at 4 euro / dvd-r and 5,50 euro / dvd-rw).

if you use your DVD+RW disk as a floppy

As I said, packet writing would be nice if there was software available that works better than InCD, DirectCD and InstantWrite.
Do your discs still become unaccessable if windows crashes while writing to a packet writing dvd+rw disc?

Of cause new Sony drive will solve out this problem

And I would of course buy one if I hadn’t bought a DVR-A03 some time ago.

As to 90% vs 77%: Believe me, Pioneer DVD-RW media is far below Verbatim in its compatibility! LG 12x/16x can’t read it at all and my Toshiba 1502 has serious trouble reading it…I didn’t believe that they make such bad media…
You can actually achieve any compatibility you want for DVD-R.
“Pioneer DVD-R” doesn’t say anything. They can be made by Pioneer or Mitsubishi.
Anything between 0% and 90% or more is possible…you only need to choose the correct media for the percentage you want to achieve. This is the crap-media-issue that will arise for dvd+r as well.
A test that can be taken seriously must contain

• a complete list of players tested
  • a complete list of media used, everything between princo and mitsubishi.
  • for every player a list of media that worked and that didn’t work.

As an additional node: PC-Welt some time ago did a DVD-R test and tried to replay Mitsubishi dvd-r media on 70 settop players: All of them worked flawlessly, which would give a score of 100%…so this should make clear how important the quality of the media is.