My Nero DVD Rom Has Stopped Working!

vbimport

When I Put A Disc In It Spins Round And Makes A Funny Noise And Then Stops. The Last Time I Was Able To Use It, I Was On Windows Media Player Ripping A Disc. It Was Going Quite Fast And Then It Made A Noise And Then Stopped. When I Ejected The Disc It Was Fine, But The DVD ROM Wouldn’t Read Anything.

Please Help!

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

By “The DVD ROM Wouldn’t Read Anything”, you mean all types of media (both burned and pressed CD/DVD), or just one type?

If the drive no longer recognises any disc, have you tried booting from the drive with your Windows CD/DVD?

This will help nail it down to a hardware or software issue. Before attempting to boot from a disc, make sure you set your DVD drive to First Boot Device, in your PC’s BIOS or Boot Menu. :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2598295]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

By “The DVD ROM Wouldn’t Read Anything”, you mean all types of media (both burned and pressed CD/DVD), or just one type?

If the drive no longer recognises any disc, have you tried booting from the drive with your Windows CD/DVD?

This will help nail it down to a hardware or software issue. Before attempting to boot from a disc, make sure you set your DVD drive to First Boot Device, in your PC’s BIOS or Boot Menu. ;)[/QUOTE]

I Do Not Have The Windows CD/DVD Because My PC Is Second Hand And Didn’t Come With It. It Would Not Read Anything At All And I’m Sure It Wasn’t About Winows Media Player. But It Will Read Burned Ones And I forgot that my DVD-ROM Is A Lite-On.

Thanks For Your Reply!

Ah, OK.

So, just to clarify - the drive will read burned discs (CD or DVD?), but not pressed (original) ones? Is the problem reading CD or DVD?

I ask this again because in your reply, you first said it would not read anything at all, then you say it will read burned ones. :wink:

Will the drive burn any disc at all, if you try?

Also, a list of burning software (e.g. Nero, Roxio or even iTunes software), or virtual drive/emulation software (e.g. Alcohol, Daemon Tools etc) that might be currently installed on your PC would be good.

Wait…! It Has Stopped Reading Burned Ones! And It’s Just A Normal DVD-ROM, It Cannot Burn Anything.

Ah yeah sorry - I’m so used to folk saying “DVD-ROM” when they mean burner. My mistake :o

Right…so, not reading anything at all.

As I asked, any emulation/virtual drive software installed, such as Alcohol or Daemon Tools, or MagicISO etc?

Any chance you can get a buddy or family member with a burner in their PC, to burn you a Linux Live CD? You can boot from this without installing anything on your PC.

There are several Linux Live Distros around, a few are gathered here.

Or, on the other hand…it might be a nice time to upgrade to a nice new DVD burner. :wink: