My new nec 2500a and nero

vbimport

hey yall, got a problem, after copying my dvd with dvd shrink onto my hard drive so its now time to burn…well i havent gotten any media yet so im just trying out the newegg media i got with my drive which were ritek’s. Went into Nero and i was burning at 4x so it says about 14 minutes and im happy with that for now…but then the my buffer level on the lower bottom is inconsistent and ends up the dvd instead of 14 minutes to finish burning, it takes 1 hour and 14 minutes!! outrageous, wandering if its the drive or what…anyone have this problem? help please

which ritek’s do u use? possible that they very old (1x speed) and the nec2500 thinks that they are 4x but the write-strategy is in fact 1x.

try different media. if te problem remains exchange the nec.

Make sure the DMA is enabled on that IDE channel also.

You describe almost perfectly a DMA problem. The easiest fix (assuming Windows 2000 or XP) is to go into the Device Manager as an Administrator, uninstall the IDE channel that the DVD drive is on, and reboot. Whilst this seems a potential source of problems, nobody has yet said it has caused them problems.

There is an arguably more elegant fix, but it involves registry editing. Simply choosing “DMA if possible” won’t necessarily select DMA - this is arguably a bug in Windows.

David

Originally posted by DavidW
[B]You describe almost perfectly a DMA problem. The easiest fix (assuming Windows 2000 or XP) is to go into the Device Manager as an Administrator, uninstall the IDE channel that the DVD drive is on, and reboot. Whilst this seems a potential source of problems, nobody has yet said it has caused them problems.

There is an arguably more elegant fix, but it involves registry editing. Simply choosing “DMA if possible” won’t necessarily select DMA - this is arguably a bug in Windows.

David [/B]

I have the same problem of slow burning with my NEC-2500A. Differnet brands of DVD-R disks all take about 45 minutes to burn movies onto. I switched the NEC drive into master and flashed my firmware to Herrie’s beta 7 but burning various disks at 4x and 6x speeds all yield over 45minute burn times. Can someone five me step by step insruction on

1. how IDE channel can be uninstaled and
  2. What EDI mode is and how it can be turned on in the Bios

Thank you in advance for your help on this matter!

You can uninstall an IDE channel in Windows 2000 or XP using the Device Manager (Control Panel, System, Hardware tab), by right clicking over it and choosing Uninstall. You will need to be an Administrator.

A full primer on IDE modes and similar is really too complicated for a forum reply. Suffice it to say that there’s various transfer modes on IDE and you need to ensure that your drives are using the fastest possible. BIOS settings, meanwhile, are different from BIOS to BIOS - generalisation is impossible.

David

Thank you DavidW for your response…

I checked the DMA setting and the Transfer Mode is set to “DMA if available” on both the primary and the secondary IDE channels. However, “Current Transfer Mode” shows “PIO Mode” on both. I’ve trid to uninstall the IDE channel NEC-2500A is on (primary) but when the PC in rebooted, window reinstalls to return to how it was before.

Next thing I want to try is enabling the “EDI mode” in the Bios as someone had suggested before. How can I do this?

FYI, My pc is a P4 2.4Ghz Dell Dimension 4550 with 533mhz fsb and a pair of 512mb PC3200 rams (tot. 1 gig running at 333Mhz). It has XP Home and I am using the latest Nero Ultra and DVD Shrink. Much thanks!!!

Something else you might want to check is the cable connecting your NEC drive. I’ve seen lots of systems with crappy 40 wire IDE cables when it should be the better 80 wide UDMA type IDE cables.

well turns out that i had my external enclosure was the problem as when i put it in internally, things seemed to be normal again…thanks again u guys rock! if i have any problems id be sure to try those basic things…thanks again for your guys quick help!

Does anyone know which cable dell dimension 4550 comes with?

Thanks…

Originally posted by ysspo
Does anyone know which cable dell dimension 4550 comes with?

Open your case, take a look, and count the number of wires on the IDE cable :wink:
It should be pretty obvious.

I have a 2500A in my Dell 4550 and it burns fine with 1.07b7 firmware using Nero 6 and Roxio 6. I don’t think the IDE cables are the problem.

Dave

Dell are near certain to use 80 wire cables - Dell factory IDE cables are usually excellent quality.

ysspo - your system is taking a huge performance hit from everything being in PIO mode. Look around in the BIOS for Ultra DMA enabling options. If you can’t figure it out, post again and I’ll try to go through the BIOS documentation for you, though I haven’t got access to any modern Dimensions.

David