My Liteon

I bought a liteon 400D, which is supposed to be a 4X burner using DVD-R media, and have never been able to burn at 4X. No matter what 4X media I use it burns at 2X, which is better than 1X where I started with a Pioneer 103, but Pioneer came up a firmware update which made the 103 able to burn at 2X with 4X media, which was a great improvement. On the other hand Liteon has done nothing to improve the 400D performance, the drive is not even on ther web site. I would NEVER buy a Liteon product again just because of there lack of support for their products. I recently bought a Pioneer 106 4X burner and so far has not failed in producing 4X burns with most 4X media. You would think Liteon would try to protect their share of the burner business but I guess they don’t care.

“Do you feel lucky punk” - You save 30$ but do you feel really lucky… should be with the price tags of LiteOn DVDR drives

Yeah, there really should be a sticky warning here about certain LiteOn drives. I see one mod laughing every morning about us having bad LiteOn drives The amount of mis-information and mis-understanding being posted here about what LiteOn has and has not done is truly amazing. Makes for a good laugh in the morning.
That is off course great that he has some fun after all but since this is a LiteOn forum there should be some real advice too. I mean, is he talking about the review or what

It’s not fair that ppl should be left with hope through ooopsa solutions that doesn’t work well after all… time after time.

I live in a little country but I’ll do my part of making sure LiteOn doesn’t make too much money until they have proved they can actually produce a fully operative DVDR drive.

For now it seems to be a lottery with LiteOn DVDR drives…

:slight_smile:

Shame those other posts are locked…

Originally posted by gmartin
…On the other hand Liteon has done nothing to improve the 400D performance, the drive is not even on ther web site. I would NEVER buy a Liteon product again just because of there lack of support for their products. I recently bought a Pioneer 106 4X burner and so far has not failed in producing 4X burns with most 4X media. You would think Liteon would try to protect their share of the burner business but I guess they don’t care.

Welcome

i. Have you updated the firmware?

ii. What media are you using? Post mediacode :smiley:

I somehow remember that LiteOn 400 is basically a rebadged Sony DRU-500A. This drive is actually pre-date 401s.

A quick search yield these:

http://www.sonycrx2xx.org/DRU500a/500aFAQ.htm
http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=17675

maybe it’ll do some good for you.

The firmware is 1.2d and the media I am using is mostly Ridata 4X and Pioneer 4X. They all burn at 4X on my Pioneer 106. In defence of the Liteon drive I will say, so far has not let me down. I feel it is better to have a drive that burns at 2X than 1 burning at 1X or not burning at all, even if advertised as a 4X burner. I thank you all for your replys for I would not have found any info on this on my own.

Originally posted by sasas
Yeah, there really should be a sticky warning here about certain LiteOn drives. I see one mod laughing every morning about us having bad LiteOn drives The amount of mis-information and mis-understanding being posted here about what LiteOn has and has not done is truly amazing. Makes for a good laugh in the morning.

The key part there is “mis-information and mis-understanding” which seems to rampant around these parts the last little while.

Originally posted by simplelife
I somehow remember that LiteOn 400 is basically a rebadged Sony DRU-500A.

It is :iagree:

I have read on forums about people changing the Sony 500A to Liteon by use of firmware but I never heard about changing a Liteon to a Sony also all the horror stories about people making paper weights of there drives playing around with firmware. I was told that the Liteon 400D was a Sony 500A clone but was never told I could use Sony firmware to keep it current seeing Liteon hasn’t supported it.