My new Z77 Ivy Bridge build

vbimport

Yeah I’m a sucker for new technology. :slight_smile:

Anyway, the Intel Z77 chipset boards have just launched today, and the Ivy Bridge processors will launch near the end of the month.

As most of you will know, I review hardware for MyCE, and there is a lot of new hardware goes in and out of my case. My present case is the Antec 900. It’s been a great case, but with all the hardware going in and out of the case, the case is a mess. It’s also beginning to look quite worn, with a few scratches. So this time around I’ll also be replacing the case.

After a lot of research having looked at cases such as the Corsair Obsidian 650D, which is a great case but is not suitable for my needs, as I have restricted height below the desk, and the external USB2/3 ports are mounted right at the top of the case meaning I wouldn’t be able to use them without pulling the case out from under the desk.

So at last I have decided on a case.
The Antec Performance One P280.
It has everything I want from a case.

[ul]
[li]Able to take extra large ATX motherboards
[/li][li]Easy to access HDD/SSD bays
[/li][li]Excellent cable management
[/li][li]It’s a quiet case as well
[/li][/ul]I haven’t decided on a motherboard yet, but it will be one of the following.

Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE Intel Z77
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Intel Z77
Asus P8Z77-V PRO Intel Z77
MSI Z77A-GD65
And also the yet to be released MSI Z77A-GD80 which has a thunderbolt port.

The CPU will be the 3770K (if reviews when it’s launched are good)
I will also be considering the 3570K

I’ll be re-using the 8GB of G.Skill RIPJAW X 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
I’ll also be using my trusted Enernax PSU, which I’ve just checked for leaking capacitors, and all is well. :slight_smile:
I won’t need to worry about storage :smiley:

I may order up the case and motherboard later this week and use the Sandy Bridge 2600K. At least by doing this I can make sure the motherboard is stable.

Will there be anyone else updating to Z77 and Ivy Bridge?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the components I have selected?

Case looks ok, huge, with good cable management, also i believe that it can take an H100 easily.
If i was to get a new motherboard now i would have choose ASUS, i believe that the deluxe version has everything that someone can possibly ask from a Z77 mobo.

2Gb LAN (one is high quality Intel LAN)
USB 3.0
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
Dual band 2.4/5GHz & Bluetooth v4.0

and USB BIOS Flashback

But, you can always wait to read some reviews, and decide what fit your needs.

Yo-

For some good (Newegg) shots of the case go here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129179

(I can clearly see where five of the case fans go - one back - two top and two front - wonder where the other two go?)

I liked the Asus pro because of all the USB headers, the MSI doesn’t look to bad for me as it has the easy overclocking feature.

@vroom
Yep the Asus P8Z77 V Deluxe certainly looks awesome, it’s perhaps a little bit overkill as I probably won’t use a graphics card, but it certainly has a lot of features that I would use. For cooling I had thought about the Corsair H100, But its quite expensive. I’ll wait till I get hold of an Ivy Bridge CPU, and see how the Arctic Freezer 13 performs. The Freezer 13 will be used in PC2 anyway, but if it can cope then I may buy another, or perhaps a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO.

@bigmike
On the front of the Antec P280, there are 2 120mm fan mounts just behind the front of the door, there are another 2 120mm fan mounts just behind the HDD bays. You can choose to blow air across the HDDs or suck air over the HDDs. Antec say that using the fans behind the HDD bays will reduce noise.

@ivan
I also liked the very clean layout of the MSI boards, and very nearly pulled the trigger on the Z77A-GD65. However, that Asus P8Z77 V Deluxe looks very appealing.

I have 2-3 motherboards from MSI and all of them worked perfect, so i can only assume that if you get the gd65 it would work just fine, it simply happens that if i was going to get a new motherboard i would have choose the ASUS deluxe.
No idea how the Cooler Master performs, but i would be more than happy to get the H100 if i could. Off topic, i use an A70 and i cam very happy with it’s performance, the only negative is that it want fit if you use high profile memory.

[QUOTE=Dee;2629627]
@bigmike
On the front of the Antec P280, there are 2 120mm fan mounts just behind the front of the door, there are another 2 120mm fan mounts just behind the HDD bays. You can choose to blow air across the HDDs or suck air over the HDDs. Antec say that using the fans behind the HDD bays will reduce noise.[/QUOTE]

Yo Wendy-

I would think that one or two 120mm fans [I]behind[/I] the hard drives (depending on configurtion and number of hard drives) would be preferable to the two front fans.

Yep - the Asus P8Z77 would be my preference too. :clap:

I pulled the trigger on the Asus P8Z77 V Deluxe, and the Antec P280.
They should arrive on Thursday.

Thanks for the input, and I’ll post some screenshots of the build, once I put the thing together.

Nice choices Dee! Should be a rock’n system. :cool:

Sorry I didn’t get to post opinions sooner. :doh:

As promised, a picture of my build.

The case is wonderful, its got loads of room, the cable management is excellent, and it’s very near silent.

The motherboard seems to be excellent quality, but feels much like Z68 in use. That isn’t really surprising as it has the Sandy Bridge 2600K in it at the moment.
So far its stable, but its only been running for a few hours. :slight_smile:

I ended up not being able to use my Enermax PSU, as the 8 pin CPU supply lead was to short to run behind the motherboard tray, and I didn’t want to spoil the neat build.
So I ended up using my spare Antec True Power 550, which should have more than enough power for this build.

[QUOTE=Dee;2630428]As promised, a picture of my build.

The case is wonderful, its got loads of room, the cable management is excellent, and it’s very near silent.

The motherboard seems to be excellent quality, but feels much like Z68 in use. That isn’t really surprising as it has the Sandy Bridge 2600K in it at the moment.
So far its stable, but its only been running for a few hours. :)[/QUOTE]
Very nice! :clap:. I am so jealous :bigsmile:

I’m looking forward for the new CPU :bigsmile:

Wow, that sure is a neat installation. I didn’t know what all that space was for behind the MB.LOL Much improvement from all those big ole ribbon cables, huh.

Yo Wendy-

WOW - what a nice build and I love how the case allows the hidden wiring!

One suggestion - it looks like you have a opportunity to leave a space between the hard drives - and I would suggest leaving that middle slot blank to give optimum opportunity for the fan to pull max air over the drives.

Wendys build is rockin and rollin but with all that great cable management and all that beautiful hardware and fantastic case, I bet she going to hide it under her desk. LOL ( I have inside info).;):wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2630569]…I bet she going to hide it under her desk. LOL ( I have inside info).;);)[/QUOTE]

Yo Alan-

Yup - just like she said she was going to do in her initial post-eh yahoser!! :stuck_out_tongue:

hehe
Well yes no one is going to see how tidy the build is, as the case has no window, and it is indeed hidden under the desk. But a tidy build and cables out of the way makes for much better air flow through the case, and that will be important for this case as it’s built for silent running, which means low speed fans.

Other other main reason and possibly more important than silent running is.
Easy access to the drive bays without messing up the cabling. In the 900 case I had, i had to remove the drive bay (eight thumb screws), undo the cooling fan on the bay, remove the four screws holding the drive in the bay, replace the drive, then put it all back together.
30 - 35 minutes of work, and the cabling was a total mess.

With the new case, I can replace a drive in under 2 minutes, from start to finish, and that includes removing and replacing the cases sides, and no mess with the cables.

@Mike
What you can’t see in the picture of the build is.
The HDDs are 2cm apart, and there is airflow channels in the drive trays themselves.
I also need to keep the HDDs at the top as SSDs are much shorter than 3.5 inch HDDs, which means moving the HDD down, and placing an SSD in the slot makes it hard to reach the SATA data and power cables.

The HDD temps are good anyway (see first screenshot)

Moving on
I done a quick overclock using the Asus AI tuner, then ran the Aida stress test.
This board rocks, as I’ve already had the 2600K @ 5GHz, but backed it down after a few minutes as the temps were getting a bit high. For comparison. The Asrock board hit a brick wall at 4.8GHz.

The AI auto overclock set the following.
BCLK to 103.02 MHz
CPU multiplier to 43
Resulting to 4.43GHz
RAM was set to 1648MHz with 8.8.8.24 CR2 (this ram with do that at CR1 so there is still room for improvement).

Screenshot 1
AIDA64 stress test and temperatures (including HDDs)
Ambient room temperature was 18c

Screenshot 2
CPUZ showing CPU speed and VCore
Real temp showing max temps for each core

Screenshot 3
AIDA64 memory and cache benchmark.
It just goes to show that you don’t need quad channel memory to get fast memory transfers and low latency.

[QUOTE=Dee;2630688]@Mike
What you can’t see in the picture of the build is - The HDDs are 2cm apart, and there is airflow channels in the drive trays themselves.
I also need to keep the HDDs at the top as SSDs are much shorter than 3.5 inch HDDs, which means moving the HDD down, and placing an SSD in the slot makes it hard to reach the SATA data and power cables.[/QUOTE]

Yo Wendy-

I fully understand about the short and long drives. What I was trying to say was…There appears to be six available drive bays…number six (at the very bottom) appears to be empty…by moving all drives from bay two down a bay and leaving bay two empty would give more opportunity for the air to flow more freely around the hard drives - but since they are just running at 75f - it probably is a mute point-eh.

@Mike
I took your advice on this and moved the bottom HDD down one slot, and have seen a 2c degree drop in the temps from both HDDs. It’s not a huge amount but any improvement is good, so thanks for that.

Yo Wendy-

Thank you.

*(just happy that I could be of help to you for once - :smile:)