My LiteOn LTR-40125S stuck at 24x write

vbimport

I have plugged in my new LiteOn LTR-40125S and loaded up Nero 5.5.8.0 only to find that the highest write speed it allowed me to select was 24x.

I have an apsi layer installed to 4.7 (4.7, 4.6, 4.6 and 4.7 are the four readings) and am running Windows XP pro.

The first firmware (came on the drive) was ZS03
I've now flashed that to ZS0A.

It still reads as max 24x in Nero.

I've successfully burnt a copy of MOHAA (SD 2.51) and run it in my Toshiba drive and no error came up.

But I really want to be able to burn data at 40x and I can't seeing that Nero believes I don't have a drive that can do it.

Any help guys>>>???? I'm really miffed that it don't like the drive.... My friend has the same drive with firmware ZS08 and Win2K and Nero 5.5.8.0 and his drive is read as 40x.

Help :slight_smile:

the problem may be with smart burn? smart burn limits the writing speed to certain brands of media however if you turn it off you can burn whatever you want at 40X its just there to make sure that your burns are sucessful and higher quality i think if this isnt the problem im sorry but i dont know what it could be

yeah, what media are u using?

Your Problem is infact the Media type.

I have come across the very same issue and have found out that the max burn speed as was mentioned is controlled by the smart burn option.

I have also found out some thing very interesting, the quality of the dye that is used on the Cd also plays a very important role in telling or tricking the smart burn in allowing you to burn at max speed in this case 40X .

I have tried a Acer certified 16X in the Liteon 40X and was able to burn at 40X with Nero 5.5.8.0 despite the fact that the CD was only certified for 16X !!!

In the same time I have used the certified 24X Mitsubishi disk with Liteon 40X and Nero 5.5.8.0 and was only able to get the Max 32X burn out of it.

Based on what I have seen the closer the color of the dye that is used on the blank to silver the better chance you have of pushing the burn speed to the 40X.

Try to change your media to something with close proximity of the silver dye as you can and you will see the change gauranteed !

Thanks for the replie’s guys.

I’ve only tested the drive with Monkey media (made by Memorex and sold in the UK by Jungle.com). Only rated to 16x.

Cheapo stuff really and the bottom is green/blue so the worst kinda cdr.

Should Nero display 40x with no cdr in and then change the speed when a cdr is in the drive? or does it change it only once a time when you put in a cdr (like a dvd region… sets it to 25x and stays like it until I use a higher speed cdr?).

I will try and see if I can find a sliver bottom cdr (got a few to test a while back) and a few other cdr’s.

I would also like to know where I can get the higher rated speed cdrs and wether or not the silver bottom cdrs are better than a green/silver bottom cdr?

Thanks again for the posts. Will post back when I get home tonight.

Nero will only show 40X if a disc that supports 40X is inserted.

I have a 12x burner and was wondering if anyone has burnt using Disc Planet cd’s??? How high burn speed do you get with them, coz im soon getting a new 32z burner and would like to stick to the media as it is very good and have had no probs on it.

Alam

Thanks again for the help.

I had some philips media (premium 16x) that once I put in showed Nero at 40x.

I will have to find some better media from now on (need to get some now as my last cdr’s are running out).

Any thoughts on Philips 24x premium silver?

Would these be better at 40x rather than the philips 16x premium silver at 40x? I guess they would be, but is it worth paying the extra for them if the 16x are just as good?

My favourite brands:

Kodak (hard to get)
Mitsui (Hard to get)

Prodisc (Sold as various brands, smartbuy, Intenso and others)
MPO (Sold as various brands, Hi space is one)
Ritek (phthalocyanine only, various brands, arita, sometime memorex, traxdata…)

Originally posted by YaZ
[B]I’ve only tested the drive with Monkey media (made by Memorex and sold in the UK by Jungle.com). Only rated to 16x.

Cheapo stuff really and the bottom is green/blue so the worst kinda cdr.
[/B]

Funny you should say that as I use Monkey Media a lot both at home and at work and have only had 2 disks fail with media errors.

The blanks I have currently are also 16x and CDRidentifier shows them as;

ATIP: 97m 15s 11f
Disc Manufacturer: Ritek Co.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

The fact that the disk is rated at 16x and you get the option to burn at 24x is good surely?

They are cheap and cheerful.

I don’t think they are as good as when I first bought them, purely because I have 2 pioneer slot dvd’s which don’t seem to like them very much. They are almost all finished now and I have no complaints about them.
I just won’t be buying those media again unless I’m really skint and need a large amount.

Just thought it worth a mention that the new 24x 50 spindles that are being shipped are CMC Magnetics and Phthalcyanine based.

This goes to show that they really are shipping the cheapest stuff they can bulk buy and put their logo on. However if your lucky you can get a decent-ish set of disks from them…