My laptop has stopped burning dvd's

[qanda]This thread is about the Toshiba Satellite P300-156. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I used to be able to burn movies to dvd fine then i realised that some of the disks wer still blank i was using windows dvd maker which i imediately assumed was the problem i then tried a few other dvd burning tools all with the same results they would all tell me my disk was finished but the disks remained blank i have recently had to do a full system restore because i had tried to fix the problem by just guessing. well i thought this would have cured the issues i had but it has not again i have tried several different types of disks and burning software to no avail and really dont wanna make same mistakes. i get no errors, i can burn cd’s and read all disks the global settings are correct, windows tells me my driver is up to date and that the device is working properly i am stuck please can some1 help?

oh ive got windows vista home premium and my burner is
TssTcorp CDDVDWTS-L632H ATA DEVICE

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Hi and Welcome!

is your laptop still covered by warranty?
If so, then contact Toshiba support. I guess there is something wrong with the drive, since it even didn’t work after restoring the factory preinstallation.
Cleaning the lens and using other blank media (preferably Verbatim) are additional measures.

Another thing you could try:
Get a USB stick with at least 1GB. Then download Sidux CD image (this is a live Linux distribution) and burn the .ISO to CD.
Boot from that CD-R and use the built-in utility to create a bootable USB stick with Sidux on it. Then shutdown and boot from the USB device you created previously.
Sidux comes with K3B, a “Nero-style” CD/DVD burning application. This should allow you to “test drive” your burner. If you are not successful either, then the drive is faulty and needs to be replaced.

Michael

HI thanks 4 your reply

I actually had to do my restore off a DVD recovery disk i had made i was unable to find any back up files on my system the original factory restore could not be found either i tried also to back up from dvd set but that didnt work either so i had to boot off my system recovery dvd’s could the fault have been there wen i made the recovery disks?

the laptop does still have warranty but not in my name as i purchased it off a friend.
I have been to toshiba customer support and checked everything in the self diagnostics test and all seems the way it should be apart from wer it tells me to check device manager

In order to check whether the optical drive is visible under the Windows Device Manager application, and that it is correctly configured, you should follow the steps detailed below:-

. Click the ‘+’ symbol immediately next to the DVD/CD-ROM drives entry - this will display the drive manufacturer and model number.
2. Double-click the drive manufacturer and model number entry - this will display the properties for the installed optical drive.
3. Select the General tab - the Device Usage option in this section should be set to Use this Device (Enable) in order for the drive to operate.

but there is no device usage option available.
also problem with next step

After Step (5) you should see an entry titled IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in the notebook’s hardware device list - if this is not the case then you should proceed to the next check in the diagnosis process. If the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers entry is listed, then you should follow the steps detailed below:-

1. Click the ‘+’ symbol immediately next to the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers entry in order to display a list of configurable devices - if after performing this step the options for either Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel are not listed, then you should proceed to the next check in the diagnosis process.
    2. Double-click the Secondary IDE Channel listing in order to display its properties.
    3. Select the General tab - the Device Usage option in this section should be set to Use this Device (Enable) in order for the drive to operate.
    4. Select the Advanced Settings tab - the Transfer Mode option should be set to DMA if Available in order for the drive to operate.

there is no primary or secondary IDE channel only
IDE channel
and 2 intel controllers

any clue as to wat this means would be greatly appreciated thanks very much!

Hi,[QUOTE=chrisevs80;2282603]
I actually had to do my restore off a DVD recovery disk i had made i was unable to find any back up files on my system the original factory restore could not be found either i tried also to back up from dvd set but that didnt work either so i had to boot off my system recovery dvd’s could the fault have been there wen i made the recovery disks?[/quote]I don’t think so. If there was something wrong with the recovery discs, then you would have not been able to reinstall your system.

the laptop does still have warranty but not in my name as i purchased it off a friend.
So you may claim your warranty with the help of your friend. Perhaps ownership and warranty can be transferred to you.

I have been to toshiba customer support and checked everything in the self diagnostics test and all seems the way it should be apart from wer it tells me to check device manager
(…)

but there is no device usage option available.
With Windows XP, there is :wink: But I guess, you did not disable the drive :wink:

there is no primary or secondary IDE channel only
IDE channel
and 2 intel controllers
Vista is slightly different from XP.
Perhaps this might help: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

any clue as to wat this means would be greatly appreciated thanks very much!
They asked you to check

[ul][li]if the drive is not disabled (I guess, it is not) and
[/li][li]if DMA is enabled (see CDfreaks troubleshooting article mentioned)[/ul]
[/li]Even if DMA would be not enabled for whatever reason, you should be able to burn a DVD.

I still suggest trying the Linux from USB storage device. This would clearly rule out if there is a Windows related software issue or bad hardware.

Michael