My LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S won\'t recognise CDs anymore only DVDs

vbimport

[qanda]This question is published in the hardware section for the Lite-On SOHW-1693S. Click here to view full specs.[/qanda]Hi pleas help. I have been using the above burner with NERO for two years and only ever use CDs not DVDs. The other day I burnt a DVD which worked by clicking a tab on nero. Now I can’t burn cds any more. Only DVDs. When I put a Cd in to the tray it just won’t recognise that a CD is in the tray. It will recognise, read etc a DVD. Can some one offer a suggestion? Thank you

Hi. If you could try the drive in another computer, it would be the fastest way of knowing the problem is in the drive and not a software/hardware problem in your computer. From your description, it’s probably the cd reading/writing part of it that has died. It happened to me on my first DVD writer, a lite-on 832s.

Thank you for your reply.
One more question… If it is ‘the cd reading/writing part of it that has died’, then is that in the drive or part of the ‘software/hardware problem in the computer’?
If it is in the drive, I will just buy a another one and install it myself.
Sound OK?
Thanks

It’s the drive. CD and DVD read/write are independent of each other, one of them could fail and the other continue working. Like I said, you could try first testing the drive on another computer just to be sure, but most probably the problem is the drive itself.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I think I’ll buy another drive and take the risk.