My MPEG-2's don't play properly any more

vbimport

i created (from a dv cam and ulead video studio) a DVD quality file (i assume mepeg-2) a while ago and its always worked. But today i get NO SOUND at all!

Ive downloaded a LOT of video/encoding software yesterday
*dr.divx
*dvd decrypter
*ahead nero v6.6 ultra edition
*dvd shrink

i noticed that ahead nero installed all this indeo codec after the computer rebooted, but i don’t think it installed all of it cos it said i already had newer versions of something…

I looked at old captured video files from my tv tuner (winfast pvr) which is also in mpeg-2, and i get sound but NO VIDEO???

should i download a new codec pack or somthing? im still kind of new to this stuff

oh an ive tried it in windows media player, winamp, and nero media player.

Hi,

If you get the same experience in all the players then my guess is that one of the many(unneccessary I might add actually I have all the three) softwares you installed has also installed a corrupt mpeg2 codec(corrupt[most probably a demo] because it does not filter the mpeg2’s properly for dshow which is the playing filter of WMP). What happens when you install a new mpeg2 codec is that dshow prioritises that as the main filter for mpeg2’s after the installation. This happened to me once wherein I inadvertently( did not know) installed a demo version of Elecard Mpeg2 decoder. After that all I got was the display of files with the propreitary logo of Elecard which can be pretty frustrating. So what you have to do now is find out which of the many codecs you inadvertently installed(inadvertent because the standard installation of all softwares usually installs a lot of stuff you do not want. That is why while installing any player software you should always choose Custom installation and if there is something you do not want then deselect that).

Now here’s what you do:

1. Uninstall all that you installed yesterday in reverse order. I.E. last software that you installed has to be uninstalled first, second last next etc…
  2. Then after each uninstall check the mpeg2’s by playing them again one by one. If it starts playing properly then there’s your culprit(last uninstall).
  3. If you still want to install that software again you can do so by simply selecting a custom install and deselecting the particular codec(mpeg2) which is installed. If you do not have an idea which is the mpeg2 codec there are many websites which list every codec that exists. You can google for them.

Now you should never have any problems again.

Hope this helps.
Unicorn23’

thanks i will give that a try

also an unrelated question, i converted a divx file to a dvd file using divxtodvd(so it looks exactly like a dvd folder with all the vob files and video folder etc…), and when i tried to use nero to burn it it tried to re-encode it first, shouldn’t it just burn it straight to disc?

or should i try burning it straight to disc as a data file?

I think you already caught the problem… I use Nero 6.6.x.x for burning optical media, but I had to unregister the AV codecs it installs before my software players would work normally again. It was the AC3 component that ticked me off–nothing with AC3 audio had sound in my players.

hmmm, i unistalled the Indeo codec that Nero seemed to install but that didn’t seem to change anything

Maybe i should just download a fresh codec pack or somthing???
What should i get or do for this?

btw, i solved the other problem with the divx

Codec packs are the devil. Here’s an easy way to unregister Nero’s DS filters. Copy the following text into Notepad:

regsvr32 /u NDParser.ax
regsvr32 /u NeAudio.ax
regsvr32 /u NeFileSrc.ax
regsvr32 /u NeQTDec.ax
regsvr32 /u NeRender.ax
regsvr32 /u NeVideo.ax

Save the file in your C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter folder with a .bat extension. Then double-click the .bat file you made. That will do the trick.

Hi Macca202,

Glad that your Divx is working fine. But try the other stuff I mentioned before giving up. That’s exactly what I did eons ago and it did work for me.

Best of Luck.
Unicorn23’

Hi,

Sorry forgot your Encoding question. Please read the guides in these forums b’coz you definitely do not know what Nero is doing and you also are not aware of how to make a dvd. The forums are meant for posting probs not addressed in the guides. There is a lock indicating “read first” at the first page of this forum and every other in this site. Please read those before asking this question. The reason why I mentioned this is it will be like reinventing the wheel if I or anyone else has to answer this question for you when there are excellent guides on the same right here written by ChickenMan with a lot of effort and Hard work. Let it not go to waste(OR AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO FINDS THEM GREAT).

Unicorn23’

hang on your eating your own words, first you acknowledge that i solved the problem, but know you are saying that i don’t know how to make a DVD?
well i whatched a dvd today from a divx file from my computer.
I actually did go through chiken mans divx to dvd tutorial but i couldn’t be bothered doing it seeing as though i needed like 5 programs and 4 hours of spair time to do it. Instead i encoded it to vob files etc using dvdtodivx and then with nero i just opened up the Nero buring rom application from nero and just selected dvd-video. so overall it took an hour to encode and 6 minutes to burn.

but yeah i will try the thing you suggested,

thanks tropic i will give it a go and let you know how it goes

Awsome! yeah i got sound back in the file i created with ulead movie studio.
Your a genious

Only i still have the same problem with my mpeg-2 files recorderd from my winfast tv card, i get sound but no video (just black). Its not a problem with winfast because even files i recorderd ages ago that used to work no longer work. Im not sure if the problem occured recently though because i havn’t tried to play these files in AGES!
However the video DOES play properly when played through Winfast tv, but not media player etc…

thanks

Hi,

"also an unrelated question, i converted a divx file to a dvd file using divxtodvd(so it looks exactly like a dvd folder with all the vob files and video folder etc..), and when i tried to use nero to burn it it tried to re-encode it first, shouldn't it just burn it straight to disc?

or should i try burning it straight to disc as a data file?"

What I meant was that if you had read the guides you would know that any video files which are not Vob’s would be encoded by Nero Into one with Vobs. Then only it would be burnt. Sorry you misunderstood. Did not mean to offend.

Unicorn23’.

PS.Good to know that all your probs are sorted out.

not all probs, this is from my last reply:
Only i still have the same problem with my mpeg-2 files recorderd from my winfast tv card, i get sound but no video (just black). Its not a problem with winfast because even files i recorderd ages ago that used to work no longer work. Im not sure if the problem occured recently though because i havn’t tried to play these files in AGES!
However the video DOES play properly when played through Winfast tv, but not media player etc…

Before running the batch file:

regsvr32 /u NDParser.ax
regsvr32 /u NeAudio.ax
regsvr32 /u NeFileSrc.ax
regsvr32 /u NeQTDec.ax
regsvr32 /u NeRender.ax
regsvr32 /u NeVideo.ax

there was no sound when playing MPEG2 files in either DVD or SVCD format, though VCD format played fine. After running the batch file. ATI file player displays the message “Error Could not Open File”. Windows Media Player displays the message “ClassFactory Cannot Supply the Requested Class”. Is there any way of fixing this other than reinstalling Windows?

Help please, Tropic, anybody

Hi rshile,

My guess would be you need a good Mpeg1/2 decoder installed. My suggestion would be to install something like PowerDVD or WinDVd which should solve your problem as what happened(my opinion) was that the Nero filters were the only ones installed for your video files(could be wrong here). When you Uninstalled them(yes that’s what the batch file did), everything went to the garbage. So just install a good media software like I mentioned and everything should be fine. My suggestion would be to also first install Windows Media Plyayer first(fresh install latest version from Microsoft Website) and then proceed as I mentioned. As far as Macca202 is concerned, the culprit in my opinion would still be a corrupt Mpeg2 Decoder.

Hope this helps.