My laptop will load data cd’s i.e. excel, word ete, but it won’t load DVD’s or pc cd’s or dvd games

vbimport

Can anyone help. I had my laptop fixed due to windows xp not starting up. My laptop will load data cd’s i.e. excel, word ete, but it won’t load DVD’s or pc cd’s or dvd games.

However when I put a DVD or cd in the d drive I can hear it trying to connect but nothing happens no error messages it’s like it trying to do something. Before it was fixed there were no problems with DVD’s or cd’s.

I tried deleting the upper and lower filters but in {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} there is only the lower filters no upper filters.

I have tried Allow active content to run on my computer. I have tried changing the speed and still nothing.

I have been told I may need an optical drive but not shore. Can anyone help

I have winxp home Toshiba A60

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=Jaide353;2499610]Can anyone help. I had my laptop fixed due to windows xp not starting up. My laptop will load data cd’s i.e. excel, word ete, but it won’t load DVD’s or pc cd’s or dvd games. [/quote]Can you access the DVD contents using Windows Explorer?

Before it was fixed there were no problems with DVD’s or cd’s.
Interesting…
What drive is currently installed? Same drive as before? We need the exact model# (check device manager)

Inability to handle a certain type of media (CD or DVD) is often an indicator for a laser that went defective. Maybe cleaning the lens does help.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2499621]Hi and Welcome!Can you access the DVD contents using Windows Explorer?
Interesting…
What drive is currently installed? Same drive as before? We need the exact model# (check device manager)

Inability to handle a certain type of media (CD or DVD) is often an indicator for a laser that went defective. Maybe cleaning the lens does help.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi, Not sure what to look for in Device Manager?

[QUOTE=Jaide353;2499684]Hi, Not sure what to look for in Device Manager?[/QUOTE]Look for your optical drive and tell us, what drive is listed there.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2499687]Look for your optical drive and tell us, what drive is listed there.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I can not find the optical drive in device manager.
I have DVD/CD-ROM TEAC DV-W24C and Disk Drives HTS5424040M9AT00. Please direct me if this is not correct.

Hi,[QUOTE=Jaide353;2499693]
I have DVD/CD-ROM TEAC DV-W24C [/QUOTE]Thanks! That was what I was asking for. Seems to be a CD and DVD reader. No writing capabilities at all.

Please go through this article: http://club.myce.com/f61/troubleshooting-my-optical-drive-doesnt-recognize-discs-like-they-should-83984/

Michael

Sorry for being so thick I have gone through to http://club.myce.com/f61/troubleshoo…-should-83984/ but I am not sure what part of this is going to help me?

Jaide

Try a bootable CD and DVD (examples for the latter: Vista or Windows 7 install disc, better: Linux Live DVD like Knoppix). You may need a friend with a working DVD burner for that.

Clean the lens of your drive.

Michael

The optical drive is boken so I have to buy a new one

Thanks for reporting back. :slight_smile:

Michael