My LiteON is Dead - Which DVD Burner to get now?

vbimport

Hello Guys!

I’ve come back here after a while now. My LiteON is acting up and a forum member here confirmed that I need to go shopping again.

I see that Samsung SH-S203B is currently the Top DVD burner but, I’ve been told that it burns CDs better than DVDs.

Now, I need to get a new DVD burner and here are my requirements:

[ol]
[li]Excellent Quality DVD +R/-R Burning
[/li][li]Good CD-R Burning
[/li][li]SATA (Preferred)
[/li][li]Must have a lot of Community Support here :stuck_out_tongue:
[/li][li]Active Support from Manufacturer regarding Firmware Upgrades
[/li][li]Should be a good Reader/Ripper[/ol]I normally search around before asking a question. However, this time I’m very busy (in the middle of a project) and time is my main constraint.
[/li]

Any advice would be helpful. :smiley:

Pioneer 215 or 212, Optiarc AD-7200, and then the 203B comes to mind. Not sure if LG has any burners to throw in the mix there, but LiteOn is generally worst with CDs.

No Pioneers, Optiarc, NEC where I live. :frowning:

I guess only LiteON, LG, Samsung and ASUS are available.

The 203b is still a good DVD burner.

Yes, the 203B is still my #1 burner, I highly recomend it. I have Optiarc 7200 and Pioneer 215.

Which is the best for Burning DVDs (+R/-R).

I hear 203B burns CDs better or am i wrong?

Cressida suggested me the LiteON 20A3

How is it compared to Samsung 203B?

Personally I’ve had less problems with LiteOn burns then my 203B’s burns. That said you should be fine with a 203B just don’t expect spectacular scans. Depending what MID of CDs you burn a LiteOn would prolly be fine though. I could post some scans of Prodisc, TY, or Ritek CDs burned with a 20A3P later if it would help.

i just dumped my Liteon LH-20A1L for a Samsung S203, should be getting it in a few days

[QUOTE=chaosoffar2k;2040509]Personally I’ve had less problems with LiteOn burns then my 203B’s burns. That said you should be fine with a 203B just don’t expect spectacular scans. Depending what MID of CDs you burn a LiteOn would prolly be fine though. I could post some scans of Prodisc, TY, or Ritek CDs burned with a 20A3P later if it would help.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your opinion. Could you just clarify whether the LiteON burn’s CDs better or DVDs? You’ve mentioned CDs hence, am confused.

I’ll be mostly burning DVDs with this. That too I want Quality output. Speed is not that important.

[QUOTE=syncrod;2040565]i just dumped my Liteon LH-20A1L for a Samsung S203, should be getting it in a few days[/QUOTE]
Any specific reason for dumping the Litey?

Please post your observations/comparisons if you can once you get the 203B. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=darshanjog;2040654]Thanks for your opinion. Could you just clarify whether the LiteON burn’s CDs better or DVDs? You’ve mentioned CDs hence, am confused.

I’ll be mostly burning DVDs with this. That too I want Quality output. Speed is not that important.[/QUOTE]DVDs, I don’t bother burning CDs with my LiteOns since they’re not as good with them. The 203B will burn CDs with the best but is at best average(among current writers) with DVDs.

Get the LO and the Sammy if you cannot get a Pioneer.

If only one drive is needed then i vote for the Sammy.

I take it you want a SATA drive?

it stopped reading some of my dvds (dvds burnt with it) and it would burn DVD RW or DL. thought was the ICH9R acting up
but when i tried it elsewhere same thing.
firmware flashing didn’t help. so i sold it for $50TTD ($8USD)
the dvds it didn’t read showed up as blanks in vista and unreadable filesystem on an xp machine.
so i ordered the S203 and an ASUS dvd-rom both sata

i know for sure the Liteon can be very noisy when burning dvds, will post more when the S203 reaches

[QUOTE=syncrod;2040701]it stopped reading some of my dvds (dvds burnt with it) and it would burn DVD RW or DL. thought was the ICH9R acting up
but when i tried it elsewhere same thing.
firmware flashing didn’t help. so i sold it for $50TTD ($8USD)
the dvds it didn’t read showed up as blanks in vista and unreadable filesystem on an xp machine.
so i ordered the S203 and an ASUS dvd-rom both sata

i know for sure the Liteon can be very noisy when burning dvds, will post more when the S203 reaches[/QUOTE]
Hmm… Thanks.

That’s the way my Litey died. It can’t read any +R disks (even which it itself had burned). These discs which can’t be read appear as Blanks in Windows Vista SP1 and XP Pro SP2.

I had opened another thread regarding it in the LO forum. Some others have also reported the same thing.

[QUOTE=Bob;2040698]Get the LO and the Sammy if you cannot get a Pioneer.

If only one drive is needed then i vote for the Sammy.

I take it you want a SATA drive?[/QUOTE]
Yup only one drive is needed and that too SATA.

Does the Sammy have any compatibility probs with the following setup:

Motherboard Name: Asus M2N8-VMX
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce 6100-405, AMD Hammer
IDE Controller: NVIDIA MCP61 Serial ATA Controller

I hear many SATA ODDs have probs with specific SATA controllers. I don’t want to get a PCI SATA Card for a burner :stuck_out_tongue:

The only conflicts are in the Sammy mini FAQ’s that i know of are here > http://club.cdfreaks.com/1803675-post5.html

LiteOn 20A4P meets most of your requirements :

Excellent Quality DVD +R/-R Burning :iagree:
Good CD-R Burning , with quality media but 203B is the best
SATA (Preferred) I don’t know whether LO has 20A4x variant or not but in that case 20A3S is very good
Must have a lot of Community Support here :stuck_out_tongue: :iagree:
Active Support from Manufacturer regarding Firmware Upgrades :iagree:
Should be a good Reader/Ripper :iagree:

Add to that the excellent quality of LiteOn DVD+R DL burning and you are set :slight_smile:

syncrod is confusing the issue here :p. I didn’t recommend the old 20A1 (now practically end-of-life). The 20A3 is a completely new/better design, with more firmware updates still to come and which can do 8X scans (unlike the 20A1) and doesn’t have the same issues with CD burning (as the 20A1).

[QUOTE=Bob;2040746]The only conflicts are in the Sammy mini FAQ’s that i know of are here > http://club.cdfreaks.com/1803675-post5.html[/QUOTE]
Seen that. Thanks Bob.