My new computer won't read my cdrw's

vbimport

My new computer won’t read my cdrw’s. It will read my cdr’s, I don’t understand.

Welcome to the forums shyla.

Optical drives vary somewhat in their reading abilities. Sometimes you can update firmware to improve this, but with a new computer there may not be any updates available. Is this a laptop by any chance? Laptop drives in particular seem to be less reliable.

Welcome, Shyla :slight_smile:

How old are the CD-RW discs, and what brands have you tried?

As with all blank media, some brands/manufacturers are a bit better than others - and it maybe that your drive doesn’t get along with those particular discs.

Do the discs already have data on them, or are you wanting to burn on them?

My new computer is actually a desktop. I still had some blank ones left, so as a test I burned some pictures onto it. My new computer had no trouble reading it. It seems to only have trouble reading the disks that I burned on my old computer.

It seems that my new computer has only trouble reading the disks that I burned off my old computer. I still had some blank ones left, so as a test I burned some pictures onto it. My new computer had no trouble reading it.

You may want to try a specialized program for extracting information off of hard to read disks. Try ISOBuster to get the information off the old cdrw disks and onto the hard drive.

There is a free version of ISOBuster. Click on [I]Download[/I] (not the Buy Now button) http://www.isobuster.com/isobusterdownload.php