My little firmware release: TDK 1.34 on NEC

Hi!

After a little investigation and after comparing a few already hacked .bin files with their originals, I decided to bring out “my own” firmware to the market here, hehe :slight_smile:

Download it here!
Second download location here

I chose the TDK firmware 1.34, because according to this thread it has the highest writing strategy version numbers at the moment. As I’m not able to speedhack media, this must be enough… :wink:

Here are the changes to the original TDK firmware:

• Name string changed to _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A
  • Riplock removed
  • Region protection removed

Note: This firmware does NOT support bitsetting and can NOT burn dual layer discs!

It should work on every ND-2xx0A (and their OEMs). You have to flash it in DOS using this tool from the Dangerous Brothers. :bow:

I got some pretty good results especially for my +RW discs (PHILIPS 041, RICOHJPN W11). I also burned one +R 8x (RICOHJPN R02) and got a very good burn (as good as RICOHJPN R02 can burn). Too bad I can’t perform error scans, as I don’t own hardware for this. Only thing are some reading curves. I attach the RICOHJPN R02 curve at the end. Perhaps some of you can try burning with this firmware and post the results?

Keeping my eyes open for a newer version than 2.21 with bitsetting for Herrie to fumble with myself. :slight_smile:

Higher version numbers do not necessarily mean that writing strategies for existing media was changed.
What they definitely did was adding new mediacodes to this firmware.

Yes!

That was the reason for me to release it.

I wonder why nobody else did before me (TDB?), so I did it myself… :wink:

To all those, who want to try it:

Flash it at your own risk! Nobody can be made responsible for a bad flashed drive or other problems depending on this firmware! You void your warranty when flashing to this firmware!

I have to say that, because this is my first try on modifying firmwares; for me it works great, though… :bigsmile:

Legnerp

Only to set the picture above in the right context: This is, what my Plextor PX-708A (1.07) did with my RICOHJPN R02 @8x from the same spindle:

OK, here two more results:

First one is a Verbatim DataLifePlus (Made in Singapore) DVD+R 8x (MCC 003) with printable surface burned @8x.
Little comparison: It is this media!

Second one is a Platinum DVD-R 8x (RiTEK G05) burned @4x.

This is your first firmware? :slight_smile:

Yes, it is!

If there are enough hacked and original firmwares you can compare, it is not very difficult to hex-edit one yourself… :slight_smile:

It gets more difficult when playing with the writing stategies, it looks a bit chaotic in the editor… :confused: , so :bow: to Herrie and Liggy!

The real work is to find out what to change to achieve your goal for the first time (reverse engineering)! But I didn’t have to do this, since there are lots of original and hacked firmwares for the NEC I could compare… :wink:

Which tool did you use to calculate checksum?

I created an Excel sheet…

I hadn’t guessed that such calculations are possible with Excel :eek:
Herrie sent me a few lines of C-Code that I integrated into my firmware patching program. I guess that was the easier way :bigsmile:
But I guess it’s better not to discuss this algorithm in public. I guess several people would try to hack the firmwares on their own. And probably lots of them would fail making their drives not working anymore.

You’ve got mail…

It surely was! But as I’m a beginner in programming, I chose this way… I think I don’t need it very often… :wink:

You’re probably right! No howtos from my side! whisper: The answers are here in the forum anyway…

Another result: I love this media!!! :bigsmile: Great result with this firmware. :slight_smile: (even a little smoother than with stock 1.07)

It is Fujifilm DVD-R 8x burned @8x of course. I paid 7,01 EUR for five discs in jewelcase here in Germany; not cheap, but well worth the money. Here is what DVDInfoPro tells about it:

Media Information

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID TYG02
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 412352512
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 5.9x 8112KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 08
2x Speed OPC power 0E
2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 06
4x Speed OPC power 13
4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 10 0E 07
4x Write Strategy field 2 97 07 0D 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 80 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 06
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 18
4x Write Strategy field 4 17 85 78 75
4x Write Strategy field 5 D6 89 A8 92 01 20
4x Write Strategy field 6 10 00 D0 00 00
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Media code:

00 AA 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 87 0D 10 …@…R…
66 78 80 00 03 54 59 47 30 32 00 00 04 00 00 00 fx…TYG02…
00 00 00 00 05 AA A2 22 22 20 02 00 06 08 0E 11 …"" …

And here is the reading curve: :slight_smile:

Those are Taiyou Yden media that’s why. Best media there is.

Something wrong with your link, i cant download it

Right click --> Save as… :wink:

I already donne it, it gives me a corrupt 12kb’s file :frowning:

Hmmm… works for me without a problem… :confused:

Anyone else got problems downloading?

What’s your email? I can mail it to you…

I just tried it and it worked fine here.

The link did not work for me.