My LDW-411S does not recognize Sony DVD-Rs intermittently

vbimport

It is hard I have a problem:
I have a stack of Sony DVD blanks, a '10 roxio and LDW-411S with my Dell’s original CD writer. I run Celeromn D with Windows XP.

I need dell’s original cd writer for booting.

My LDW-411S does not recognize Sony DVD-Rs, but if put the disk in and pull it out many times, and disable and enableall my optical drives, my
LDW-411S may recognize a blank, write on it and then read it sucessefuly.

I cannot pinpoint why it reads sony discs sometimes.

In most cases the computer tells me there is no disc inside LDW-411S.
The Player is spinning for fiew seconds after i put the blank in and than stops.

What is going on?

I updated LDW-411S driver, installed an IDE cable with more strands.
What is the matter and why it happens but intermittently?

Is there any way I can reconfigure my computer to boot without my original CD player?
If I rewire my computer for booting from the DVD writer BIOS names it:
“Secondary Master: Unknown device”, with jumper set to cable select on the DVD.

It doesn’t work a lot more times than it works when I put the blank in.

Thank you.

I would not use cable select at all.

On the orher side, this drive is an outdated 4x dvd±r/rw - burner.

What sony blanks do you have??

16c/1x blanks
i don’t know how to reconfigure the drive to see them
sometimes it does

how do i not use cable select and how do i redconfigure BIOS to except the dvd writer as one and only? right now it is “unknown device” that doesn’t apper in windowes later if i put thos3e settings on

when i move the jumper to other pins windows doesn’t see the dive

(i got two drives on one cable, 2 cables, one goes straigh t to the HD, other goes to the optical drives)

system runs only when the jumper on some set of pins that is unmarked, not when the jumper is on “master”

original CD player runs at “cable select”

all manuals are long gone

Hi,

are you sure you have installed the new cable properly?
The blue connector must be connected to the motherboard, the black connector has to be plugged to the drive (I am assuming you have only one optical drive installed).

Manuals for your computer can be found on http://support.dell.com

Apart from that, your drive is very old and does not support modern media well.

Michael

Ah, well, DELLs usually want the drives using Cableselect, for whatever reason…

The cable doesn’t effect anything.
Old cable worked just the way new cable does.

Blue tab went into the motherboard.

The problem with “[B]not supporting modern media[/B]” is that the problem is intermittent. Sometimesthe DVD writer reads and writes the DVD, sometimes it doesn’t. That means it potentially can.

Is there any menu I can play around with the configuration of the drive apart from the “windows device manager” ?

Lets face it, the drive is hopelessly obsolete.

[QUOTE=cavemen232;2500694]The cable doesn’t effect anything.
(…)[/quote]Ok.

The problem with “[B]not supporting modern media[/B]” is that the problem is intermittent. Sometimesthe DVD writer reads and writes the DVD, sometimes it doesn’t. That means it potentially can.
“Not supporting modern media” means, the drive detects the blank disc, but it can only use some generic write method with questionable results.
The problem with your drive seems to be somewhat hardware related. Either the drive’s laser is at the end of its lifetime, or it’s simply dusty. Try to clean the drive.

Is there any menu I can play around with the configuration of the drive apart from the “windows device manager” ?
No.

Michael

i can try to clean it, but how do i do it safely?
i know that they make special discs for that

the drive wasn’t used for a long time and is likely not to be worn out

it reads office depot discs well, so i would likely ask someone for a disc like that so i can try to use those discs

Maybe there is a way to “stimulate” my drive to write the sony the dvd’s?

Thank you.
V.T.

for some reasons the DVD disks i made with the drive can’t be read too
sometimes

other discs are

my newer dvd reader that dell came with reads those discs sucessefuly, so it ain’t a problem for me now

[QUOTE=cavemen232;2501053]i can try to clean it, but how do i do it safely?[/quote]Method 1: Try canned compressed air
Method 2: Dismantle the drive and clean the optics. Also clean and re-grease the rails.

i know that they make special discs for that
You can try that also.
But any cleaning attempt won’t solve the general problem of that drive: incompatibility with the blank media that is available today.

Maybe there is a way to “stimulate” my drive to write the sony the dvd’s?
If cleaning the drive does not work for you, buy a new drive. Seriously.

Michael