My new computer and some questions

vbimport

Intel® Core™2 Quad Proc Q6600 (2.40GHz,8MB L2Cache,1066FSB)
Vista
Dell 22 inch Widescreen E228WFP Analog Flat Panel Display
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz - 2DIMMs
Single Drive: 16X (DVD+/-RW) Burner Drive
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600GT

Above is the dell computer I am thinking about getting. The current sale price is $769 (American)

I am going to throw in my current 500gb hard drive as a second and put in my dvd burner.

1. Is the video card suspect? any other parts suspect?

2. I want to be able to play my MAME games and my SNES and N64 emulators on a 36 inch analog tv. my tv has an s video in and the video card seems to have an s video out, so that should work right?

3. I don’t expect to be able to be able to play video games that are release later this year on the highest video settings, but I should be able to play them on the medium settings?

4. This set up rings up as $500 off the normal price. This seems to be a pretty good deal for the money?

Yes its a good deal. The monitor is the analog version not the digital or DVI version. The video card is not that good for gaming. If you can subsitite the nvidia 8800gt or gs, or the ATI 3850 or 3870, or the even newer 9600gt, they would be better choices. Also most people don’t need a quad core processor, they waste a lot of power and are actually slower than the new intel dual core e8400 chip. I would shop around a bit more.

Are you willing to build a system yourself? We can help you select a setup based on your budget and expectations. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Jack Hass;2010518]
Intel® Core™2 Quad Proc Q6600 (2.40GHz,8MB L2Cache,1066FSB)
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz - 2DIMMs
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600GT
[/QUOTE]

The system don’t look bad.

Unfortunately you do not wrote what you’d like to do with your system. Maybe a Core2Duo with a higher clock is a better choice than this low clocked C2Q. In most cases the C2Q is only “kind of cool” to have but mostly two of the 4 cores are ideling.
If you are running Vista I’d recommend 4GB RAM, even if you are using only a 32 bit version, at least 3-3.25GB should be usable with 32 bit OS. Vista is unfortunately a little hungry with ressources. IMO XP would be the better choice…
Instead of a 8600 I’d get a 8800GT if you’d like to game… If you will not game a lot the 8600 shoud be ok.

The rest should be ok.

I agree about trying to update to the 8800gt video card, if you can do it for less than $150.00. Otherwise, just buy it like it is, and get an 8800gt, or ati 3850 or the new 9600gt later.

I totally disagree about needing more memory. My dell inspiron came with 2gb and windows vista, and it ran just fine. I did upgrade to 4gb, but I do pretty intensive video and photo editing, and I was able to get the extra 2gb for only $25.00.

4GB is pretty much useless if you’re running XP (1GB is used for…nothing?).

A C2Q can be nice if the following works: taskmanager -> application -> set affinity -> spread the workload.
It’s somewhat a hassle, but hey if it works it works;)

No way update the 8600GT for $150 to a 8800GT, I’d say $100 or less, you should be able to find a deal for a 8800GT for ~$150 and then sell the 8600GT for $50;)

[QUOTE=KILLorBE;2012203]

No way update the 8600GT for $150 to a 8800GT, I’d say $100 or less, you should be able to find a deal for a 8800GT for ~$150 and then sell the 8600GT for $50;)[/QUOTE]

Thats a great idea, sell the 8600gt on ebay, and get the new 9600gt which is like 160-180 right now. Jackass, thats the way to go. :iagree:

Thanks for the info,

I stalled around on the purchase, you guys initially scared me. The deal is still on the table from Dell though. I am worried about the analog monitor.

If I can accept I don’t need a digital monitor, I am going to get the lowest video card possible from dell, the 128 mb NVIDIA GeForce and replace it with the 8800gt or better the next good sale I see.

My M.O. is I buy a computer and use it for 5 to 7 years. This computer will replace is a 7 year old a dinosaur 1.6 ghz, p4, 512 mb ram 32 mb video card. I have not been able to play a video game with this computer for at least 4 years.

I will use my new computer to photoshop, edit some home videos, I want to be able to play the vista halo game and some of the current vidoe games at close to the highest video settings.

so is a digital monitor a must have?

Not sure what you mean by digital or analog monitor?
Do you mean LCD/TFT (Digital) and CRT (Analog)?

Anyway it doesn’t matter, a widescreen LCD is nice but it sure isn’t a neccesity, personally I still like my 21" CRT better than all the LCD monitors I’ve seen so far (Waiting for affordable OLED monitors:cool:).

I also think a CRT is better for photoshop.

It’s a good deal but dont expect it to be very quiet.
Unfortunately you dont seem to have an LCD/Plasma TV (afaik) which means that most integrated video solutions arent suitable for you TV. :-/
//Danne

[QUOTE=Jack Hass;2014627]Thanks for the info,

I stalled around on the purchase, you guys initially scared me. The deal is still on the table from Dell though. I am worried about the analog monitor.

[/QUOTE]

Some LCD monitors only havd VGA input, which is not as good as the DVI input that a lot of monitors have. Personally If I get a new LCD monitor it better have a DVI input.

I also suggest a dvi input lcd if you can afford it.