My new PX-716UFL

Well, actually it was originally just a 716AL I bought off ebay recently that arrived today. I hurried to remove the 760A from my Plextor external case and replace it with the new drive. As soon as I could I connected my new “716UFL” to the PC and fired up PXinfo to see the burn times. I was quite pleased to see this.

Congratulations, nice buy :iagree:. What’s the manufacturing date of that unit?

Gah, why do you ask me that after I put it in the case? It’s TLA #0202 so the manufacturing date would be sometime in 2006.

Well, your announcement included both acts (buying and putting it into a case), so i could hardly have wedged my question in between :disagree:

I’m trying to keep track of Plextor serials and production dates and so far for the 716al s/n 151xxx produced in october '05 was the most recent drive i’ve seen. FW 1.02 dates from Dec. 1. 2005. Looking at the earlier monthly production rate from the serials i have i think it’s likely to be produced in Dec. or Jan., if they kept their rate up at the same level. However i found the production quantity to vary quite a bit, depending on how well a drive sold. That’s why i asked.

My drive’s serial number starts with 178xxx so it’s definitely more recent that the one you saw. Also, take a look at this official 716UFL’s label: http://detail.zol.com.cn/picture_index_59/index582580.shtml

Congratulations to your new drive. Great buy I guess. Never made a burn so far. What could be better…

Is there a reason for a slot in drive. I’m not sure about the advantages of a slot in burner. I guess the disk may be scratched easier with a slot in mechanism!?

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;1943668] Also, take a look at this official 716UFL’s label: http://detail.zol.com.cn/picture_index_59/index582580.shtml[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the case s/n is not identical to s/n of the drive that is inside the case. So together with your recent serial: of the 178xxx AL drives built about 135xx were put into external cases and sold as UFL.

[QUOTE=TM;1943707]Is there a reason for a slot in drive. I’m not sure about the advantages of a slot in burner. I guess the disk may be scratched easier with a slot in mechanism!?[/QUOTE]

I used to own a Pioneer slot in DVD-ROM (http://www.pioneer.de/de/products/archive/DVD-A06S/index.html). The definitve advantage is faster loading of media. You don’t have to wait for the tray to eject until you place the disc. You just enter the disc. Eject is faster too since the disc only ejects half way so you can grip it. No handling problems (scratching etc.) at all.

Burner: PX-716UFL TLA #0202
Firmware: 1.02
Media: Verbatim 16x DVD+R
MID: MCC004
Stamper Code: ZD8145-DVR-T47D
Hub Serial: PAPA27KG27015581 3
Burn Speed: 16x
AS: Auto
PR: Off
Burning Software: Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.5

Burner: PX-716UFL TLA #0202
Firmware: 1.02
Media: Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R white inkjet hub printable
MID: MCC004
Stamper Code: TH000021
Burn Speed: 16x
AS: Auto
PR: On
Burning Software: Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.5

There was a mistake on the last post, PowerRec was not off but was enabled.

Nice burn!

Only disadvantage with the Slot in Plextor is that the frontbezel looks somewhat ugly.

[QUOTE=hwp;1943921]I used to own a Pioneer slot in DVD-ROM (http://www.pioneer.de/de/products/archive/DVD-A06S/index.html). The definitve advantage is faster loading of media. You don’t have to wait for the tray to eject until you place the disc. You just enter the disc. Eject is faster too since the disc only ejects half way so you can grip it. No handling problems (scratching etc.) at all.[/QUOTE]

I know the Pioneer DVD ROM. I have one slot in drive somewhere (withj SCSI interface). I don’t know if this is an disadvantage, but the firmware support for the PX-716AL was never as good as for the PX-716A/SA. I don’t know why but they never made so much updates for the 716AL…

Maybe when I get one for a fair price and a white bezel I’ll grab one… :smiley: …but currently I guess I have enough Plextors :o

Is your drive black or white?

It’s black.