My movie backups turn bad after about 2 years

vbimport

I burn backups with CloneDVD and AnyDVD. The process works fine and I can read the DVDs without problems… for a while. After about 2 years, sometimes less, I cannot read them anymore. Most of the time, the read problem is in the last 20% of the movie.

The problem does not seem to come from the burner because I have used at least 3 with the same problem. The reader does not seem to be at fault either because I have the same read problem with 2 different readers.

I use good quality Taiyo Yuden disks. However, I write on the top side with a non permanent felt pen and after a few days, I add a stick on label printed with an inkjet printer. Could the felt pen or the label be the source of the problem ?

Thanks for your help !

[QUOTE=JGobeil;2511816]I use good quality Taiyo Yuden disks. However, I write on the top side with a non permanent felt pen and after a few days, I add a stick on label printed with an inkjet printer. Could the felt pen or the label be the source of the problem ?[/QUOTE] Sticking paper labels on DVDs is often a death sentence to the disc; please have a look in the following thread in the Blank Media forum:

[B]Sticky paper labels on DVD+/-R discs: beware![/B]

You should also not burn the disc too fast - as a rule of thumb you’re safe at burning speeds up to 12x with modern DVD media in modern desktop DVD burners, but 16x and above may create problems especially at the outer edge (end) of the disc.

I use the same software combo but burn at 8X. But even the 16X ones last more than 2 years. I’ve never had one die.

(Maybe I should go back and check some old ones…)

Thanks DrageMester and Jim for your comments. They are much appreciated.

CloneDVD is set to burn at 8X while my burner and disks are rated at 16X so the problem is not there. I didn’t know about this so I’ll be careful in the future.

The problem with labels is quite a surprise… I’ll definitely stop using them. The disks won’t be as nice but I’ll save a lot of time and money.

I have about 300 DVDs and a good proportion are defective. What a pity. I have been able to recuperate many using petroleum jelly (Vaseline), a trick I got from LifeHacker.
http://lifehacker.com/5510888/save-old-scratched-cds-with-vaseline
but this takes a lot of time. Removing the label is not easy because there is a lot of glue. I tried one and had to use lighter fluid to get rid of the glue - and it didn’t read any better. Humm… what a mess !!! :frowning:

Regards
Jules