My LG doesn't detect my blank dual layer dvd for burning

vbimport

Hi guys, last nite I purchased a 25 pack of 4x ridata dual layer " - dvdr’s. ’

My + - dual layer dvd burner is an HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GSA-4120B (LG Burner)
that burns dvd’s at 8x and cd’s at 40x.

My question is, I popped in the blank dual layer disc, and nero did not pop up.
Nero usually pops up when I put a normal blank dvd in, but with the Dual layer nothing happend. Does my drive not recognize these discs? Do I need to update any firmware or anything in order for my drive to recognize a dual layer disc?

Im using Nero 6.6

Your drive supports DVD[B]+R[/B] DL only, if I´m not mistaken…

You are not mistaken. RTFM rules :smiley:

First LG drive that is capable writing DVD-R DL is 4167B.

Michael

ACK!!! aww I guess no dual layer burning for me then =( thanks for the replies guys =)

Dual Layer DVD+R should work. Just have another look into the manual, to make sure.

Michael

So based upon the replies here, I take it that there is no Firmware that will allow my burner to burn " - " type dual layer dvd’s? Is it also not advisable to update the firmware since it might mess it up some how?

Correct. Your drive is incapable of burning DVD-R DL discs period. You can update the firmware if you like and it should not damage the drive, but it won’t add support for burning DVD-R DL discs. Put simply, give up on getting those discs to burn on your burner.

I don’t know why you want to use DVD-R DL discs anyway. They are a newer format than DVD+R DL and have compatibility problems playing on quite a few DVD players. DVD-R DL discs are NOT more compatible than DVD+R DL ones. If I were you, I’d take those DVD-R DL discs back to the shop I got them from and change them for DVD+R DL ones. Note that your writer only supports 2.4x DVD+R DL discs and not any speed faster than that. Also, I would swop them for Verbatim if possible. I suspect your writer is going to have problems burning any other brand than that for DVD+R DL discs.

im haveing a simular problem ive got a ATAPI DVD W DH16W1P ATA on windows vista burns everything but wont pick up a blank memorex dvd+rdl
front of my burner reads dvd+r dl so would assume it should read could the discs being 8x have anything to do with it?

Hi guys.

I have had a number of issues concerning dual +R disks not being recognized.

From anther forum I have been told that the best dual layer to get to ensure trouble free recordings without a doubt was Verbatim (2.4) DVD+R DL. This recommendation was unanimous.

I have found this to be true, however, (and there is always a however) the other day I found that 2 of these disks were not recognized, (no disk has been inserted in drive message).

It was not until I inserted the 3rd DVD that it was recognized. The first 2 did not appear to have been recorded on in any way…or so they appear.

Forgot to mention my burner is also a HL-DT-DVDRAM GSA-4120B (LG burner)

So, any suggestion?

mines a ATAPI DVD W DH16W1P ATA but same problem hopeing to just mimic a solution since i cant seem to find one anywhere ive tried memorex 8x dvd+r dl and verb 2.4 dvd+r dl have ran dvd identifier and it says its capable of it but still wont reconize the dvd dl discs

Hi jtune.

Yeh, I ran Nero DVD identifier also and it showed that the disk was O.K., so why are the bats in the bell tower? :a

Regards

[QUOTE=smumblebee;1334702]Hi guys, last nite I purchased a 25 pack of 4x ridata dual layer " - dvdr’s. ’

My + - dual layer dvd burner is an HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GSA-4120B (LG Burner)
that burns dvd’s at 8x and cd’s at 40x.

My question is, I popped in the blank dual layer disc, and nero did not pop up.
Nero usually pops up when I put a normal blank dvd in, but with the Dual layer nothing happend. Does my drive not recognize these discs? Do I need to update any firmware or anything in order for my drive to recognize a dual layer disc?

Im using Nero 6.6[/QUOTE]

I have the same device and the same issue with the dual layers DVDs
****** http-equiv=“Content-Type” content=“text/html; charset=utf-8”>****** name=“ProgId” content=“Word.Document”>****** name=“Generator” content=“Microsoft Word 11”>****** name=“Originator” content=“Microsoft Word 11”><link rel=“File-List” href=“file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CPROKRO%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml”><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=“false” LatentStyleCount=“156”> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]–>******> <!-- / Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!–[if gte mso 10]> ******> / Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:“Table Normal”; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]–> I purchased the DVD+R DL from Intenso and Maxell and I have still the same results. I would like to ask you if the problem is the firmware or the specific DVDs (compatibility). How can I install new firmware?<o:p></o:p>
I use the NERO 9<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Thank you<o:p></o:p>

****** http-equiv=“Content-Type” content=“text/html; charset=utf-8”>****** name=“ProgId” content=“Word.Document”>****** name=“Generator” content=“Microsoft Word 11”>****** name=“Originator” content=“Microsoft Word 11”><link rel=“File-List” href=“file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CPROKRO%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml”><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=“false” LatentStyleCount=“156”> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]–>******> <!-- / Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!–[if gte mso 10]> ******> / Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:“Table Normal”; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]–> I have the same device (HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GSA-4120B (LG Burner) and the same issue with the dual layers DVDs<o:p></o:p>
I purchased the DVD+R DL from Intenso and Maxell and I have still the same results. I would like to ask you if the problem is the firmware or the specific DVDs (compatibility). How can I install new firmware?<o:p></o:p>
I use the NERO 9<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Thank you<o:p></o:p>